USB ports printer and scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Red

I have windows xp version 2002 sp2 , pentium 4 cpu 2.67 ghz . I have the hp scanjet scanner 3970 and I just purchased the hp laserjet 1020 printer. If I want to use the printer I have to remove the scanner USB cable from the socket and the same scenerio to use the printer, why can't both cables be plugged in at the same time.They both work perfectly when when only one or the other are connected. I have refreshed all usb ports to no avail.

Would anyone have a solution to this problem?
Thank You Big Red

when you installed them, did you install them in different ports or the same one. if its the same one that may well be the problem. anything i install must be in its own port.

USB ports printer and scanner

to tomrca

No they are installed in different ports
thank you big red

USB Ports , printer and scanner

As of today , still have not found a solution, seems there could be lots of different things wrong such as BIOS updates, new drivers , something wanting more power than the port can supply. Will use the work around, such as unplugging a device from the port in order for the other to work.
Thank You

Big Red

The USB bus can handle a ton of items at the same time . You shoud check to make sure Some bios setiing is not wrong ( any item concerning USB in particular) Check for conflicted hardware on the System info page.
Also are these ports on the front of your box and if so confirm their connections are correct.

USB Ports , printer and scanner

realblackstuff , smore9648 and liquidlen

Just checked in and saw your suggestions , will try them and let you know the results.
thank you big red

USB PORTS, printer and scanner

thank you for the suggestions , checked them all out , still have the same problem, so will just unplug the printer or scanner in order to use the other. It is not a big inconveniance to do so , however will keep trying to rectify the problem.
thank you all Big Red

where precisely to you plug the cable; front vs. back?
Typically, the front side connections are for SLOW speed devices, eg a camera,
and are USB 1.x. The backside connections are usually 2.0

btw: make SURE you only purchase USB 2.0 cables -- it does make a difference.

did you try updating the USB driver?

I have the same exact problem with an Officejet K550 and Scanjet 4370. Did you ever figure out a resolution? It seems both want to point to the same port.

USB 2.0 ports

Tried everything but its still the same . I guess I shall leave it as is for now.

Big Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back