Upgrading my PC, want opinions

I5 8400
gtx 1070
gigabyte h310m ds2
apacer 1x8gb 2400MHz
Seasonic M12II-520 EVO (bronze plus, full modular)

I've got a budget of 800€ and wanted the best for that price, so I tried to get the best combination, and that's what I came up with.

I'm upgrading for gaming on a 1080p 60hz monitor (all games including triple a titles). Considering that the gtx 1070 is a bit overkill, I'd eventually upgrade to a 144hz monitor.

I've been told to go for a better cpu, dual channel ram, 16gb, and a 1070ti or 1080 if I really want to go for 144hz, but I simply don't have the budget. Is what I have still a good balance ? Should I even go for a 144hz monitor or should I rather stay at 60 ?

Thanks for reading :)

Its hard to tell exactly what you want, bring back the link of the Monitor-TV.
As for upgrading I would suggest you start off with adding another 8gb of ddr4 memory.
When you attempt to do 1080p settings at very high or ultra settings.
It will make the gameplay smoother, non jittery with intense game effects.
For your core i5 8400 set the new overclock speed to 3.6ghz and leave it there.
If you also don't mind which gtx 1070 do you have by chance ?

Haha, sorry, I tried to keep it as short as possible because I know long descriptive messages are discouraging to some.

I may have been a tad confusing when describing my situation : the parts in the beginning of my post are the ones I'm planning to buy. The rig I possess right now is wayyy shittier. I'm changing everything but the case and ssd/hdd, hence the big upgrade list. New cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram, and psu.

What I want precisely is a good, solid rig which'll last me for a few years (4 would be awesome), with which I can play any game (including demanding triple A games) at 60+ fps on my 1080p monitor. I currently have a phenom 965 and radeon hd 7850, which struggle to run anything (including Overwatch) at a constant 60 with everything at lowest, which I'm quickly growing tired of.

Considering that I'm not planning on upgrading for a good while (money's hard to come by), I want the best rig possible for my 800€ budget. I decided on a gtx 1070 + i5 8400 because that seemed like the best balance.

Now I also wanted to ask what you think about the nvidia founder's edition gtx 1070, because it's the one I picked. It's the cheapest one by far here, going for 430€ compared to 480€ for the aftermarket 1070's. I'm aware that it's louder and hotter, and I know a lot of people **** on that card, but considering the current inflated prices I still think it's a good pick. In any case I don't have enough right now to go above, but I could wait. Would I be making a huge mistake by getting a FE 1070 now ?

Again sorry for being confusing as ****. I can't edit my post, can I ? Oh well.

For your budget, what you are buying is perfectly fine. The only thing I stress is getting another 8GB for a total of 16GB. You're going to need it, especially down the road. As for the video card, I would see if you can wait it out for another month or so. Video card prices are ever so slightly starting to go down. They may go down some more as supply increases. That way you may be able to afford 16GB and maybe even a nicer card. If you go for the FE, just make sure you have proper air flow in your case. Good luck.

Haha, sorry, I tried to keep it as short as possible because I know long descriptive messages are discouraging to some.

I may have been a tad confusing when describing my situation : the parts in the beginning of my post are the ones I'm planning to buy. The rig I possess right now is wayyy shittier. I'm changing everything but the case and ssd/hdd, hence the big upgrade list. New cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram, and psu.

What I want precisely is a good, solid rig which'll last me for a few years (4 would be awesome), with which I can play any game (including demanding triple A games) at 60+ fps on my 1080p monitor. I currently have a phenom 965 and radeon hd 7850, which struggle to run anything (including Overwatch) at a constant 60 with everything at lowest, which I'm quickly growing tired of.

Considering that I'm not planning on upgrading for a good while (money's hard to come by), I want the best rig possible for my 800€ budget. I decided on a gtx 1070 + i5 8400 because that seemed like the best balance.

Now I also wanted to ask what you think about the nvidia founder's edition gtx 1070, because it's the one I picked. It's the cheapest one by far here, going for 430€ compared to 480€ for the aftermarket 1070's. I'm aware that it's louder and hotter, and I know a lot of people **** on that card, but considering the current inflated prices I still think it's a good pick. In any case I don't have enough right now to go above, but I could wait. Would I be making a huge mistake by getting a FE 1070 now ?

Again sorry for being confusing as ****. I can't edit my post, can I ? Oh well.

Yes the coffelake i5 8400 should hold you more than 4 years unless you oc 24/7 then it will last less given its life expectancy.
Yes the GTX 1070 should hold you down for a long time and it will handle your current games and newer ones without stress/
While you are building up your budget funds and storing it away, I recommend you aim for the cpu first.
Reason being that coffee lake chip you picked as a good price range point to pick up now and early june of this year.

I was looking at newegg.com this morning and saw that hexacore going for 179.99.
I thought the developers at intel had finally lost their minds and let it go for cheap usually its too expensive. :p
Jokes aside save the video card purchase for last, no one knows for sure when the prices will drop.
But all video card makers have enough supplies and nvidia-ati is not jacking up the price tags but its part of the retailers fault for setting things too ****ing high.

The gpu prices wont drop, if yall keep buying them at the bloated prices. the i5 8400 is at a perfect price to purchase it. I dont own one, but under $200 for a hexacore buy intel is great.

I ended up buying everything, grabbing a used 1070 (Inno3D x2 v3) for 360€, and using the money saved for 16GB dual channel. I wasn't planning on buying used but the seller seemed to be trustworthy. The card was apparently only overclocked to bench and just used for gaming. I can always return it if it's damaged in any way, it still has 1.5 yrs warranty and I'd get the receipt.

I guess I'll see when everything arrives !

has 1.5 yrs warranty and I'd get the receipt.

I guess I'll see when everything arrives !
Nah when you get it find the manufacturer phone number and ask them how long the warrenty is still left on it.
Also asked about transfer of ownership, some video card makers really don't like that especially if they know that owned card has problems from the past.
If they say no to everything, I highly recommend you ask for a full refund and that includes shipping you paid for to have mailed to your home.

Let us know what happens over time and best of luck with your new computer build, make sure to watch a complete video of building a computer from start to finish.

Back