video problems during games

Status
Not open for further replies.
i run a gateway 3200 XL computer with a geforce 5500

i cannot play a certain game for some reason, although my world of warcraft runs like a dream. i notice that at times during start up of my computer, this problem occurs when the desktop is loading

The problem itself is a odd distortion of the screen where only black and white is visible. it's terrible scratchy, and blinks in and out, nothing else is visible but this weird liney static that goes from left to right. Then it will go black and blink in to show a correct picture of my desktop again, and all is fine.

The other time when the problem exists is when i try to play a game called Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

it worked fine on my old computer, but since i have changed comps and videocards (upgraded from a 128 to this 256) it rarely ever works past the startup screens. i can see the logos and advertisements at the ver beginning (the white wolf and nvidia logos) but once it gets to the game start screen, nothing will work, this static jumping on the screen begins, and nothing is readable. It freezes on this.

Solutions that others have given me, that i have tried are updating my drivers, reinstalling the game, reformatting, upgrading directx.

I think the card is having a problem with the refresh rate of ur monitor being incompatible with it. Either that or it is overheating and artifacting.

it works fine during the other games i run, is it normal that it would act this way when i run only one game in particular? i usually leave my computer running all day long and rarely turn it off, so is that why it may be overheating?

when i play SWG, or world of warcraft, even Doom3 i do not have a problem. this is only during vampire the masquerade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back