USB flashdrive "writing" very slow

Rick Miller

Hey All:

Recently, I discovered one of my pendrive was writing at an incredibly slow speed. Less than half of what it had originally (original 7.8+ Mb/s--now 1.8-2.3 Mb/s). I've run a multitude of tests on the drive that are specific to health of drive, malware/virus, bad sectors, all have reported drive is healthy and clean. I've wiped/rebuilt partition, formatted (3x), tried NTFS as opposed to FAT32. Nothing has improved the drives writing speed. I've checked the net, help forums, tech articles and geek help. I've found there are multitudes of folks with the same problem, yet haven't found anything to rectify the situation. Seriously, take a look around the 'net" and see how prevalent this problem is. And, it's not specific to any one brand of pendrive. Actually, after checking all my drives, I've found 5 with this malady. So, here's my objective; #1. Identify and correct what is causing the drive to slow #2. Restore the drives to their original operating speed. I have a lot of information I've not posted. If you require more info, please request. I'd really like to solve this enigma, but I need some help!
Banging Head in Central Ohio:
Rick

If you use the Quick Format, you don't rewrite the sectors so use the full rewrite form
Keep Allocation unit size at Default.
Choose a name for the partition under Volume label.
Do not select Perform a quick format
or Enable file and folder compression.
Click Next.

RE: jobeard

Alas, I've implemented all your suggestions prior to your posting. I've been researching about the pendrive's "controller" and, although I do not profess to be geek/guru, I'm beginning to believe that is where the problem lies.
THANX for the response.

RE: holdum323

I am aware that flashdrives will deteriate towards the end of their "lives". I suspect that is not the cause since I've had 5 do the same all within a very limited time frame. I beleive there was some anommoly that cause a disfunction in the drive's "controller". But, that, right now, is just my opinion. One very stange scenerio, after checking all the affected drives speed/health/ and overall performance, none came back as defective, and some reported higher write speeds as opposed to when I actually "write"(transfer files) to them?? Can't figure that out! Appreciate your response.

RE: holdum323

I am aware that flashdrives will deteriate towards the end of their "lives". I suspect that is not the cause since I've had 5 do the same all within a very limited time frame. I beleive there was some anommoly that cause a disfunction in the drive's "controller". But, that, right now, is just my opinion. One very stange scenerio, after checking all the affected drives speed/health/ and overall performance, none came back as defective, and some reported higher write speeds as opposed to when I actually "write"(transfer files) to them?? Can't figure that out! Appreciate your response.

Just a quick note holdum323 is banned sadly, however the rest of us will fill in the support spots before he left.
Rick I am curious here but how old are those pen drives, also what brand, model number and capacity does it have ?
If you had a pen drive for 2 or 3 years working good and then it starts failing at reading and writing.
There isn't a thing you can do for it but get another one, or just get one just like it, or step up and buy a more newer flash-pen drive.

Last edited:
Well it was supposed to be a week yet he has been gone for 2 weeks....looks like someone isn't playing fair here as it is his first ban.
I would like to know the brand also as I have had 3 San Disk high speed flash drives fail completely in 6 months and I have read of others with same experience with San Disk flash drives.

Back