Very strange happening

learninmypc

This HP laptop , HP ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook "4, has been functioning pretty good since I got it some months back as a gift. It has been reset to factory settings a few times.I use screensavers because I'm an amatuer photographer. This morning instead of going to the screensaver, the screen went black, wifi button showed I was off line & power button light was blinking. The first two times it happened this morning, I brought it back no problem. As I was getting to post a video on twitter, the laptop shutdown. OFF. I waited few moments, powered up & it gave me the option of trouble shooting, returning to w10 & others, I chose return to w10. I think it then asked if I wanted the US keyboard which I said yes to. It then started some kind of a scan of C drive which lasted a few minutes or so, re booted to desktop, I continued to do what I was doing & debated whether I should ask what happened?
I have reason to believe my laptop is virus free & malware free since I run Broni approved programs. Any thoughts? Simply directions if any, TIA :)

No back ups,(yet) I will be looking for a large enough USB to back up pics, music & such. Got this laptop 2nd hand on 7/2/18. No CD/DVD on laptop :(

First impression: HDD failing. You have backups, so get manufacturer's utility to test HDD.
After reading your post a few times, I didn't know if you meant HP or the harddrive manufacture o to get to the point, I googled hp harddrive test (or similiar wording) I did this; Perform a harddrive test, turn on computer pressing esc continuously. The HP PC Hardware diagnostics options, I clicked on the harddrive one, it took about 90 plus minutes & passed :) :)

Actually I meant maker of the HDD - which should appear in Device Manager. HP was happy which is good.

Does it display level of charge? Is this good? Does it charge properly?

It is likely to be 7-8 years old - which means battery (and charger) may be approaching end-of-life

Ok, under disk drives, it shows Hitachi HTS5545050A7E380
below that it shows Samsung MZMPC032HBCD-000

Does it display level of charge? Is this good? Does it charge properly? If you're talking about battery, it stays plugged in.
No idea how old it is, it functions pretty good.

Appears hardware is 'ok' (but does not absolve charger).
Is it still hiccoughing?
Check Reliability History for error reports - dig down to 'View technical details and share any 'problem signature' reports.

Since my original post, I'm happy to say no problems. I will "try" to check reliability history, thank you for your patience with me.

Got this far To start Reliability Monitor, click Start, type ‘reliability,’ and then choose View Reliability History. The first thing you’ll see is a chart showing your computer’s reliability history over the last two or so weeks. You can scroll the chart
& I am lost now.

Ok, hopefully I found it.
Problem
Windows was not properly shut down 4/13/2020 7;59 am

descripion The previous system shutdown at 7;40;03 AM on 4/13/2020 was unexpeced.

Nope. This is a dumb message from Microsoft informing us that the computer stopped unexpectedly. It provides no useful error description.

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: sttray64.exe
Application Version: 1.0.6417.0
Application Timestamp: 500ab35c
Fault Module Name: sttray64.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.6417.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 500ab35c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000000d962
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c444
Additional Information 2: c444d4156d5ec3be3b91c8c17cb433c0
Additional Information 3: 94b0
Additional Information 4: 94b0ee12145ad204b27669f90be833bc

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 2c935e549d14c34006ff0f3591aa4653 (73757715)

Now that's an error. c0000005 sttray64.exe

Please review the linked forum posts to see if it applies to you. Looks like you need to download and reinstall IDT audio drivers.

Now that's an error. c0000005 sttray64.exe

Please review the linked forum posts to see if it applies to you. Looks like you need to download and reinstall IDT audio drivers.

Ok, unconfuse me. If mine needed to be replaced, would the current sound be garbled? warped? I ask because I have no "known" sound problems

The faulting module is sttray - it sent data out into another part of memory it did not have rights to do and the system crashed because of this violation.

error c0000005

Exception code c0000005 is the code for an access violation. That means that your program is accessing (either reading or writing) a memory address to which it does not have rights. Most commonly this is caused by:

• Accessing a stale pointer. That is accessing memory that has already been deallocated. Note that such stale pointer accesses do not always result in access violations. Only if the memory manager has returned the memory to the system do you get an access violation.
  • Reading off the end of an array. This is when you have an array of length N and you access elements with index >=N.

Since we are not doing a dev job, it is most likely that the module is corrupted.

Ok, that is all way over my head so I think since this laptop is working fine now, we leave it as is hoping it continues to behave. If not, I will return. :)

This link under Drive Health may provide a current version and it has a pdf file of instructions:

Back