Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrading A Celeron 900mhz

I am helping a friend but also trying to learn a little more about upgrading. My friend has a HP Pavilion MX50 with a celeron 900mhz CPU, and an Asus CUW-AM motherboard with an Intel 810 chip-set. Now I know it would probably be best to just get a new case and start over seeing the board only handles 512mb SDRAM but I am wondering if I can scrap the board and get another board that will fit with a new processor? I would also be getting a new gpu of course. I don't see why another board would not be an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ryan,

Is the HP case the only thing you want to keep ? If you plan on keeping the SDram too, you're quite limited on options.

I am planning on only keeping the case and the hard drive sounds silly I can imagine. But just adding another board some new ram faster of course and a mild video card shouldn't break the bank and will please my friend in the end.

I'd sell the parts except for a floppy, case, CD-ROM, keyboard, mouse, and CRT. Everything else sell on ebay and use the $ to buy better stuff.

Thanks But....

I am thankful for the info but i really don't think my friend would scrap it cause he doesn't know what i know about computers so would only see the previous price tag for the sys when he got it and maybe feel he is incountering a lose which we know is common in the computer world but the gain is always worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back