Walmart's Amazon Prime competitor reportedly on track to launch this month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Whether or not the climate is ripe for the introduction of such a subscription service likely depends on who you ask. On one hand, Covid-19 has prompted many people to explore ongoing grocery delivery as a way to reduce exposure to others in public. Conversely, the pandemic has put a lot of people out of jobs and now might not be the best time to peddle an annual subscription to those experiencing economic hardships.

Walmart was expected to unveil its answer to Amazon Prime, a subscription service tentatively called Walmart+, as early as March but the global pandemic put those plans on the backburner. Now, multiple sources have told Recode that the big-box retailer is ready to move forward with its launch later this month.

Walmart+, for those not up to speed, is a paid membership program that the company has been readying behind the scenes for nearly two years. Expected to debut at $98 per year, the membership will reportedly include unlimited same-day delivery of groceries and other goods from nearby Walmart Supercenters as well as additional perks like discounts on fuel at Walmart gas stations, the return of Walmart’s Scan & Go service and discounts on prescription drugs at Walmart pharmacies.

Sources also told Recode that membership holders will receive reserved grocery delivery slots, open-slot notifications and perhaps limited access to Walmart’s new two-hour express delivery option. Other perks could include early access to product deals and the addition of video entertainment components down the line.

It is unclear if Walmart+ will launch nationally in one fell swoop or via a staggered rollout. Seemingly, an all-in launch would have the most impact but we shall see.

Image credit: Sundry Photography, Skylines

Permalink to story.

Not sure if it's a good deal, especially at a premium price per year. Considering these will no doubt be filled by local Walmart stores they simply won't have the overhead. Had they come in with a very nominal price of $25 a year I think they would be swamped but only time will tell .....

No movie or music streaming to it for the same price as prime = no where close to as good of a deal as prime

No movie or music streaming to it for the same price as prime = no where close to as good of a deal as prime

It depends. If you don't use those services they aren't even a consideration. Pricing on Amazon has gone nowhere but up as well. It used to be prime gave you shipping for free. Now everything includes the price of shipping into the item so whether you buy on prime or not, you are paying for shipping.

Walmart beats Amazon pretty significantly when it comes to the pricing of grocery and heavier items. I can see 1 day delivery being very enticing given walmart's grocery edge over Amazon.

I hate buying from walmart, I don't care if they have better deals. whether it's the "check your receipt" policy or waiting in line for 30 minutes because they only have one register open.

Having shopped at Wal-Marts across the country when I was travelling for work; I doubt many of their customers can afford $100

I live in Vancouver, Canada.
I've used Walmart online shopping for a number of years.
It started out great - no minimum purchase - no delivery fee's.
I remember ordering a bag of Earl Grey tea bags, and finding it in my mailbox a few days later.

Then, they started adding "grocery" shopping, which for the most part came from the local store or warehouse.
Now, all of a sudden, many items are out of stock, and you are forced to the local shop, even if you order from the online store. Which means you will now pay a $7.95 delivery fee. Also, minimum orders have now become $50.

About a year ago, I started ordering from Instacart. I pay $10.95 per month for unlimited deliveries, and a small fee on each order. While it took a long time (4 - 6 days) to get an order delivered due to COVID-19, I can now place orders and get them delivered within 2 hours.
With Instacart, I can now shop Walmart, SuperStore, Staples, T&T, and M&M.

With Instacart, if Walmart is out of something I ordered, I get to communicate with my shopper in real time and they will even send photos of what is on the shelf when offering substitutions. I love it.

I hope that Walmart+ is a success, but for now, I will be ordering through Instacart.

Unless you drive A TON, what good would it do, to pay almost a hundred bucks a year, when you can drive to a wally world and pick it up anyway? No music/video, plus a TON of other things you can get on Amazon, that you can't get a wally world.

I live in Vancouver, Canada.
I've used Walmart online shopping for a number of years.
It started out great - no minimum purchase - no delivery fee's.
I remember ordering a bag of Earl Grey tea bags, and finding it in my mailbox a few days later.

Then, they started adding "grocery" shopping, which for the most part came from the local store or warehouse.
Now, all of a sudden, many items are out of stock, and you are forced to the local shop, even if you order from the online store. Which means you will now pay a $7.95 delivery fee. Also, minimum orders have now become $50.

About a year ago, I started ordering from Instacart. I pay $10.95 per month for unlimited deliveries, and a small fee on each order. While it took a long time (4 - 6 days) to get an order delivered due to COVID-19, I can now place orders and get them delivered within 2 hours.
With Instacart, I can now shop Walmart, SuperStore, Staples, T&T, and M&M.

With Instacart, if Walmart is out of something I ordered, I get to communicate with my shopper in real time and they will even send photos of what is on the shelf when offering substitutions. I love it.

I hope that Walmart+ is a success, but for now, I will be ordering through Instacart.

According to their website, minimum order for free shipping is still $35

https://www.walmart.com/cp/free-shipping/1088989

I've never encountered that delivery fee or being forced to the local shop either, even for heavier items like a carpet cleaner.

It sounds like a lot of what you're describing could be caused by the virus or might be regional. A lot of things were / are still out of stock. Heck, you still can't get paper towels where I live.

Instacart is great for those that need full blown grocery shopping but it definitely costs more. As you mentioned there's a membership fee plus a per delivery fee anywhere from $3.99 USD to $9.99. Not frequently mentioned, if you aren't shopping at a partner store, they charge you over retail price for what you are buying. Makes sense as they get products from partner stores under retail price. After all, you can't honestly expect them to be able to pay shoppers with $4 to $10 USD, the money has to come from somewhere and that membership fee certainly isn't going to cover it. I've not heard good things of the way they treat their shoppers either.

In the end they are all companies and their main goal is to make money.

From Walmart.ca website:

Home Delivery – We offer free shipping to select locations in Canada on orders over $50 (before taxes). Shipping charges will apply if your order is less than $50, contains heavy or oversized items, and/or is being shipping to a location that does not qualify for free shipping, particularly remote locations.

Just found this when I went to book a time slot for delivery:

Yes, there’s a fee of $9.97 for picking, packing, and delivering your order.

I hate buying from walmart, I don't care if they have better deals. whether it's the "check your receipt" policy or waiting in line for 30 minutes because they only have one register open.

These 2 things, more than anything else, are what really pisses me off about wally world....

And FYI, I read a recent study somewhere that stated that they (or anyone else) have absolutely ZERO legal justification to support the requirement of checking your receipts (with exception of 2-3 states) **UNLESS** they are prepared to accuse you of shoplifting... so this is exactly the response I give them when their checkers step in front of me (SO RUDE & OBNOXIOUS) at the exit or comes running over towards me saying they need to check my receipt...

Make me stand in line for 15 minutes and THEN expect me to also wait in line AGAIN so someone can check my reciept, n.O.t... they can B.M.A. :D

Instead of paying someone to check receipts, why not put them on a register and reduce the lines instead...

From Walmart.ca website:

Home Delivery – We offer free shipping to select locations in Canada on orders over $50 (before taxes). Shipping charges will apply if your order is less than $50, contains heavy or oversized items, and/or is being shipping to a location that does not qualify for free shipping, particularly remote locations.

CAD does not equal USD, that's why I specified USD. $50 CAD is equal to $37 USD which is pretty darn close to the $35 USD I quoted earlier.

Back