Using a 3.5 inch drive on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

This might be the wrong place for this question, so feel free to move it.

At the moment I run a latitude C600 (hence the sig), last night whilst lying in bed looking at the ceiling, trying had to nod off (dont you hate insomnia) I was struck by the thought of trying to run my laptop on a 3.5 inch drive instead of the Mini 2.5 inch that's in it now.

I can picture how I would go about it, but I need to know how to power it,

At the moment I have a cable that plugs into an IDE socket on a Mobo and then you can plug the 2.5 inch drive into it and it has a power lead that links only to the 5v ( I think) which powers the drive.

Question, ,,can a standard 3.5 inch run on just the 5v supplied to a 2.5 inch drive or does it need the 12v supplied on the yellow wire as well as the 5v on the red (or is it the other way round).

So now you ask "why" would I want to do it, same as why people climb mountains and swim the Channal, Coz I just want to know if it can be done.

It needs much more power too.

If you want 12v either -
- build yourself a separate linear 12v power supply
- build yourself a 5vdc to 12vdc switching regulator

RealBlackStuff said:
Buy a 2.5" - 3.5" adapter, it has all the wiring you need.

Is there such a thing, I mean I know there is one that lets you plug a 2.5" into a standard IDE socket (got one of those), what I wanted to do is to run a 3.5" from a laptop socket, I have seen the external enclosures but they look to bulky, I was looking at making something that entail just a lead coming out of the HD bay on my C600.

I Googled, and, no.

Some persons done this but had to put a miniature computer PSU to feed the HDD power. (But connect the laptop and HDD ground together)

For the IDE connector you can use an ordinary 2.5" - 3.5" HDD adapter backwards

DragonMaster said:
I Googled, and, no.

Some persons done this but had to put a miniature computer PSU to feed the HDD power. (But connect the laptop and HDD ground together)

For the IDE connector you can use an ordinary 2.5" - 3.5" HDD adapter backwards

Here endeth the discussion then. thanks for all the input, I guess I will have to find something else to think about during my insomnia bouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back