Upgrade PC or buy a PS3?

jarulezz

Hello everyone!

Not sure whether this is the right section to post the thread and also I'm sorry the long post btw.

I just got some cash for Xmas and I'm wondering whether to upgrade my rig or just buy a ps3. I mainly game and will game on my PC, I live in the UK and right now I have £370 saved up, but Im willing to wait a bit more.

Right now my PC is:

CPU: Intel Dual Core E2200 @ 2.75Ghz (overclocked)
Mobo: ASUS P5Q SE/R
Ram: 2 x Kingston 2GB DDR 2
Video: ATI Radeon EAH4850 512MB
HDD: 2 x 80 GB, 1 SATA, 1 IDE
Sound: Realtek/Logitech X-540

And I would like to upgrade to:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz (i might overclock to 4Ghz)
Mobo: ASUS P8P67
Ram: GSkill Ripjaws x or GSkill Sniper (both kits DDR3, 2x4Gb (8Gb), 1600Mhz)
Video: (same as above)
HDD: (same as above) but might get a WD Caviar Blue 500GB or Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Sound: (same as above)
OS: I have to get Windows 7 64-bit for the RAM to fully work

And I also would like to get a case for good airflow and I was thinking about this one:
Case: Corsair 600t
but I am open to suggestions (if it has fans, preferably blue or white)

And a good CPU cooler for overclocking:
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Now, the upgrade would cost me (prices from Amazon):
No case: around £335
With case: around £470
With Noctua: around £535

So, looking at my budget and the prices for the compulsory components (£335) i could buy that. But that would mean high temperatures for my CPU, because I've got crappy airflow in this case (1 case fan in, 1 case fan out)

Now, a PS3 Slim 320GB budle with 3 games (FIFA12, BF3, Uncharted 3) is for £250.
or a PS3 Slim 160GB with either FIFA12 or BF3 is for £190.

Im not interested in an Xbox because of Xbox live Gold, I want to play online without additional payments.

Now, i cant decide what to get - I always gamed on a PC, but I realised that since I started building my own rigs, I spent over a £1000, where I could have got a console and could game on it till now. But I heard that PS4 will come out in late 2012 - but I dont want to wait another year.
But then again, games for PC are cheaper than for PS3.

I've played a bit on a PS3, but Im not as good on the consoles as I am with the mouse and keyboard, but I could buy the EagleEye accessory (because I would have spare cash) and use the both instead of a controller.

I would like some advice from you guys or suggestions to maybe get a cheaper rig, but I think thats like the cheapest and best I could find. I have a spare 32" LCD TV laying around in the house.What would you go for?

The Corsair 600T is a fine case... just built a new computer using one... Get a Corsair Mosular power supply to go with it... The White one is very striking.

if you want to play hardcore pc games like BF3 , then you need to upgrade your Graphics card too, so if you don't want to pay a lot of money , then PS3 will be a better choice for you.

A graphics card upgrade is definitely required; I'd think just a CPU upgrade won't help much.

Why choose a high-end Noctua cooler for a budget build? The 2500k doesn't even need serious cooling for a 3.8ghz+ overclock. On top of that you can always use the stock cooler (if it comes with one) until you get the money to upgrade. You'll still be able overclock a bit with the stock cooler.

For sure you should hold off on the hard drive purchase.

This doesn't seem like an extremely hot build so I think you could reuse your case if you wanted.

You should look into student discounts (if possible obviously) for Windows 7, that'll cost $30 USD.

You can also consider an AMD based computer, which would be fairly reasonable at this price range.

I was looking at AMD setups, mobos are around £80 and a 6-core FX6100 was £100.
But i read that 6-core only uses 3 core, but has 6 threads - whereas the i5 2500k uses 4 cores.

what if i bought another hd4850 and crossfired them? will that be enough

but, if i have to upgrade me GPU as well, then I think Im just going to buy a ps3. I might just buy a better LGA775 cpu to play older games.

Thanks for the info guys!

I think the Corsair 600T and the Noctua cooler are excessive for your budget, and probably the 2500K is as well. A £60 case and a £20 cooler should be fine for your needs, you're not going into hardcore overclocking territory.

Another 4850 in CF will give you decent performance in new games, and you can pick one up on ebay for under £40 nowadays. Or alternatively you can sell your 4850 and buy a mid range card (GTX 460, Radeon 6850). So I'm pretty sure you can get decent performance in modern games for your budget.

It's up to you if you want to buy a console or upgrade your rig, just be aware that PS3 graphics are about the same as low quality on the PC.

the p8p67 does have 2 PCI-Express x16 and is CF ready

but i decided that I dont want to spend all my money and will go for ps3
pretty sad as i've always favoured pc gaming, but its just so expensive to upgrade :(

This isn't really a question where you should ask others for input. Either you're a PC gamer and you settle for scrounging up cash to upgrade when you can, or you forgo that all together and buy a console and a nice new TV.

Now if you plan on sticking with PC gaming, you can actually completely re-haul your existing system within your limited budget. An Asus P8P67 will set you back ~£108, an i5 2500k ~£165, 2x4GB DDR3 ~£36, and the Corsair 600T about £128 (all these prices on Scan after VAT).

This adds up to £417 and is just a bit above your currently set budget.

you need a good GPU, maybe cut back the ram to 4/6gb and get a new gpu

this is a good value card for gaming: nVidia 550ti

pc is better as its easier to mod em . I just modded my GTA 3 and after so many years, here I am playing it all over again.

Back