Video card crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have been having a consistent problem with my monitor screen going black while watching video or playing some games.
The problem seems to be a driver issue with my ATI Radeon 2600 XT. It is updated with current drivers but seeing as though when the screen goes blank I can still hear audio, I feel it is safe to assume it is a display adapter problem.
My setup is an ABIT IP35 Pro motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz processor. I have 2x2GB Kingston DDR2 RAM. Some hopefully helpful insight is that for most full screen games I play (F.E.A.R., Crysis, and Gears of War) the game crashes if I change from 800x600 to anything higher or lower. When I try to enter into Second Life (windowed mode), I experience the blank screen within a couple of minutes (on any resolution). This black screen also happens when viewing videos (on seemingly any player) but ever since installing ffdshow codecs, it seems to have vanished. As for the black screen, I have read about other people having video card related black outs but they all seem to have the video come back intermittently. As for me, when my screen goes blank, audio plays for about a minute then it cuts but the computer doesn’t restart. When I restart the computer there is no windows was shut down unexpectedly error. Hopefully someone here can offer at least some insight to the problem. I am sure the common solution will be to reinstall drivers, but I have reinstalled and it doesn’t help. It is not just a mater of doing things that are above my specs because i've experienced crashes on applications/games that would be a walk in the park for a pentium III.

It wouldn't be as simple as a screen saver or power management setting in Windows or bios would it? I would also check your tasks as well in control panel.

No I agree, just a quick thought at the time.

Anyway, by chance do you have another monitor you could try (to eliminate yours)

I agree that the monitor could be the source but it would be hard to explain the infinite loop my sound goes into after a short period of the screen being blank during a "crash".

YesYeYeYeYeYeYeYeYeYeYeYeYe.....

True again. I seee your point ! (I attribute this with you Paragraph of writing, and my taking it all in - being the lesser part. lol )

Lets start with the basics

Please run Memtest

And please put your computer specs in your Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back