Updating Ubuntu to 8.04 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilloz

I've sent away for the new version of Ubuntu 8.04, not the Beta version, the complete new version. Will I encounter any problems inserting the CD to update my present Ubuntu 7.10 version and not affect my updates and present additional programs already installed? I get the feeling that when I install the CD, it will start up like a new install and format everything or am I incorrect on that assumption?

gilloz said:
I've sent away for the new version of Ubuntu 8.04, not the Beta version, the complete new version. Will I encounter any problems inserting the CD to update my present Ubuntu 7.10 version and not affect my updates and present additional programs already installed? I get the feeling that when I install the CD, it will start up like a new install and format everything or am I incorrect on that assumption?
Do you have an internet connection? You could have run a dist upgrade instead of ordering the CD. Though having the CD is definitely a good thing. I'm sure that you can still run the dist upgrade and point it to the cdrom instead of the repositaries on the net using the "apt-cdrom" command. Check the official forums, this is your best bet for everything ubuntu.

Thanks guys for the replies. I already ordered the CD. They say it will be 4 to 6 weeks. Thats OK. I have been reading different forums on Ubuntu new version and there sure are a lot of problems. I'm going to wait a bit before I do anything. I may just do a complete clean install as oppose to just upgrading. I don't want to download the ISO. I heard how long that took for some people. It appears that there are more problems then i ever anticipated. I will just stand by and watch the circus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back