Vista Home Basic sleep BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krista

I have a Compaq Presario C503WM running Vista Home Basic and I've had the blue screen of death twice in the past few days. For what it's worth, each time it happened was when I put the computer to "sleep." Here's the error report, and the Minidumps are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Problem signature:
Problem event name: Blue Screen (no, really?!)
OS Ver: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: 07FFFFFC
BCP2: 0000001B
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 81CAD9BB
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Attachments

• Mini020608-01.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 5
Okay, this may take some time. First off your first four minidumps were all 0xA.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

In other words, a driver/kernel-mode process was trying to access an address that it is not intended to do, creating a conflict and ending in BSODs.

The issue with your dumps is that every one of the drivers cited was a core Windows process which doesn't tell us a great deal other than there is a conflict somewhere by some driver.

However, a process was noted: igfxsrvc.exe which is a driver this file needed to run Intel graphics integrated accelerator card. If this driver isn't working correctly it is no wonder you are having issues when your system goes into "sleep mode." It is a good bet that you need to upgrade your drivers from Intel.

a. Download and install and see if your issues cease.

b. According to one website "igfxsrvc.exe is the Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Service installed with the drivers for graphic cards with Intel chip-sets." Thus go to Intel's website and search for the drivers for your particular system. However, you may actually be able to find them at HP's website.

If the updating of drivers doesn't work then...

The fifth minidump was an APC_INDEX_MISMATCH 0x1. Basically a kernel was trying to communicate in way that caused conflicts. From my research this error has occured in other Windows OS as well. If you google APC_INDEX_MISMATCH and add Vista you'll see a number of people deal with this error.

1. Go to Run, type in chkdsk /f and hit enter (notice the space between k and /). If that fails to initialize just type in chkdsk and hit enter.

2. If you have a recovery disk and see if you can do a repair.

3. Contact HP's tech support. Tell them of your BSODs particularly that they are 0xA and specifically APC_INDEX_MISMATCH 0x1. Also, tell them of the driver I mentioned.

Let us know how you do.

Alright!!! After having no internet access for the past several months, my computer was very behind on all kinds of driver updates and such... I almost entirely forgot about HP Total Care Advisor, and when I ran it I got all kinds of updates.... including the Intel drivers you mentioned for my chipset graphics card. BIG RELIEF THERE! I was so worried that I had somehow managed to kill the thing. I also didn't know that I was required to make my own recovery discs... Wow... I better take care of that soon.

Thanks so much for your help!

Great! Glad it is working out and, yes, make that recovery disk and store it away in a nice safe place.

Also, thanks for letting us know it has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back