UT2004 out today (review)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought it yesterday, and man this is fun :)

I prefer it over BF:1942 & BF:DC, since it's much more kill kill kill with teamwork if you want to, than I'm-defending-a-base-and-everyone-else-is-attacking elsewhere-on-this-map-it-takes-me-10-min-to-walk-to-the-closest-base-on...
(I still like the BF games, but there just isn't enough team-play on the public servers imo)

But there's allways a downside to everything, and the problem here is that a lot of people are having problems with this game. Personally I've had a problem with their sound implementation, but it's ranging from installing, running, connecting and the regular CTD's.

Luckily for me, it would seem the work-around posted on the atariforums has fixed my little problem, so I no longer has an incredible lag at a certain point.

its rare than you hear of major problems with the Unreal engine like that (i assune its an engine fault) imo the Unreal engine is superb, it loads fast, its stable, it feels solid, its ultra moddable, and the graphics it allows are amazing, the only thing i think comes close atm is Far Cry's Cryotech engine (think thats what its called) but you need one hell of a pC to use it.

Bac to Unreal, we must have a game sometime Garibaldi, im sure you'll enjoy getting your arse kicked :p

I have a brand new geforce mobo (SATA RAID, etc), a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz C, 1.5 GB RAM and a new Geforce FX 5700 graphics card.

Do you think the game will play alright? ;)

As a matter of fact, I think you'll be disappointed if you expect it not to run the game very fast :D

About the engine, yes it looks ok, but it's still using old tech, and could've looked one h**l of a lot better if Epic had chosen to work on it.

Phantasm> The reason I found out that UT2k4 was released was that I saw it could be downloaded....!
For some weird reason we have plenty of commercials for BF:Vietnam here in Norway, but none for UT...
Heck, the norwegian gamingsite hasn't even managed to put up a notice about it's release on it's frontpage...!

DoM> Go check out the TechSupport forums for UT2k4 on atariforums.com It's not really uncommon. There are some serious problems with the game, but they'll hopefully be fixed with the first patch.

Hehe, I already bought it from NewEgg. ARGH, I WANTED THE Special Edition SO BAD but no, it had to be sold out EVERYWHERE.

Grrr, oh well, I can buy a headset later. Man, UT2004 is so fun...I love it. It's coming in a couple days.

Its offical - ut2k4 0wns. It was what ut2k3 was ever meant to be and more. If you are a FPS fan and you havnt got this game then you are missing out on something. Its worth £30 just for onslaught
(=DOM=) - yeh - other than the Cryotech engine the Unreal Engine is currently the best engine on the market. Cryotech has many advantages (shaders, real-time editing, polybump etc)though an in time will take the market lead (i hope). I wonder what Source and whatever the Doom III engine is called will turn out like - but offer new levels of realism and modding....what more can you want from an engine?

Final word - I think the deathmatch bot levels are more difficult in 2k4 - im having the play on ADEPT (!!) and even then i often lose one-on-ones.

Steg

SubKamran, Steg, anyone else, We should have a game, add me to your messenger contact list (im going to work in 15 mins so i wont accept you untill i get home) anyway, email address is

d0m_uk@hotmail.com

All of the low ping iGib servers online are always full, i spent an hour watching the server population count to see if any go down...

24/24

**refresh**

24/24

**refresh**

24/24

**refresh**

24/24

**refresh**

24/24

**refresh**

24/24

**refresh**

23/24 !!!!!!!!!!!

**CLICKS JOIN!!!!!!**

**LOADS**

**Error : The server is full**

**Starts again...**

24/24

**refresh**

lol
:monkey:

Love the old/new facing worlds :D they havnt changed it that much from the original CTF-Face :D

Its basically just UT2003... only its UT2003 the way it should have been.

In the face of UT2004, UT2003 instantly comes across not so much as out of date as unfinished.

This isn't a quantum leap so much as a proper rounding off. UT2004 is more like the finished project should be.

But the two games are so similar that I guess I will just play UT2004 in place of UT2003 from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back