Vista Home Premium won't boot to desktop

learninmypc

A friend told me she was doing some school work of some sort on it & now she nor I can get it to boot to desktop. She said it has a virus,but....
I however did manage just now to get it to the desktop & was in the process of checking the settings in Google Chrome when the screen went black. Since then, I've tried f8 repeatedly, last known configuration a few times, safe mode with networking & probably others & no joy.
I talked to her & told her I might have to reset it to factory settings & she'd lose everything. She said that would be ok. Its a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop Model SVE14118FXW
I was considering putting Firefox portable on a flashdrive so I could hopefully get a scan or two going,but I don't know.
I will continue to "try" to get it up & going & post back if I have any luck, thanks, any ideas:)

Last edited:
I think I should of posted this in Virus & Malware. Got Eset online scanner running in safe mode now.

Everything was going pretty good till the screen went black again & restarting it gave me the option to repair computer so I'm in the process of doing a system restore. Will post back tomorrow. :)

If the system restore fails bear in mind that Sony laptops are prone to hardware problems. In hot summer conditions overheating is a possibility.

If the system restore fails bear in mind that Sony laptops are prone to hardware problems. In hot summer conditions overheating is a possibility.
System restore worked till I got most of the MS updates installed, it shut down normally last night after installing them.
Now this morning I can't get it to boot up at all & am seriously considering that factory reset I mentioned earlier. Will this link work? https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35585/c/65,66/kw/35585
Its a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop.
I again will try to get it going.

Last edited:
As you had it running OK and successfully installed Windows 7 updates before shutting down I'm thinking the laptop is likely to have a hardware problem.

As of right now, when I push the power on buttonphoto1.jpg
the 3 light above the Prt Sc/Sys Rq button light up for a second or two & the wireless & power button below the mouse pad light up & stay on but screen stays black.
I'm sill trying to get to the desktop hoping I'm not making matters worse.

Well, my patience has expired with this laptop. I'm convinced there is more to the story than what I've been told because I noticed there is damage on what I believe is the CD/DVD player slide out tray.
I finally found the user manual & tried everything it suggested to go back to factory settings but that even failed.
I even tried the info in the link I posted above but still no joy.
photo11.jpg
I've tried using ASSIST,WEB & VAIO to no avail. I'll hold on to the laptop till either this evening or early morning & if no response/ideas, its going back to the owner & I'll tell her it needs to go back to where she got it for repairs.

Just got back from vacation and I found this topic.
What's the update on this situation?

Welcome back Broni, I've tried everything I can think of to get to the desktop in hopes of returning it to factory settings, but it won't go to the desktop.
Last night I was able to get most of the MS updates installed 1 or 2 at a time, but the last time it shut down last night after installing 2 more, it now won't do anything.
I get wireless & power on lights & the 3 above the PrtSc button when I turn it on but nothing after that.

It looks to me like possible hardware problem.

Let's see if we can take a look from the outside...

NOTE 1. Use another working computer to download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. Use USB flash drive to transfer it from good computer to the bad one.
NOTE 2. Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Windows Complete PC Restore
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note:
    Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Ok, first off, I get nothing but a black screen when I boot whether I'm using the ASSIST,WEB,F8 or anything. but the USB is plugged in & I'll try the boot anyhow.

Ok, it was originally in Windows OS forum but I asked to have it moved here. I might have it moved back, thank you for your time. :)

p22003888.gif

This Vaio is a recent computer and I'm thinking it may be still under guarantee. The thread title should have said Windows 7 not Vista. If so that has to be the way to go. Sony are out of the computer business now but there must be procedures in place for such as this. Their support was not good though.

This Vaio is a recent computer and I'm thinking it may be still under guarantee. The thread title should have said Windows 7 not Vista. If so that has to be the way to go. Sony are out of the computer business now but there must be procedures in place for such as this. Their support was not good though.
When I started this thread, I had no idea if it was a Vista or a W7. The original thread title was "
Vista Home Premium won't boot to desktop (NOT MINE)".
I too wish it was under warranty because I'd of told the owner to take it back, but since its a hand me down, I came in here hoping to get it working again. :)

Back