Vista must die

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostviking

my xp had a couple blue screen episodes that caused me to get another hard drive. I decided to go with vista at that time--April--and had more blue screen the first week then with xp. Long story short my pc keeps crashing and I want to try windows7. I need to get vista off but add/remove doesn't list it as a program I can remove. I've tried three times to install windows7 using the custom install but vista seems to be holding on by it's fingertips and the install fails. How do I get vista off and install windows7?

On installing Win7 ,If my memory servs, In the drive options section click on Advanced options ,this will give options to delete or format the hdd

I'll give it a shot. I recall there are two options: Installing over current o/s, or custom, that replaces current o/s. I tried custom twice with no success.

As ManQu said format\delete your OS drive,just remove anything you want save.
What i did when i installed 7 was delete my drive.

Are you sure it's not a hardware problem though since on both os's you had blue screens.

Your problem is likely elsewhere... it was giving you fits before you changed to VISTA so do not blame it on the innocent one.

Two different OSes with BSoD ........ I am sure its something with your hardware not the other way round; I've used Vista x64 (SP1/2) for a quite a while and only ever experienced BSoD when one of my DDR2 RAM Modules went north ........

Okay, let me bring you all up to speed. Whilst dealing with my pc I decided to update my laptop; new hdd, more memory, etc. Afterward I did a check for win7 upgrade (I was running XP.) Everything passed so I installed win7 32 bit on my laptop and love it. I have a new hdd for my pc and want to do the same, leaving out the middle man (Vista.) I should be able to install XP on the hdd, get it up and running, and then put the win7 upgrade on right?

What are the proper steps to do this right the first time? I have a 500gb hdd I'll be using, should I partition equally, or at all?

Is there an order for installing drivers for sound, video, etc?

First of all you need to decide how you want to partition your hdd, I will suggest you to have it like this:

1. Two Partitions of at least 80 GB, for each of your OS (i.e. XP and Win7)
2. You can either keep the remaining space in one partition or divide it into 2 or more according to your needs.

You can create partitions or delete partitions during windows setup process (either XP or Win7).

And about installing OS's:

1. Install Windows XP first, and remember Windows XP does not have native SATA support. So ideally you should enable 'IDE Emulation' for SATA in your system's BIOS.
2. Once XP is successfully installed, you can then proceed to install Windows 7.

Its your decision whether you want to put XP or Win 7 on your first partition; usually i put my primary OS on C:.

Now drivers, I think it really doesn't matter in what order you install them, however, starting from motherboard/chipset drivers, then display/sound is how i normally do it. Once that process is completed straightaway put an good AV and Firewall solution on your system before you install any other software.

First of all you need to decide how you want to partition your hdd, I will suggest you to have it like this:

1. Two Partitions of at least 80 GB, for each of your OS (i.e. XP and Win7)
2. You can either keep the remaining space in one partition or divide it into 2 or more according to your needs.

You can create partitions or delete partitions during windows setup process (either XP or Win7).

And about installing OS's:

1. Install Windows XP first, and remember Windows XP does not have native SATA support. So ideally you should enable 'IDE Emulation' for SATA in your system's BIOS.
2. Once XP is successfully installed, you can then proceed to install Windows 7.

Its your decision whether you want to put XP or Win 7 on your first partition; usually i put my primary OS on C:.

Now drivers, I think it really doesn't matter in what order you install them, however, starting from motherboard/chipset drivers, then display/sound is how i normally do it. Once that process is completed straightaway put an good AV and Firewall solution on your system before you install any other software.

I see that I have a C: partition of 100mb which is too small for XP and I have unpartitioned space of 476837mb. Should I partition the latter or can I combine the two and split that in half? Thanks.

As you are re-installing; I will advise to delete that small partition; then recreate new one according to above suggestions, and then proceed with your installation. Regards

Okay, I'm ready tio admit it's not Vista it's my pc. I've made some notes from bsod as follows:

BAD_POOL_HEADER
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Also, when it restarts now it goes right to check disk for consistancy mode. I'm not sure how to proceed.

For a short period of about 5 or 6 months, some of those Seagate drives were trouble. You might write down the model numbers and such, and take a look on the Seagate Site to see if that is one of the bad ones they were willing to replace.
Seagate is pretty good about defective units... We have found them willing to ship a new drive before they actually received the suspect one.

I downloaded a tool from Seagate that scanned my hdd and it found nothing wrong. The pc is becoming more unstable and I either have to restart or it hits me with bsod. Two new messages are Bad_Pool_Caller, and PFN_List_Corrupt.. Every restart results in checkdisk running prior to reboot and I did see a message that a driver was "mismanaging system PTES."
Also, when I get it rebooted and am using it a mini windows logo appears on the power down button that says undates will be installed when I turn it off. This happens multiple times a day. Tha icon isn't present at first after restart but eventually appears.

Sorry... you have given it a valiant try...
You have a hardware issue, it seems, but whether it is the audio card, video graphics card, or the motherboard has to be determined...
There still appear to me to be some errors on the software on the hard drive... so I would try installing another hard drive, and go all the way through the installs, updates, and downloads... There are lots of ways to do this, but you may have to try out every component and software install to figger out where the problem may be.

PFN_List_Corrupt usually means there are issues with your RAM. Do you minidumps available for analysis ?

I just installed a new hdd. I had to put XP on it as neither Vista or 7 would load directly. My plan is to upgrade to 7 but I can't get internet. My PCI device is not working and I've searched high and low for drivers to no avail. If I put the old hdd back in I have internet. I've searched the old hdd for PCI drivers, etc. but nothing.

Well, of course, that shouldn't be. Did you have trouble loading Windows 7 because you don't have internet, or what? Please tell us more.

i installed xp to then upgrade to 7. I wasn't allowed a direct 7 install. I tried the install that left the files on my hdd, and was prompted to close and go online to see how to install 7. I haven't tried to boot from the cd drive to install it that way but might. I'd really like toget the PCI thing fixed first.

We are curious as to what you mean by, "as neither Vista or 7 would load directly" and "I wasn't allowed a direct 7 install"
Were you using a standard Microsoft Windows 7 install disk, or a recovery disk from a computer manufacturer.
What sort of error message did you get when it "wasn't allowed."?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back