video card crashes computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I bought a Geforce Ti4200 64MB about 7 months ago, and it worked perfectly untill about a week ago, it died on me. I sent it back, and got a replacement, same excact thing. I install it, with the newest drivers, (already had). Thing is that when I try to run a game, not even 5 seconds pass, and the screen goes blank, like its goes into hibernation, and the computer crashes. I have to hit the reset button.
I'v tried changing the resolution, refresh rates, formating my HD, and installing Windows ME (re-installed XP). Used a bunch of different NVIDIA drivers, cant change IRQ, but they worked together with the old card :/ Even got RivaTuner to change AGP rate.
I dont understand why it doesnt work now, when the old one worked for months, PLEASE Help!!

Dell Demension 4100
800Mhz 512Mb
Geforce Ti4200 64MB
Sound Blaster Audigy

Dell probably installed Dell-specific drivers for that card. Try them from your original CD that came with your PC. Then update.

Sorry, I did not read your post properly (thought the Dell PC came with that card).
Do you still have the drivers that came with the first, original card? Obviously they got you going at one time.

Is there a fan on that card and is it working? Or does it need anextra power-connector and is that plugged in?

Did you get the new 8xAGP version as replacement? In that case the voltage in your AGP-slot might be wrong.

I've had so many problems with my vga and I still am. Have you checked your RAM? I had RAM that was getting way to hot and gradually lost it's memory and games started to go blank. Yeh and make sure the fan on your vga is working it's real important.

What you mean how do you check that it's set on 8x? Well if so just go onto your display properties and then click on the advanced settings. I dont know nvidia so i cant be sure but I guess that It will have agp sttings on there. :)

The box that card came in, would say if it is the former 4x AGP or the newest 8x AGP.
Otherwise, click Start/Run and type in: dxdiag
Reading through what is displayed, it gives you a lot of info about your card, and if there are any problems with it. Within DXDIAG you can run various tests, try them, they are all documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back