Using a Televion as Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is gonna be for the system Im building, and Im not up for buying a Tuner Card if thats what your talking about, i want a high performace video card for under 300 dollars, but if the card I get dosent have a TVout jack, is there anyway around this?

No, I am not talking about a TV tuner card. That is for viewing (and capturing) TV on your computer.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting to send your computer video to your TV. To do that, the ONLY way I know how to do that is through your video card. If it does not have a video out port, then you are out of luck as far as I know.

Yes, that card would do a lovely job.

Actually, it also depends on what type of input your TV has. As it is a flatscreen, does it have a D-Sub (or even a DVI) jack for input? If so, then your graphics card does not need to have a TV out jack.

Blurry really, Why it would it be blurry, I mean how could it be any diffrent from watching a tv program or playing my xbox as far as the sharpness of the text

and for the question about jacks, all I got is a Coaxial input for Television and the 3 RCA jacks in the front

Pixels and refresh rates make a difference when using a tv as a monitor, "20 inch flat screen" doesnt give us much info about your TV. Is it a LCD or just a regular TV with a flat screen? If it's just a flat screen TV, you would be much better off with a 21" computer monitor.

Well, Can you guys show me some pictures of exactly what kind of diffrence Im gonna see between a TV and a Monitor in text sharpness

Here's Windows XP 800x600 on an olde 27" not-so-flat TV. Driven by an ATi AIW 9800 Pro. My NV5200 had S-Vid out, and my 6600gt and AIW9800 have dongles with all kindsa ins and outs.

The pic makes it look a little worse than it is, a very little bit worse. You have to make your fonts really big to read them well.

But some fonts I don't know how to change, like when you right click on the desktop, that menu is worthless unless you have it memorized. Game consoles use special anti-aliasing to make fonts work well on old TVs I think, and the fonts are usually pretty big.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=75411338&size=l

damn thats what all the fuss is about, Well I assure you my TV has a far sharper picture than that and its flatscreen i shouldnt see any problems at all from it

It all depends on what you want to do with your computer really. I just record TV shows, watch and rip DVDs and play Americas Army on the setup you see there. Browsing anything with text I had to read would kill me, even on a nice tv. Apple Cinema 30", on the other hand....

This system is going to go MythTV or Freevo on Linux as soon as I get a big harddrive in it. Windows, of course has Win MCE. SageTV and Meedio serve similar purposes.

I believe another reason is the crt 'pixels' on TVs are much larger than the crt pixels in actual computer monitors. the larger pixels on TV means larger text so when it tries to get it as nice n sharp.. it cant.. .. not sure if u or anyone gets what im trying to say. jus know.. theres a reason they make computer monitors for computers and TVs for.. well.. watching on it..

Well Lancelot, it's your choice whether to take advice from the guys here. Us old timers have tried all this stuff before and just want to help you with our experience on the issue.

As already mentioned, you do not need a TV Tuner card to display a PC on a TV as a monitor. How good the quality and what resolutions you can use will rely solely on the TV at hand... what it supports and what inputs it has.

You mention your TV is a flat screen.. does this mean it's an LCD? HD possibly?

It should at the very least have SVideo and composite input. Svideo and composite will severely limit the resolution and quality of your PC display. Newer TV's also have DVI and/or HD inputs (rca cables again). If your TV has HD input, you're golden as this will support 480/720/1080 resolutions very crisply.

If you're limited to svideo and/or composite, choose svideo and hope for the best. Most svideo/composite cards can provide a semi-okay signal at "useful" desktop resolutions of 640x480 or 800x600. Anything higher is generally beyond the signal quality or scaled.

Most modern videocards come with TV-out, so you should be okay wiith your choice of videocards. ATI also sells AIW AGP videocards reasonably priced at all budget points- so if your TV does support HD-inputs, this would be the best alternative.

720p on a Sony Wega HDTV works great on every ATI AIW I've tried it on. It yields crisp, sharp desktop text and amazing widescreen gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back