WAN keeps disconnecting...what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foycur

Sorry if I stuck this in the wrong forum, I saw Networking and thought it was the right place.

My desktop is hooked into DSL service through an Actiontec Gateway 1524 router that is wireless capable with a card. I bought the card and hooked up my wife's laptop through the wireless, and all is good. My desktop's DSL line exits the computer, enters the router, then the other line exits the router and I have it plugged into a female receptacle on a phone line that my father hard wired into the wall jack of my kitchen. Recently, I got DirecTV (which totally rocks) and there is a phone connection necessary to get some of the services. So I ran that phone wire around my room, behind my desk, and got a female 'splitter' that I pulugged into the female receptacle of the aforementioned phone wire.

Since I've done that, the WAN connection has kept dropping and I have to go in and fix it through the browser by manually reconnecting it. I don't know jack (no pun intended) about phone lines and signals....could it be the receptacle is causing all sorts of problems? If so, is there a solution where I can use the same phone line for both DSL and my satellite TV connection?

If I understand this correctly, you have a slipter coming out from the wall one to your dsl modem and the other to the direct tv box.You probably need to place a filter on that line some how or just install another wall jack just for the direct tv that way you can place a filter on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back