Upgrade to 300W power supply for a 300W graphics card?

Hello!

I'm currently running on an eMachines ET1831-07, and as such have a 250w power supply and just a chipset. (I have no idea what I'm talking about, this is what my fiancé told me to post. I trust him because he's a computer science major >.>) I was wondering if there's a power supply with 300w output that I can upgrade to without.. Err.. Melting my motherboard, since the only graphics cards I can find that he says will make any difference on my game quality require 300w.

I'm not looking for max fps, or high quality graphics or anything, I just want the games to be playable. :)

Thanks much!
~Hannah

Edit: If anyone could also recommend a graphics card that I could use, I'd really appreciate that too! I have one PCI 16 pin slot open, and one PCI express pin slot according to my fiancé. Thank you!

Thanks for the responses!

I'm not sure if you mean screen resolution, but just from eyeballing it my screen is about... 9x14 or 15"

Gamewise, I've been playing a lot of Minecraft, League of Legends, Eden Eternal, and a bit of World of Warcraft. There are several other games that I'd like to try, like DC Universe and City of Heroes, but the fps lag is just unbearable, even on lowest settings. :x

Do yourself a favor and get a stronger power supply than 300W. I recommend one with at least 450W's

I wasn't entirely sure if my computer would be able to handle a 450W power supply.. It is a bit old ^^; My fiancé said that there's the possibility of upgrading to something much stronger causing my computer to. Well, basically melt inside. :x

Nah, the computer will only draw what it needs from the power supply. Larger the power supply the more available power for the computer. So like clifford said, it would be a better investment to get a 450W or so.

Nah, the computer will only draw what it needs from the power supply. Larger the power supply the more available power for the computer. So like clifford said, it would be a better investment to get a 450W or so.

I'll have to look into that :eek: Thanks so much! :D

The link to Newegg above illustrates a potential problem for you. The image gallery for your machine has an open case shot that seems to me to show a potential conflict with a video card. The RAM slots are quite close to the line a video card would use, should it be full size. Measuring here before buying said card will reduce your headache potential. Additionally check to see if such video card needs the extra power plug and that your new power supply unit has one for it. It is all in the details for people such as yourself.

Back