Upgrade from Intel i5 3470 for Windows 11

bazz2004

One of my W10 64 bit desktops has a processor listed as not being supported by Windows 11. It's an Intel i5 3470 cpu. Anybody know whether I can pop in another cpu to gain compatibility or is this a new PC or motherboard exchange job?

You can not pop in another CPU. Your motherboard does not support any Windows 11 compatible CPU. The best it supports is i7 3770K, and its still only 3rd gen - Windows 11 only support 8th gen+, as of now (things might change until its release in few months though, so dont rush to buy new upgrades just yet, if you dont want to).

Weirdly enough you could get new motherboard with a Celeron J4105, which is about 85% less lowerful than your current i5 3470, and about 100% less powerful than above mentioned i7 3770K, and it would still support Windows 11, cos it's newer gen (was released in 2017).

That just goes to show that these CPU restrictions has nothing to do with whether they can actually run Windows 11 or not, whatever reason Microsoft is blocking those CPUs its not that. But it is what it is.

Thanks for the info. The Dell desktop serves me very well so I hope that W11 becomes less picky about the processors it supports before it goes mainstream

I bought a used Optiplex 7010 and it has i5-3470, but it has Windows 11.

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
For a long time now it has been possible to hack an installation of W11 to bypass the extra security for hardware required by the OS. It's unlikely that Microsoft have suddenly relaxed the requirements. The worry with this is that Windows update will at some stage block such systems from being kept fully updated.

I bought a used dell off internet... I think it self upgraded itself from windows 10... but now I have actdivate windows sign at bottom of my screen.
anyways...
I have a question if you can help me with.
So my opti 7010 with i5 3470... is having problems running some games like call of duty, despite having RTX 3060 ....
is it wise to to up grade just CPU or should I save up and upgrade everything to new generation motherboards and CPU? if so I have to upgrade ram, case also?
and what budget CPU do you reccomend that is good enough to run Call of duty?
thanks in advance

is it wise to to up grade just CPU or should I save up and upgrade everything to new generation motherboards and CPU? if so I have to upgrade ram, case also?
The motherboard in the OptiPlex only supports 3rd generation Intel Core processors, so there's little point in trying to upgrade what's already there. Swapping the i5 for a secondhand i7-3770 and adding more RAM isn't going to be cost-effective, because it's just not going to give you the performance increase you're looking for, unless the version of Call of Duty you're playing is one of the much older ones.
what budget CPU do you reccomend that is good enough to run Call of duty?
Which CoD game are you playing?

Back