Vista Keeps Crashing After BIOS Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am about at my wits end with my computer. I shall recount my tale of woe from the beginning.

I was experiencing sound issues (snap-crackle-pops) due to conflicting drivers (I assume) between my GeForce 8800 GT and my Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic card. I had read somewhere that this may be resolved by a BIOS update. I proceeded to update the BIOS of my P5K-E/WiFi MoBo from 0806 to the beta BIOS 1002. This did not resolve my sound issues so I downgraded to 0906 which was the newest release which was not a beta.

The computer seemed to work fine for a while but since yesterday I've been getting blue screens of death regularily and without any sort of rhyme or reason. They will occur when I try and scan for viruses, or sometimes while I'm rebooting, or while I'm installing something. Some of the error codes I've been getting from these are:

0x0000001A
0x0000000A
0x0000007F
STOP 0x00000024
STOP 0x0000004e
STOP 0x0000008e
irql_not_less_or_equal
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

From my research, it seems that these errors (and there are others, I just haven't recoreded them all) are associated with hardware failures and RAM problems and I believe there was one that was related to NTFS files system problems. The most strange part is that I had absolutely zero hardware trouble (other than the aforementioned sound issue) before I updated my BIOS. So I assume it is the BIOS that is causing these problems.

I have attached all the minidumps that were available to me.

What I've done other than downgrading to 0906 is to wipe the drive containing my OS (which didn't solve anything).

Now, my current plan is to install XP rather than Vista and use an older version of AsusUpdate to try and downgrade my BIOS back to 0806 since I tried doing it with the current version of AsusUpdate and it told me it wouldn't work because of a mismatch between EEPROM something (I'm not all that learned when it comes to BIOS). I also tried putting it back to 0806 by using EZFlash 2 and AFUDOS and neither of those worked either.

Some other notes of interest which might be helpful are:

- Windows will sometimes give me a list of "solutions" to my problem and one of them involves updating the drivers for my chipset. I tried this and it didn't help either. And now, when I try to do it, I get a blue screen.

If anyone can help me solve this problem, I would eternally grateful.

Thank you.

System Specs:
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 1333FSB 2PCI-E16 3PCI 2PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound WLAN Motherboard

4GB RAM (Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory)

Galaxy GeForce 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out OEM Video Card *IR-$20*

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.2GHZ 800FSB 2MB Retail

Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card

Hi Zeno,

Thanks for helping me out. I ran Memtest86 overnight and here is what I got.

That number in the right hand lower corner (32767) kept cycling between that and, what I assume to be zero as the numbers moved to fast to see. So, apparently, as per the WallTime, it only ran 53 minutes before it detected an error. The last time I ran it, which was just a little after all this started, it ran to completion and never detected any errors.

The part that troubles me is that my RAM was working fine before I did this BIOS update. Correct me if I'm wrong, but could this not still indicate a problem with the BIOS since Memtest should, I assume, implicitly test the MoBo as well?

Anywho, where do we go from here, I really don't know that much about RAM and hardware problems.

Thanks again.

you failed the golden rule of BIOS updates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You did save the old BIOS to reflash back right?

Lol. Yea, I have the old BIOS. I actually, just got it installed again. I downgraded to windows XP, ran an old version of AsusUpdate and this allowed me to install the 0806 version of my BIOS. I'm just reinstalling Vista as we speak. I will report on what happens.

Not good at all. You can try downgrading the BIOS and see what happens, I'm not sure it will make any difference. However, after you've downgraded, I would test the RAM right away, I wouldn't wait for Vista (or anything else) to crash on you.

I've got Vista installed now. I updated my chipset drivers and I've installed the drivers for my graphics card and sound card. I'm going to do another memtest and I will report back on the results.

Have you had any luck with your problem as i seem to be having the same trouble and i have run out of things to try. The only thing i have found is im running 4, 1 gig sticks of ocz 800 platinum and the blue screens stop when i take 2 sticks out and run with just 2 gig, tested all ram with no probs. Thanks.

blue screens after bios update

Have you got anyware with your problem yet as i seem to be having same trouble and im running out of things to try. One thing i have found is im running 4,one gig sticks of ocz 800 platinum DDR2 and the blue screens seem to stop when i take 2 sticks out and run on just 2 gig, tested all memory and its fine thanks.

I had that problem, so I installed Vista on just one stick of ram, updated to service pack one and then put 3 back in to make 4GB again.

no problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back