Upgrade Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikyalex

Before i start i should probably mention that i did see the other power supply thread but thought it was gettin a bit full lol...... anyway, just a quick question....

I am hoping to order some new parts for my computer soon:

Abit KN8 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 3200
128Mb Asus PCI-E 6600GT-TD

Do you think my current Generic 400+ Watt power supply will be able to handle these, i tried working it out but failed miserably. :eek:

Any help appriciated.

400W should be enough assuming you don't have a lot of other things plugged in, however if your PSU is a low quality one then it may be a problem.

What make/model is it? How many amps on the 12v rail?

It's a 3XS Systems power supply, it is a generic unit supplied with 3XS systems from 'Scan Computers'.

12v rail=18A

Well, if it were me.... I personally wouldn't take the chance. You have some nice high quality parts in your machine, I wouldn't risk them all with a PSU that would be best suited to an electronic popcorn maker.

PSUs are cheap. You can get a high quality 400w from companies like fortron for great prices. I don't know of any U.K. sites to point you to, sorry!

i had a 400 generic PS that came with the case and I ran a P4 extreme edition, 6800GT, and all that other jazz. It has never failed me since, but I've only had the system for about 1 year, so I can't talk about longevity. You can use your old PS until it breaks down. It won't hurt any of your parts if it goes bad since...the only thing that happens is the juice stops running. Well best of luck.

I ran a dual processer machine off a 300 watt hipro powersupply for awile when the 600 watt Enermax it normally ran on was fried by a srege and it worked untill a new powersupply arrived but I wouldn't trust any generic powersupply for a long period of time sience they have a tendency to blow and can destroy other components in the process.

LipsOfVenom said:
You can use your old PS until it breaks down. It won't hurt any of your parts if it goes bad since...the only thing that happens is the juice stops running.

I think that in your case you were lucky. When PSUs go bad, they can (and often do) take out other parts with them along the way. :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back