Using a PlayStation 4 controller with your PC or Mac

I have used Sony controllers in Windows for years, usually with something like SCPToolkit. The reason I like this particular method for Sony controllers is it supports Dual Shock 2, 3 and 4 controllers.

It supports the analog buttons of the Dual Shock 2 and 3, meaning emulating those Sony consoles is just like the real deal. It is critical when you need those pressure sensitive buttons used extensively on the Metal Gear Solid games, among others.

In general I chose to use a 360 gamepad, moving onto Xbox One pads and now an Elite controller for PC games. The compatibility is by far the best, virtually every PC game these days is plug and play for these gamepads.

This method is simple though if you just want to use a DS4 for modern PC games and that is the only controller you have access to.

I have used Sony controllers in Windows for years, usually with something like SCPToolkit. The reason I like this particular method for Sony controllers is it supports Dual Shock 2, 3 and 4 controllers.

It supports the analog buttons of the Dual Shock 2 and 3, meaning emulating those Sony consoles is just like the real deal. It is critical when you need those pressure sensitive buttons used extensively on the Metal Gear Solid games, among others.

In general I chose to use a 360 gamepad, moving onto Xbox One pads and now an Elite controller for PC games. The compatibility is by far the best, virtually every PC game these days is plug and play for these gamepads.

This method is simple though if you just want to use a DS4 for modern PC games and that is the only controller you have access to.

Agreed. I prefer the PS4 controller overall, but on PC it's easier to just use an XInput based controller and call it a day. Nowadays most gamepads just try and emulate what the Xbox controller does, since that gives native support with a minimal amount of effort.

That's too much work.

Xbox1 controller is perfect on pc, plus it has that chatpad accessory which is a blessing if you're like me and play something like FF14 with a controller, plus it adds volume controls if you're using a headset.

also, sure alot of people dont like it, but being able to swap out dead battery packs/batteries on the fly is great also.

If you're connecting the controller via USB there's no reason to unpair it from your console. When connected to a computer it will not automatically boot up the PS4, so why go through the trouble of repairing every time you switch back to the PS4?

What about the other way round?
I was considering buying PS4 and play their exclusives, now that You can buy it dirt cheap, but I cannot get myself to use controller.
Any cheap and trouble-free way to connect keyboard and mouse to PS4?

Its a fine controller for sure, but honestly to use it when an Xbox controller is an option just doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me. Unless you have tiny Trump hands.

It makes sense if you're moving from just using a PS4 to a PC and PS4 for your gaming, especially if you're using PS4 remote play.

Its a fine controller for sure, but honestly to use it when an Xbox controller is an option just doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me.
Especially when Xbox 1 controllers have native support on Windows 10, including the ability to pass audio through the controller and chat back through the controller as well. If you have the dongle it's supported via wireless as well.

The only time I see a PS4 controller being the better option to go with is if you're playing Sony's streaming service PlayStation Now to enjoy PS4 games. Nearly all PC games I play with controller support work with the Xbox 1 controller.

Meh I have an original Xbox360 controller for PC that I use for games like GTAV etc

Then I have a hori Fight pad for my Fighting games SFV, MK11 etc.

I too have tried the DS4 with the PS4 controller. It was novel using it on Windows. In the end, I went back using the Xbox One Controller on Windows. (Before that I was using the XB 360 Controller for windows, which still works and supported in latest games.) It's much simpler, straight-forward and just works. Besides, I prefer the easy to feel and press menu/select and start buttons on the XB1/360 controller.

What about the other way round?
I was considering buying PS4 and play their exclusives, now that You can buy it dirt cheap, but I cannot get myself to use controller.
Any cheap and trouble-free way to connect keyboard and mouse to PS4?

I would be up for that too. I find the console controllers way to uncomfortable.

This article is terribly misleading. Attempting to use the DS4 in Windows with Bluetooth is an actual, neverending nightmare. At all times. It's so annoying and preposterously difficult to work with, it's transparently obvious the author tried it just once, paired it, then called it good.

The DS4 is my favorite (and the best) controller but using it wireless is simply not feasible in Win10 or Win7. It's obscenely finicky, with DS4Windows or SCPToolkit. I've been trying for years, even tried four different Bluetooth dongles. It's preposterous that Sony didn't just PONY up and make this a reality. They'd have sold far, far more controllers.

Even though I don't use a game controller I ended up reading the whole thing. I have to say, Mr Jeffrey put a lot of time into this.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I always see people recommend the original, never-updated version of DS4Windows.
I use this updated fork:
https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases

This article is terribly misleading. Attempting to use the DS4 in Windows with Bluetooth is an actual, neverending nightmare. At all times. It's so annoying and preposterously difficult to work with, it's transparently obvious the author tried it just once, paired it, then called it good.

The DS4 is my favorite (and the best) controller but using it wireless is simply not feasible in Win10 or Win7. It's obscenely finicky, with DS4Windows or SCPToolkit. I've been trying for years, even tried four different Bluetooth dongles. It's preposterous that Sony didn't just PONY up and make this a reality. They'd have sold far, far more controllers.
Here's a dongle that works for me for Windows 10: Kinivo BTD-400 USB Bluetooth Adapter
I also have a USB extension cable to avoid a bad signal.

Well, actually... I did tinker with it for a only a weekend (article deadlines as they are) with my son. He uses it as his main controller on his PC and has not had any trouble using it wirelessly (native Bluetooth) in Windows 10. Other than the things I mentioned, it worked fine for me too.

Personally I do prefer the PS4 controller over the Xbox one. The joysticks have always been wtf to me.

Also Rockstar made GTA for the PS4 in mind, and I find it so much easier to use than an xbox controller or a keyboard and mouse combo.

I did buy the 360 and xb1 controller for the PC, but both have died. My Playstation controllers never have.
The 360 one lost connection with the wireless dongle, a common fault.
And the XB1 pad started to automatically push up on the thumb stick, again a common fault.
So M$ can go swivvle cause their peripherals suck nuts on a large scale.

I also had nothing but problems trying to use a DS4 controller on Windows with Bluetooth + DS4Windows, however I attributed my problems on the BT dongle I used being garbage. Interesting to see you tried 4 different dongles and still had issues.

DS4 controller + DS4Windows work wonderfully using an USB cable, though. It's exactly the same experience as using a wired Xbox 360 controller.

Yes, PS4 controllers on the PC is a possibility, albeit not straight forward.

My main gripe about the PS4 controllers is the positioning of the Options button. And the useless(for me) Share button. (I have a PS4 Pro too.)

The Options button (and the Share button) is depressed, and is either hard or easy to mis-press.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller on the other hand for Windows, on the other hand, work ...just ...fine... without any workarounds.

I was using a PS4 controller with one of my laptops until I got the XBox One controller and called it a day.

Back