Verizon announces HomeFusion, residential LTE service

Jos

Staff

Verizon has been rapidly expanding its LTE coverage ever since they flipped the switch on the network on December 2010. Now, with 4G LTE service from Verizon available in 230 markets across the US, the company has decided its time to bring LTE into homes as a wired replacement.

The new HomeFusion Broadband service is available nationwide — or rather the two-thirds currently covered — and will provide transfer rates of 5 to 12Mbps for downloads and 2 to 5Mbps uploads. That’s in line with an average DSL or a basic cable Internet connection, though it will be significantly more expensive. Verizon is mainly targeting rural areas that are covered by its LTE network but not by a cable broadband provider.

verizon lte

The service requires the installation of a cylindrical antenna that will set you back $200 to start with. From there, plans start at $60 per month for a 10GB bucket of data, $90 for 20GB and go up to $120 for 30GB.  For every gigabyte that you go over your plan Verizon will charge an extra $10.

The move is expected to complement Verizon’s wired territories where it offers FiOS fiber optic service, which offers speeds up to 150Mbps. The company says it will have LTE in at least 450 markets by the end of the year, and by 2013 their LTE footprint is expected to match their current 3G footprint.

Permalink to story.

i was looking forward to the LTE, but this pricing plan SUCKS!! it's no better than the 4G WiMAX that's currently offered by Clear Wireless. there's a whole lot more of bandwidth in LTE and they're charging it by the gigabyte!!!?? $120 for 30GB!!!!? that's robbery. i was hoping that i can switch from WiMAX to LTE but after looking at this pricing plan, the move will have to wait a lot longer.

i was looking forward to the LTE, but this pricing plan SUCKS!! it's no better than the 4G WiMAX that's currently offered by Clear Wireless. there's a whole lot more of bandwidth in LTE and they're charging it by the gigabyte!!!?? $120 for 30GB!!!!? that's robbery. i was hoping that i can switch from WiMAX to LTE but after looking at this pricing plan, the move will have to wait a lot longer.
If by a lot longer you mean forever, then yes you'll be waiting a lot longer. These companies keep getting better and better at manipulating the public into paying more for less and having us learn to like it.

LOL!! Virtually any place that has 4G has cable right now. That's not going to change for nearly a year. Even then, its still a complete joke. Most rural customers don't have the same standard of living as city dwellers and therefore wouldn't even consider a ripoff such as this. They should've called it HomeFailure. *****s.

Furthermore..

The sad part is that Verizon could <b>own</b> the neglected Last Mile this way, if they weren't quite so greedy and/or delusional. Their pricing should be something like this:

Unlimited 3G connection (i.e. connection is throttled to max 3G speed):</b> $40/mth;

15gb 4G plan: $50/mth;

Unlimited 4G plan: $70/mth.

Anything more costly than that will never <b>ever</b> fly. DSL is moving into the sticks slowly but surely, but many fringe residents have used cable at work or at the homes of urban friends or relatives for years. They'll expect it to be unlimited no matter how its delivered to them, esp. when it costs <b>twice</b> as much as cable with <b>half</b> the throughput. If you must limit something, limit their speed..its still a far cry from what they have now. The bottom line is that rural folks are more interested in affordable broadband without limitations than they are in streaming HD movies. For the few that want faster connections there would be the 4G plans. Rural homeowners have satellite TV that puts no limits on how much you can watch, and they get their entire families on the same wireless network for unlimited calling - usually with cheap featurephones. <bThese</b> are their yardsticks for digital entertainment and communication. HomeFusion is a non-starter in its current form, which is sad because it has huge potential. The pricing and selection I lay out is sensible, profitable and WILL sell in all but the poorest areas. It would also be a good idea to limit plan changes to once every seven days at most to discourage people from switching to a cheaper plan every time their away for the weekend, or from going to a higher level plan just for a day of heavy downloading. Many country folks, due to necessity or upbringing, are notorious penny-pinchers and will micromanage every service they use.

Broadband access is akin to other "social and economic mobility" facets of life, such as driving a car to get to one's job or become socially engaged. As such, it ought to be more ubiquitous if we are to truly grow into a more egalitarian society. I'd like to see it become a government provided service, along with healthcare, and other "basic needs". This is the 21st century, after all.

I was looking forward to the LTE, but this pricing plan SUCKS!! it's no better than the 4G WiMAX that's currently offered by Clear Wireless. there's a whole lot more of bandwidth in LTE and they're charging it by the gigabyte!!!?? $120 for 30GB!!!!? that's robbery. I was hoping that I can switch from WiMAX to LTE but after looking at this pricing plan, the move will have to wait a lot longer.
Dude, somebody's got to pay for all that advertising, and that somebody is you...! (Well not "you" per se, but you know what I mean.

Back