Vista checksum error

Zirotek

Hi everyone,

So im Running Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop and leant it to a mate to borrow while I was away.. when I got home i went to turn it on and it completed the POST test but then came up with a message saying :

the file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checkcum. - so im guessing the laptops not likiing the OS software.

He swears he just turned it off normally the last time he used it but im not entirely sure bout that....to me it sounds like a boot/companion virus. Anyways I went in and did some short and long scanning of the hardware through the boot system menu on startup and everything checks out. and is ok. I've got the WinVis:HP disc but can't boot from disc..

If i could Format the harddrive I'd just re-install WinVis but im having a bit of trouble formatting.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what do do and how to go about it.

Thanks.

make sure that you have the dvd rom drive enabled as a boot device in the bios. that will enable you to boot to the disk. i dont know your hot key to pull up the quick boot menu on your laptop but give that a shot

i dont know which file is having a checksum error, Better question is what main OS file(s) are hashed during startup ?... What is in itallics in the original post is the only thing that comes up on the screen after it does its POST and loads BIOS .... if i knew which file it was it'd deffinatly be easier to solve.

It wont let me hotkey a system recovery during startup either. It just goes back to that message at the same point where it should be loading the OS with no way around it....just that obscure message displayed in DOS. Going to have to format on Tuesday when I get it back.

My bet is that its a Boot/Companion virus and a format is really my only option.

ok ive got my laptop back now and tried to boot from disc...
this is what happens in point form....

* computer boots
*press any key to load from CD / DVD rom
* windows loads to 100%
* http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5337/img5670s.jpg

this is what i know in order of what it asks :

(1) I cant disable anti-virus, disc defrag or backup utilities because the only option i have is to boot from disc in hopes to reinstall the OS.
(2) I have done a diagnostics test on my HDD (long and short) and both result in telling me that its ok

I dont know how to run CHKDSK, everything auto boots as soon as I press the power button on my laptop and as far as i know i dont have the option to run it... this is as much info as I can give you so far... If you think I've missed anything please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Back