Virus attack caused IE to stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

I recently had a bit of a virus attack, but I cleaned my system using bitdefender, only to find out the Internet Explorer doesn't work anymore, I have tried reinstalling 3 or 4 times but to no avail, any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, let`s make sure your system is clean.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of hynesy only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Here it is, I have run Bitdefender, windows defender, ewido and trent micro and tehy have found nothing, I did these things before posting because I have read the procedures before.
cheers
hynesy

Your HJT log appears to be clean.

However, I`d like you to rename HijackThis.exe to HijackThis1991.exe and post a fresh HJT log.

This is because some malware can hide from HijackThis.exe.

This thread is for the use of hynesy only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I renamed the hijackthis.exe to hijackthis1991.exe as well as the log file, which I have uploaded, and thanks for the help so far.
cheers
hynesy

I don't know if it matters, but before I posted here, but after i ran the scans, I ran system restore, that also had no effect to IE.

Your HJT log is still clean.

I notice you`re running IE7 as per this entry in your HJT log.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Installing-ie7] E:\Downloads\Programs\IE7RC1-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /passive /update-no

Have you tried uninstalling IE7 and rolling back to IE6?

I uninstalled IE7, then try to install IE 7 again, I will download IE6 now and give it a shot, ill post when done.
cheers
hynesy

It says, "Setup cannot continue because you are running a newer version of internet explorer" or something to that effect, but however, I dont have any browsers installed on my system so how is this happening.
cheers
hynesy

It seems to me something`s got messed up.

Have HJT fix this entry.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Installing-ie7] E:\Downloads\Programs\IE7RC1-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /passive /update-no

Click the fix checked button.

Locate and delete the following bold file(if there).

E:\Downloads\Programs\IE7RC1-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

Run Windows updates and see if that helps.

Please let me know the results.

ok will do, cheers howard and I'll let u know how it goes, just one problem, how do I run windows update with no browser?

I have tried, but cannot find the hijackthis entry for, O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Installing-ie7] E:\Downloads\Programs\IE7RC1-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /passive /update-no, I did delete the file in the downloads folder though. Still being a bit of a wanked, damn windows. any more suggestions?
cheers
hynesy

I hadn`t thought of that, you having no browser lol.

I suggest you download and install Firefox from HERE.

Then, providing it works, go HERE in Firefox and download and install IE6.

Does Firefox work ok?

Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and press the enter key. You will need your Windows disk handy. Windows will check your OS files and replace any that are damaged or missing.

If that doesn`t help, maybe you should consider doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

I havent tried firefox, but bitdefender and ewido when I did a scan while I was sleeping found more infected files, bitdefender found 5 and ewido found one, also ewido had a balloon pop up saying that a file has been corupted.

I am doing the scannow thing at this moment

Howard, I can't do scan now becasuse it asks for Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, but I only have the xp pro without service pack 2 and I have a standalone service pack 2 cd from microsoft, i tried both but to know avail, I tried a service pack reinstall but didn't work either so now I'm trying windows repair.
cheers
hynesy

You could`ve slipstreamed you Windows and the Sp2 disk, using Autostreamer.

However, since you`re now doing a Windows repair, the above is for future reference.

Let me know how you get on with the repair.

Yes by all means, it`s a very handy little application.

The next time you reformat or run a Windows repair etc, if you`ve created a slipstreamed sp2 disk, it`ll save you the hassel of installing Windows followed by sp2. In fact, it`s the recommended way of doing it.

ok, and also, while windows was repairing I had many different errors and problems come up, 5 or so, this has never happened before, so im still a bit scared for my PC, it hasn't quite finished install yet, ill let you know how it goes.
cheers

It is still not working, now when I got internet explorer it says, cannot find WININET.dll or something like that, any suggestions?

I`m sorry a repair hasn`t worked for you.

Did you try Firefox? If not, you should do so. At least then we`d know if it was just an IE problem.

The only other thing I can suggest, is you backup your important data and do a full format and reinstall.

Regards Howard :(

I will install Firewox as soon as I finish SP2, because of the repair i had to reinstall SP2, I'll let you know how I go. Thanks for the help so far.
cheers
hynesy

SP2 failed to install, it said "Access Denied" and thats all, Firefox works which is finally some good news, I will try that windows search and repair type feature you suggested earlier, i have created an xp sp2 cd with auto stream.

I am just finishing a reformat now, and thought that although my problem wasn't solved, I would like to say thanks for all the help howard, through this I have learn some new things about windows for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back