User Accounts and Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfranzel

I have Windows Server 2003. Is there a way to create a user account, with all the wsettings and restrictions, and then copy that EXACT user account with all the SAME settings and restrictions and make it another accound? For example, I create the account Bjordan. I set up the desktop how I want, the start menu how i want, even some registery settings. Is there a way to copy all those settings so when i create another account, i can just import all the settings so i don't have to go through the process of doing that again?

Thanks!
Matt

Put those accounts in the same user group and assign permissions that way. Create both accounts and configure the first one. Use the Copy User Profile tool and copy the configured profile over the directory containing the second profile. Make sure you make the profile usable for new account.

I just did that. I then logged onto the account where I applied the settings and 2 things happened. EVERYTHING looked different then it had origionally and it DID NOT have the same settings as the copied profile.

I just created a new account and followed the steps I gave you and it worked flawlessly. The only thing I did differently than I told you was I logged into the new account first - rebooted - then used the Copy Profile tool using the Administrator account to make sure what I was copying wasn't in use. Worked like a charm except My Documents link is a bit screwed up - gotta remember where to set that in the registry.

Mfranzel,
Yes, it's possible. No, not in standalone W2K3 - this is a normal practice using AD (active directory). It's even one of the selling points.
LNCPapa,
As long as the home directory got made, you can simply move the My Documents folder...

The My Documents folder itself is fine - just the link created when you open My Computer isn't correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back