US urges European countries to tap Nokia, Ericsson, and Samsung for their 5G needs

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: The US is trying to convince its allies in Europe that using Huawei's 5G tech is no different than using that of its competition, minus the security risks of trusting a company with alleged to the Chinese government.

It's no secret that the US doesn't trust Huawei, to the extent that it's not letting American carriers buy Chinese telecom infrastructure of any kind, including 5G. Earlier this month, the DOJ charged Huawei for racketeering and stealing trade secrets, which made matters even worse.

This week, the US has urged European countries to consider companies like Nokia, Ericsson, and Samsung to cover their 5G needs. During a visit to Lisbon, deputy secretary for communications and information policy Robert Strayer said there's a misconception out there that Huawei's 5G tech is more advanced than its competitors'.

The Trump administration says it has evidence that Huawei can access the equipment it has built at any time for spying purposes, while the company defended itself by arguing that the US has a long history of spying.

Strayer told reporters "there is no way to fully mitigate any type of risk except the use of trusted vendors from democratic countries," adding that manufacturers like Ericsson and Nokia in particular are using an open architecture that ensures better compatibility between equipment built in Europe and the US.

The EU allows member countries to choose what vendors they trust with their 5G infrastructure, and Germany has already said it isn't worried about Huawei. The UK is no longer a member of the EU, but it also opted to offer Huawei a limited role in its 5G network. Strayer is trying to make a case that countries planning to use equipment from the Chinese tech giant should be prepared to deal with the costs of replacing it in case it is compromised.

Last December, a report found that Huawei has been propelled by no less than $75 billion in incentives from the Chinese government, fuelling more suspicions that the company is operating under the strict control of the latter. The US is on a quest to convince its allies that Huawei can't be trusted, and it's even considering the possibility of acquiring significant stakes in companies like Nokia and Ericsson, even though the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Permalink to story.

What about all the other electronics built in China, then?? If the US government doesn't trust one type of Chinese-made, Internet-capable technology then realistically it can't trust ANY of them. Just because an iPhone isn't designed in China doesn't mean it can't be compromised there, particularly when the Chinese have the blueprints. If Trump is really that concerned (which he certainly should be) then realistically the only answer is to bring the manufacturing back to the free world. The big tech companies could accept lower profits and still make ridiculous piles of cash while regaining the moral high ground where labor is concerned. I think they could even raise prices slightly without significantly cutting into sales.

The big tech companies could accept lower profits and still make ridiculous piles of cash while regaining the moral high ground where labor is concerned. I think they could even raise prices slightly without significantly cutting into sales.
Companies won't accept lower profits. Most people don't give a **** about labour moral and stuff. They've got bills to pay so they will buy something cheaper made in China. Look how popular Chinese brands like xiaomi are lately.

What about all the other electronics built in China, then?? If the US government doesn't trust one type of Chinese-made, Internet-capable technology then realistically it can't trust ANY of them. Just because an iPhone isn't designed in China doesn't mean it can't be compromised there, particularly when the Chinese have the blueprints. If Trump is really that concerned (which he certainly should be) then realistically the only answer is to bring the manufacturing back to the free world. The big tech companies could accept lower profits and still make ridiculous piles of cash while regaining the moral high ground where labor is concerned. I think they could even raise prices slightly without significantly cutting into sales.
Many places ARE moving out of China because of the trade war. Apple is building a US based plant to manufacture some of their products. I don't remember what, but I'm fairly certain it isn't iPhones.

Point of the matter is that people are moving out of China and some companies are even moving back to the US.

I, for one, am not okay using child slave labor to make cheaper electronics. I would gladly pay more, hundreds even, for devices if it meant being made in a humane way. Everyone wants to be an activist until it means paying more for an iPhone.

Companies won't accept lower profits. Most people don't give a **** about labour moral and stuff. They've got bills to pay so they will buy something cheaper made in China. Look how popular Chinese brands like xiaomi are lately.
The Xiaomi phones are sold for for very low or zero profit when you look at just the hardware. This is why they are able to charge so little for them. The profit comes from the software side and peripherals (and other Xiaomi branded products)

EU should agree only if US will introduce free health care and education;)

And more seriously, if they trying to tell us that Huawei 5g network is flawed then, sure, there are proofs of it. It can't be a case of US trying to use EU as leverage to put more pressure on China on ongoing trade war, can it?...

5G in Europe is quite a joke...

Even 4G coverage in Europe is still a tiny percent. Most places have only 3G, just barely.
Not sure what part of Europe you have been to but I traveled from my home country (Ireland) to 7 EU countries last year and had 4G 95%+ and since about July last year, 3 cities in Ireland have 5G available. Vodafone offer 5G across Europe where its available for no extra charge.

I was in Florida for 3 weeks last year and even though I had 4G there was quite a high latency vs EU

Not sure what part of Europe you have been to but I traveled from my home country (Ireland) to 7 EU countries last year and had 4G 95%+ and since about July last year, 3 cities in Ireland have 5G available. Vodafone offer 5G across Europe where its available for no extra charge.

I was in Florida for 3 weeks last year and even though I had 4G there was quite a high latency vs EU

Internet in City centers doesn't count. It is the coverage that's outside the cities that does. And in Ireland it is pretty horrible outside of greater Dublin area. You will only get 3G most of the time. I live in Wicklow, and enjoying 3G here :) 4G works only in some places. Even right now, while in Bray, my phone (iPhone 11 Pro) is giving me only 3G, what else is there to say?

Many places ARE moving out of China because of the trade war. Apple is building a US based plant to manufacture some of their products. I don't remember what, but I'm fairly certain it isn't iPhones.

Point of the matter is that people are moving out of China and some companies are even moving back to the US.

I, for one, am not okay using child slave labor to make cheaper electronics. I would gladly pay more, hundreds even, for devices if it meant being made in a humane way. Everyone wants to be an activist until it means paying more for an iPhone.

I made an account just to answer to this.

You must really be from the US.

- Yes, people are moving out of China
- ABSOLUTELY NOT: manufacturers are bringing ANY production back to US, like Trump wants you to believe.
In your case, Apple built/borrowed (I'm not sure) a plant in the US to manufacture the Mac Pro
(https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/23/20880043/apple-mac-pro-us-manufacturing-austin-texas-trump-tariff),
an object that is like 0.0000000001% of their sales. This was a very ugly move from Apple to "get closer" to Trump's liking.
And they totally used this card, when they (Apple) went crying to Trump begging for not "being hit by the China trade war" (which, by the way, they partially got https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/12...na-us-trade-war-trump-deal-reached-price-hike)
All of this was a move made by Apple to buy them time while Foxconn was opening a new manufacturing plant in India to produce their iPhones (https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvolodzko/2019/01/17/will-apple-become-the-trade-wars-next-victim/)

And by the way, Apple brought back the Mac pro production because Trump gave them some exemption, as The Verge reports: cit. "Apple says building the computer in the US is possible thanks to receiving a tariff exemption on “certain necessary components.”
Without those, I don't think Apple would have done a thing about your sweet "bring back production".

--
Next time you post, make sure you know what you're talking about instead of spreading this crap that "some US companies are successfully bringing back part of production because Trump made them to,"

Internet in City centers doesn't count. It is the coverage that's outside the cities that does. And in Ireland it is pretty horrible outside of greater Dublin area. You will only get 3G most of the time. I live in Wicklow, and enjoying 3G here :) 4G works only in some places. Even right now, while in Bray, my phone (iPhone 11 Pro) is giving me only 3G, what else is there to say?
UK coverage for 4G is pretty good, whenever I leave London I normally have good strong 4G signal, not the whole time but there's always going to be blind spots. 5G is in a lot of cities now, though I haven't got a 5G phone to test with.

Im living in Greystones so just down the road and quite a bit out from the village in new build area, getting 90mbps on Vodafone... Now I do pay 35 euros a month and get 20GB data, I know the most popular network (Three) gives unlimited data usage for 20 euros a month and I was with them for years experiencing shite data connection all over, since moving to VF I have more 4G most places, hell even in the hills of donegal was getting 30Mb miles away from the towns!

My girlfriend is on three and cannot even use data inside the same house I get 90Mbps in

Im living in Greystones so just down the road and quite a bit out from the village in new build area, getting 90mbps on Vodafone... Now I do pay 35 euros a month and get 20GB data, I know the most popular network (Three) gives unlimited data usage for 20 euros a month and I was with them for years experiencing shite data connection all over, since moving to VF I have more 4G most places, hell even in the hills of donegal was getting 30Mb miles away from the towns!

My girlfriend is on three and cannot even use data inside the same house I get 90Mbps in
I'm with Three, unfortunately.

I actually have note on vodafone and huawei on three and in my case at my home vodafone have no coverage at all while three have a 4g...;)
Unlimited internet in three for 20 euro/month is awesome. And after acquisition of meteor coverage is as well mostly excellent, but of course it will wary in different places. But overall I can travel across ireland and even in rural areas I keep solid connection.

Not sure about Ireland but in the UK EE has the best network coverage and wins all sorts of awards for it, battling with O2 constantly for best rural coverage.

As I said, you can afford to pay more. Good for you. Majority can't.

As much as I hate to agree with this administration, the simple fact that Huawei has done nothing to prove their innocence other than a bunch of denials I would stick to the rule of "better safe than sorry". China has a long, long, long reputation of lies, deceptions, and general dishonesty across the spectrum of their contact with the outside world. I would expect the saga of Huawei to be no different .....

I made an account just to answer to this.

You must really be from the US.

- Yes, people are moving out of China
- ABSOLUTELY NOT: manufacturers are bringing ANY production back to US, like Trump wants you to believe.
In your case, Apple built/borrowed (I'm not sure) a plant in the US to manufacture the Mac Pro
(https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/23/20880043/apple-mac-pro-us-manufacturing-austin-texas-trump-tariff),
an object that is like 0.0000000001% of their sales. This was a very ugly move from Apple to "get closer" to Trump's liking.
And they totally used this card, when they (Apple) went crying to Trump begging for not "being hit by the China trade war" (which, by the way, they partially got https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/12...na-us-trade-war-trump-deal-reached-price-hike)
All of this was a move made by Apple to buy them time while Foxconn was opening a new manufacturing plant in India to produce their iPhones (https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvolodzko/2019/01/17/will-apple-become-the-trade-wars-next-victim/)

And by the way, Apple brought back the Mac pro production because Trump gave them some exemption, as The Verge reports: cit. "Apple says building the computer in the US is possible thanks to receiving a tariff exemption on “certain necessary components.”
Without those, I don't think Apple would have done a thing about your sweet "bring back production".

--
Next time you post, make sure you know what you're talking about instead of spreading this crap that "some US companies are successfully bringing back part of production because Trump made them to,"
Next time you quote me because you see an opportunity to voice your political opinion, make sure to do a proper job of it. I'm glad I pissed you off enough for you to make an account, techspot deserves the traffic and is a wonderful site so welcome to the club

So, just to clarify, you're okay with child slave labor with suicide nets around the buildings?

As I said, you can afford to pay more. Good for you. Majority can't.
I actually am in the lower income bracket. However, the true cost of paying less for these things is much higher than just what's in your wallet. I can make due with a low end phone at the cost of what I paid for my mid ranged phone. I'd happily pay more knowing that my device isn't made with Chinese child slave labor. I'd downsize and pay the same the same rate as I'm paying now to stop that. However, everything is made in China these days. From my silverware to my pillow cases. I try to avoid buying Chinese, but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

It doesn't have to be American, Im not a self righteous patriot, I just don't want to buy anything out of China because they're scumbags. It's not just foxconn, many factories in China had suicide nets. Working conditions are so poor there that they literally have to prevent their slaves from killing themselves

--

Let's remember one tiny detail about Apple making the new Mac Pro (2019) in the US: Apple made the previous Mac Pro (2013) in the US.

IMO the whole thing was a successful publicity stunt for Apple and the US government. Apple would appear to want to send production of a Mac (not company) flagship product somewhere else and the US govt would intercede and appeal to them to make it here. So they do (just like they're already doing) and continue to sell tens (yes, tens!) of these per month. U-S-A! num-ber one!

As much as I hate to agree with this administration, the simple fact that Huawei has done nothing to prove their innocence other than a bunch of denials I would stick to the rule of "better safe than sorry". China has a long, long, long reputation of lies, deceptions, and general dishonesty across the spectrum of their contact with the outside world. I would expect the saga of Huawei to be no different .....
Sorry, but in any civilized country you do not prove your innocence before someone in court gives facts you're guilty. We seen a lot of accusation from US government but no proofs.

The USA made the claim, so they must “prove” it. They claim to have evidence, but have not shared it. Also, believe it or not, the USA has a similar reputation in many countries. There is also the fact that the USA has been caught spying on enemies and “ALLIES”.
It is absurd that you believe that the accused are guilty until they prove their innocence. Do your courts and such work that way?

The USA made the claim, so they must “prove” it. They claim to have evidence, but have not shared it. Also, believe it or not, the USA has a similar reputation in many countries. There is also the fact that the USA has been caught spying on enemies and “ALLIES”.
It is absurd that you believe that the accused are guilty until they prove their innocence. Do your courts and such work that way?

No, but we have PLENTY of evidence of China's crimes .... do you understand COMRADE?

As if anyone cares what a bunch of fatmerican war criminal thieves have to say about anything. The spying built into US gear completely ignored by this rubbish article.

Back