Upgrading Graphics Card on K7N420 Pro Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm trying to install a Geforce fx5200 128MB graphics card (not brilliant but cheap!) into the spare agp slot on a K7N420 Pro motherboard on Mesh Matrix XP 1600 PC.

I've uninstalled the driver for the integrated 32MB Geforce graphics card but when the new graphics card is installed I just the get a blank screen with crosshairs!

I think I need to alter the Int Display First option in BIOS setup to the AGP slot before inserting the card but I am unable to select this option in the menu although I can select the other options on this menu!

Any help would be appreciated.

I just downloaded and had a quick read through your user's manual, and it sounds to me like your motherboard SHOULD be automatically changing that "Int Display First" option for you once you install the new card....

Try this just to confirm:

Take the new card out.

Boot into safe mode and go into you device manager. Find the integrated graphics driver and delete.

Turn off computer.

Put new card in , ATTACH MONITOR TO NEW CARD, and boot into your bios.

At this point, your bios SHOULD be switching that "Int Display First" option to AGP.
If not, are you able to manually switch it at this point?

Let us know how it goes.

If you are unable to, can you also give us your power supply info? Perhaps the card is not getting enough love from the PSU to power up?

Thanks DonNagual.

I think you're right about the the motherboad automatically recognising the new card (and attaching monitor!) as new card details displayed when pc boots up with new card installed. BIOS still states "integrated/AGP" and cannot be manually amended.

However, I now have a different problem! When I boot up with new card in I get the loading XP screen which is then followed by a blank screen thus cannot use XP or install driver for new card. This could be power problem as suggested, new card requires min 300W system power supply but it could also be that I haven't been able to reset current graphics card with windows.

After removing integrated card program the installation instruction manual says to go to Control Panel - Display - Settings - Advanced - Adapter - Change and then select standard VGA types and standard VGA adapter in hardware wizard. However, there is no Change option in the XP Home Edition on Adapter screen just Properties and List?

Any ideas as I'm bit of thicko on computers if you hadn't already guessed!

If you are now able to at least get a picture on your monitor when it is plugged into the graphics card, at least we know your motherboard is recognizing it.

What make/model is your power supply? You can tell by looking at the sticker that is ON the power supply itself.

I'd say at this point, that is your number one suspect.

I couldn't find a sticker as such but the pc power cord has 5a/250v moulded onto it and PC monitor power cord has 10a/250v moulded onto it. On the basis that watts = amps x volts the pc power is 1,250 watts and monitor power 2,500 watts. The graphics card requires min 300 watts. I-Sheng is shown on both power cords, is this manufacturer or model number?

Given that the XP loading screen appears OK do you think the power is sufficient?

As per my last post I'm still concerned that by not resetting the graphics card to windows before installing new card XP will not appear when booted up to enable me to install the new driver.

Your advices would be appreciated.

Hi Orangepeel,

So, you cannot get into Windows *at all* once the new videocard is installed? It never gets all the way to the desktop?

How about Safe Mode? Can you interrupt the XP boot and get into Safe Mode with the new card installed?

If so, you can try manually changing the newly detected card in the Device Manager (should have a yellow ! on it) into Standard VGA and reboot into normal mode. From there, a quick install of the latest NVidia Forceware drivers should do the trick.

If you are still having problems, you can try the newer/beta NForce1 drivers at (installing on your integrated video, of course):
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=971

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back