Upgrade time?

pcnthuziast

I'm looking at 9th gen Intel and wonder if it is really the best time to buy. Since it's the end of 14nm, I feel it's a double edge sword. Good because you get a very mature and refined iteration of the architecture, but bad because the next release will probably be a much bigger performance leap than has been seen from gen to gen in awhile. Currently I'm running a 6700k and can already see it bottleneck my gtx 1080 in some scenarios, enough at least for me to think that it would most certainly hold a much better card back significantly, something like a 2080 or 2080 ti for example, seems pointless to pair with my current cpu and before I can upgrade my gfx, I need to upgrade the cpu. The question then: Is now a good time and is the 9900k a good enough jump from the 6700k to make it a worthy upgrade I can sit on for 3-5 years? Or should I wait for 10nm?

Well thats a tough one to answer, what games are starting to make you bottleneck and slow down at times ?

What are your specs ? sometimes, hdd/ssd and ram speeds play a big factor of how well your cpu is handling at times.
Coming from a guy still on this old 7400 kabylake, I knew right from the get go after rebuilding.
That the 5400rpm wd blue drive and corsair ballistix at 8gb would kill me at times with newer end games during the year.
A good solid upgrade to both parts to match my evga gtx 1050 ti sc would even things out.
I barely even notice choke ups from it anymore, it just runs beautifully without fault.
That 9900k price at amazon might remain the way it is until the end of spring.
After that expect the prices to climb up, with kids getting out of school and going back last week of july.
I suggest you wait a few weeks or a month at best to see what you really need to do.

Last edited:
Back