HP, Dell, MSI, and Asus all plan to unveil 4K 240Hz monitors in Q1 2024

Daniel Sims

Staff
Highly anticipated: Companies like Dell, Asus, and MSI have been teasing high-end monitors they plan to unveil in early 2024. A new report shows that HP plans to reveal a competing product as well, combining an attractive 32-inch size with a 240Hz 4K OLED panel.

Windows Report has published images of a high-end gaming monitor HP plans to unveil at CES 2024. That means that HP, Dell, Asus, and MSI all plan to reveal or launch 32-inch 4K 240Hz OLED displays with 1,000 nits peak HDR brightness in the first quarter of 2024.

Also read: Why Refresh Rates Matter: From 30Hz to 540Hz

Likely based on one of Samsung Display's QD-OLED panels, HP's Omen Transcend 32 also features AMD FreeSync and Dolby Vision. Like the Asus PG32UCDM, it also includes a built-in KVM switch to enable easy signal swapping between multiple PCs or other devices. One unique feature is the Omen Tempest Monitor Cooling technology, which promises to minimize burn-in.

HP may also have an advantage over Asus in display outputs, as the Omen Transcend will include DisplayPort 2.1, while the Asus model will only feature DP 1.4. Not surprisingly, HP, Asus, and MSI are all confirmed to include secondary HDMI 2.1 ports.

Power delivery is another area where HP has a slight edge. Asus and MSI will offer 90W USB Type-C connectivity, but HP will increase that figure to 140W. In addition to the USB-C upstream port, the Omen Transcend 32 will also offer other ports include an additional USB-C 3.2 output, a 15W data connection USB-C port, and three USB-A 3.2 ports.

While the HP leak only reveals a single new monitor, the other makers have teased multiple models for early next year at various sizes, resolutions, and refresh rates. Dell, Asus, and MSI will offer 1440p 360Hz panels, with some adding ultrawide models.

Another HP product that just leaked includes a 2024 follow-up to the Omen Transcend 16 laptop. The new model upgrades the 240Hz screen from mini-LED to OLED. Furthermore, it adds the option of a GeForce RTX 4070 GPU and Intel Core Ultra processors. A new 14-inch model is also coming with the same specs. Additionally, HP subsidiary HyperX will introduce new keyboards, mice, headsets, and other gear.

Permalink to story.

LG just unveiled there 32 inch 4k 240 hz oled than can double as a 480 hz 1080 mode. This would make anything 500hz TN panels obsolete. Asus but my ROG branding 😭.

32inch, 240Hz, 2160p, QD-OLED, found my next 10+ year monitor!

You’ve done me well 27inch, 165Hz, 1440p, IPS, but you’re 12 years old and there’s finally something I can call a proper upgrade.

32inch, 240Hz, 2160p, QD-OLED, found my next 10+ year monitor!

You’ve done me well 27inch, 165Hz, 1440p, IPS, but you’re 12 years old and there’s finally something I can call a proper upgrade.
I would wait for dp 2.1 for some decade long future proofing but there is also the risk of burn in for oled for such a use case.

Yes, but will they use standard RGB pixel layouts? If not, they won't be suitable for productivity use...

Jumped into the 4k pool with Samsung 240Hz few months back -- Love the picture, it has issues with RTX 4090 coming back from sleep mode and reboots (forever blank screen at 240Hz, 120Hz the 4090 is fine) vs RX 7900XTX (liquid for both) doesn't seem to have that issue for whatever reason -- I moved back to 3440x1440 (LG 45 Ultra Gear Plus 240Hz) mainly due to game support of 4k (some older games more so) and moved 4k over to my trading system.

I would wait for dp 2.1 for some decade long future proofing but there is also the risk of burn in for oled for such a use case.
Yeah it sounds like the HP version might include it, I currently have a 4090 so I'll have to use DP1.4 with DSC anyway.

Is there any real downsides to using DSC? From what I've read, it's visually impossible to detect the compression with the naked eye but I've heard such claims before and they turned out not to be true.

Burn-in I'm not worried about at all, that's all mostly overblown from my experience with an OLED TV and I know a few people with QD-OLED monitors already that have had zero issues.
Yes, but will they use standard RGB pixel layouts? If not, they won't be suitable for productivity use...
Honestly don't think it's as much of a problem as reviewers made it out to be, I know three people with the Alienware AW3423DW, one of them is a programmer and the other two spend a lot of time in Excel, PowerPoint and Word and all of them when I asked about it said "what are you on about?". Didn't seem to affect any of them.

Yeah it sounds like the HP version might include it, I currently have a 4090 so I'll have to use DP1.4 with DSC anyway.

Is there any real downsides to using DSC? From what I've read, it's visually impossible to detect the compression with the naked eye but I've heard such claims before and they turned out not to be true.

Burn-in I'm not worried about at all, that's all mostly overblown from my experience with an OLED TV and I know a few people with QD-OLED monitors already that have had zero issues.

Honestly don't think it's as much of a problem as reviewers made it out to be, I know three people with the Alienware AW3423DW, one of them is a programmer and the other two spend a lot of time in Excel, PowerPoint and Word and all of them when I asked about it said "what are you on about?". Didn't seem to affect any of them.
I don't like how text at 1440p looks, and it's even worse on monitors with a non-standard pixel layout. ClearType doesn't work correctly on such monitors, and I have no doubt I'd be able to tell the difference, even at 2160p. We all have our own sensitivities. I'd love to have a 2880p monitor. I'm just waiting for them to drop way down in price.

I wonder what decade I'll be in when they finally make a 27" version. I just don't understand the obsession with large monitors. I don't have, or want, a desk deeper than the Mariana Trench just so I can sit back far enough to fit my monitors comfortably into my FoV. Give me a usable size and high DPI any day.

I wonder what decade I'll be in when they finally make a 27" version. I just don't understand the obsession with large monitors. I don't have, or want, a desk deeper than the Mariana Trench just so I can sit back far enough to fit my monitors comfortably into my FoV. Give me a usable size and high DPI any day.
I'm with you. Anything outside the FoV is wasted space, and doesn't really get used. I currently have a Samsung 28" IPS 2160p monitor, and that's big enough.

I still dont see the need to make the jump from 2k to 4k..... with how crappy games are nowa days...4k at max settings w/ 60+ FPS is a pipedream.... yes I got a rtx4090 but I want it to last 5 years... not 5 months.

And what GPU will you need to drive that monitor it'll certainly need to be far better than the RTX4090 or RX7900XTX to do 4K/240 without having to resort to DLSS or FSR

And what GPU will you need to drive that monitor it'll certainly need to be far better than the RTX4090 or RX7900XTX to do 4K/240 without having to resort to DLSS or FSR
That's why I'm holding off till 2025 personally to upgrade my 3 + year old cx 48 inch oled ( by sitting 3.5 feet away gets all the field of view angle better than my previous 34 inch 3440x1440p monitor does some comments above are concerned about)
Just in time for Blackwell and dp2.1 to flood the market and hopefully a better price than initial offering.

update although some rasterization games today can handle 4k maximum settings within 240hz limit like my go to game vermitide 2 get swings from 190 fps to 240 fps at maximum settings no upscaling taa set to on.

45in LG is 800R curve to which at first I hated curved monitors, however, over time had 1000r and then now this 800R, and love it -- The idea at 800r is to match (somewhat close) the curve of the view of our eyes, I'm sure its not same for us all, though find it excellent in that can view screen well and each area of the screen is roughly same distance away.

Back