Want new power supply help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanimefanx

Can anyone tell me which power supply i should get and how to take out my other one and install the new one

Intel Pentium 4 processor 630 supporting hyper-threading technology
3Ghz 800 mhz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache
200 GB SATA HD
7200 RPM 8 MB CACHE
1024 MB DDR DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY
DOUBLE LAYER 16x Multi-format DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD-ROM Drives
3 FireWire, 7 Usb Ports
Intel Graphics media accelerator 900
Available PCI-Express x16 Slot - Putting Sapphire Radeon X1650 512mb in it
Intel Pro 10/100 Mbps LAN
Digital Memory Card Reader 8 in 1

Forgive me if you did post it and I just missed it, (its early in the morning here :() But what's your psu like at the moment?

Hexon said:
Forgive me if you did post it and I just missed it, (its early in the morning here :() But what's your psu like at the moment?

The Graphic/Video card requires at least a 350 watt powersupply and i have 300 watts so i want to go up to at least 400,450 watts or so

Sapphire Radeon X1650 is supposed to be pretty good.

That would be a good idea. Make sure you get one thats highly recommended. They do cost a little more (at those wattages, maybe $10?), but they would be worth it.

Best to get one a little better than you need like CMH is saying to get a highly recommended one. I can vouch for the one I just got. It's an Ultra Xfinity 600 watts. Dual 12 volt rails. It has 18 amps on one 12v rail & 20 amps on the other. When I get a second 8800 GTS I will have to upgrade again to maybe 60 amps combined on the 12 volt rail(s). After getting a high power GPU I soon learned the value of your power supply. (especially amperage).

1. Use a PSU calculator (google it) and add 30% to determine requirements.
2. go to Tomshardware.com and read their PSU tests - especially their 2006 torture test.
3. PSU installation is easy. unplug the old one, remove all cables. (mark them if you need to) and install the new one. Ensure EVERYTHING you disconnected is replaced.
4. Ensure your voltage is correct on the back of your PSU. Using the wrong voltage with your outlet will smoke your system.
5. Turn the system on.

Tedster said:
1. Use a PSU calculator (google it) and add 30% to determine requirements.
2. go to Tomshardware.com and read their PSU tests - especially their 2006 torture test.
3. PSU installation is easy. unplug the old one, remove all cables. (mark them if you need to) and install the new one. Ensure EVERYTHING you disconnected is replaced.
4. Ensure your voltage is correct on the back of your PSU. Using the wrong voltage with your outlet will smoke your system.
5. Turn the system on.
the PSU Calculator is pretty confusing
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
i couldn't figure out what all that stuff is

Just fill in those drop down boxes, and click "calculate".

Mine came up to be 605W..... Good thing I got the 650W PSU....

CMH said:
Just fill in those drop down boxes, and click "calculate".

Mine came up to be 605W..... Good thing I got the 650W PSU....
i got 375W when i add it in as a dual processor but as single processor 304W because i dont know what kind pentium 4 630 3ghz is it comes either way with the sapphire radeon x1650pro in it

Problem is i dont want to buy a power supply and really not find out im missing something or it wont fit in the case can someone look me up a good powersupply for me?

Your computer should take standard ATX power supplies, unless it is a branded computer (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc).

In that case, there is a chance that your computer is not compatible with other power supplies.

As for the P4 630, it is single core, but I wouldn't trust a 300W PSU to pump out 300W. You should always leave room for fluctuations.

Also, most of the cheap PSU out there rate their power at maximum output, instead of maximum sustainable output. Which means they can pump 300W, but only for a short period of time. And even then, thats at a theoretical 25C ambient temperature, if your room is warmer than 25C, it wouldn't even pump out 300W.

I only know a few good brands. The one I'm using is Antec, they make good power supplies. There are many other names, but not very readily available where I live, so I'm not familliar with them, other people can fill in here.

CMH said:
Your computer should take standard ATX power supplies, unless it is a branded computer (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc).

In that case, there is a chance that your computer is not compatible with other power supplies.

As for the P4 630, it is single core, but I wouldn't trust a 300W PSU to pump out 300W. You should always leave room for fluctuations.

Also, most of the cheap PSU out there rate their power at maximum output, instead of maximum sustainable output. Which means they can pump 300W, but only for a short period of time. And even then, thats at a theoretical 25C ambient temperature, if your room is warmer than 25C, it wouldn't even pump out 300W.

I only know a few good brands. The one I'm using is Antec, they make good power supplies. There are many other names, but not very readily available where I live, so I'm not familliar with them, other people can fill in here.

I have a Gateway computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back