USB ports not working

womBat777

I am not a tech head so please help, I am in need of help as I have not got my USB pots working, I have printed your instructions above and I started to go through them when I came to device status code 28, I get 38 (see pic)
USB Mass Storage 1.jpg

Hi Guys, I spent all day yesterday and most of this morning trying these suggestions and nothing seems to make my usb ports work, as I am not very good at tech stuff I think I will get this to our tech shop and let them fix it.
Thank you for your help

Will get back here later, I think I have tried every option in Device Manager in regards to USB, that could be my problem perhaps I deleted the driver not sure, although the 3 drivers required are in my C:Windows/System32/drivers, could not do the trouble shoot cos it does not show that option after I right click the USB/Properties that is not working, it only show the pic I posted in my 1st post. I also looked at the usb drivers on the Toshiba Qosmio X70 site and could not decide which one I needed.
Not sure if the tech guys here will tell me what they have done, but I will ask them. I will not take it in until Monday 5th Feb

You won't need to take it over there, I am very curious here.
If you can grab a hold of another computer for a brief moment.
I want you to plug it in and see if that windows os will pick up on it and install the generic drivers.
If it does not show up, look at the device manager and the device properties and see what code you get.
If it is a code 38 that david had mentioned, just go ahead and retire it, 2 computers giving out the same error is enough reason.
Give us the exact model number for your laptop so you don't have the wrong drivers by chance.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=2n...c.1.64.psy-ab..0.8.455...0i67k1.0.hTEWvMCE_rs

Hi Maiku Tech, I do have two other computers a Vista laptop and a Win 10 desktop, I have a Lexar Multi-card 25-1 USB 3.0 reader that I have been using for a few years now, I don't know how it is a 25 in 1 as I can only see 6 slots, all other flash stick (Sony, TDK, Sandisk, Veratim and Lexar) I have also do not work in my Qosmio, but they all work in my other two computers, hope this gives you some more info, btw I am running 8.1 on the Qosmio, here is the model no you requested Qosmio X70-A0DW PSPLTA-0DW068, I have 4 USB ports, 1 my printer and I my wi-fi mouse both are still working, I have not taken the out in case I cannot get them back again.
I attach more pics to show what I am getting in DM right click properties, this will mean a lot to you but nothing to me, just more info for you.
Ron
USB 1.jpg USB 2.jpg USB 3.jpg USB 4.jpg USB 5.jpg USB 6.jpg

Find the serial number on the laptop, it should be underneath the laptop.
Enter your serial number there and see what comes up:
https://support.toshiba.com/support/driversOSResults?freeText=X70-A0DW
If worse comes to worse the only thing left is to drop by here and ask for help.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/110/toshiba.html
If someone decides to step up and help you, be sure to do everything they ask of you like you would here.
Otherwise its time for a new drive or invest into a new computer soon.

Find the serial number on the laptop, it should be underneath the laptop.
Enter your serial number there and see what comes up:
https://support.toshiba.com/support/driversOSResults?freeText=X70-A0DW
If worse comes to worse the only thing left is to drop by here and ask for help.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/110/toshiba.html
If someone decides to step up and help you, be sure to do everything they ask of you like you would here.
Otherwise its time for a new drive or invest into a new computer soon.

Sorry about the conversation I thought I had been forgotten.

I did as you suggested in regards to the serial no also tried the model no and both give me an answer saying no drivers, thank you for your help.

Followed your other link and looking through the site, there are some options to download drivers, I tried 3 of them and all of them bring up a malwarebytes flag, one even said it had deleted a pup.
Thank you for your help off to the tech shop tomorrow.

Holdem323, thank you for that link I will o have a look now, did not see your reply before.
Hi friend. I came in late to this thread. IMHO there are two basic things to windows problems. Hardware-Software! I'm not sure about this malware thing you have just added. That's a whole new ball game. Some times the best advise is to perform a clean install of windows.
I'm going to give you a link to windows ISO files. IMHO if you have problems after a clean install, then you probably have a hardware problem. Very possible a Mother board problem. Here's link to Windows ISO files. Let us know how things go. Yes a clean install is the nuclear solution, but some times it's the only way.
PS No you haven't been forgotten. I'll stay with you as long as you keep replying on this thread. I don't give up easily. Here's link to all the ISO files where you can create installation media tool to reinstall windows of your choice.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Hi Please create a back up image of your Os before performing a clean install. That way you will be able to get back to where you are now. If you need more information, I'll do my best to help you.
PS! IMHO.
When your USB ports suddenly stop working, the problem can always be tracked down to either a hardware or software failure. Some of these problems are the same across both Windows and Mac, while others are unique to just one or the other.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Thanks for your help, I took the Qosmio to the tech shop yesterday and the tech guy said that the usb's are soldered to the motherboard and he could try some soldering but there would be no guarantee, he did suggest I try a power usb board which I have but did not use, I gave that a try when I got home and that did not work, his other suggestion is to get a new computer, so it looks like that is the way I will have to go eventually.
I still have other computers that usb's work so I will have to do usb stuff with them.
Once again guys thank you for all of your suggestions.

Hi It seems everyone has offered their best solution. I'll add mine even though some have already
been posted. Here's link from Lifewire!
https://www.lifewire.com/fix-usb-ports-4151908

I hope this is the last update, holdum323, I followed your link and printed a 8 page info sheet, only just had time today to go through it, on page 2 it mentions canned air, I did have a can of this air and turned off my computer let it cool down and have both USB ports that previously did not work, waited 1 hour then turned my computer back on and put a usb stick in and up comes the info that is on the usb, tried another few flash sticks in each usb and all working again, I can only think it must have been dirt in the usb's.
One again guys thank you for your help.

Never had a problem due to dirt build up.
Always clean whenever I open it up & see dust build up.
Vacuum cleaner attachment for cracks with straw taped on for tiny places.

I thought it very strange, but after reading the Lifewire info I said to myself well I have tried everything I know and page 2 gave me the canned air tip, as you say whatever works.

Thanks @womBat777 for your reply. I like Lifewire a lot. I also like HTG. Some times I use Microsoft Community to refer members to. I glad you got your issues solved. Thanks for sharing with the forum. It will help others.

Back