Upgrading to Dual Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I basically have a simple question (or two :p ) regarding whether or not I can upgrade my RAM without too much bother, which some kind person can hopefully answer quickly. :)

At the moment, I have a 1GB DIMM stick (8 chips on each side) of PC3200-DDR400 RAM in my computer, which is capable of running dual channel. I opened up my computer today to check the warranty on my RAM to see which shop I got it from. It turns out that the shop's a bit of a trek away from where I'm going tomorrow, and as such, I don't really want to go there (I'm also not on great terms with the staff). The brand is Dane Elec.

As I want to go to a different shop, the brand of RAM they sell will no doubt be different, and while I know that's not ideal, I'm willing to live with that.

I was just wondering, if there is anything I should know before purchasing another stick of the same size (and type - PC3200, DIMM)? Any potential pitfalls? Will I be able to just ask for a 1GB stick of PC3200 RAM, and expect it to work in dual channel, or will I have to make sure other things match (e.g. Might there be more/less chips present, despite being the same type and size, making them incompatible for using dual channel?)?

Also, while putting my stick of RAM back in (It was originally in slot A1), I tried put it in another slot in a different channel (B1), the one the new stick would go in (the slot is actually the one suggested by ASUS in the manual (I have an A8N-E btw) for single sticks) to see if it would work. It didn't, but it's probable that that only happened because the wires were stiff in front of that slot, meaning I didn't actually get the stick of RAM in correctly, despite the clicking sounds. I put it in the old, easier to access slot, because it's late (it's 8 in the morning and I haven't went to bed yet! :p). If however, that slot actually is buggered, would I be able to use the other two different coloured slots instead of the two suggested without any problems, despite the fact the mobo manual says always use A1+B1/whatever? It also says to use B1 for a single stick, as I mentioned earlier, and tried to do tonight, but works fine with the single stick in A1.

Thanks in advance! :)

Just make sure that you get an identical memory stick: Same brand, speed, memory chips and model.

They should work in dual channel mode :)

please read the upgrading ram guide in the FAQs and in the guides forum. In the future, check those areas before asking common questions. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back