Want to know of a good cooler for 8600gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

I have never overclocked before. I have read the simple over clocking FAQ and I understand it can be dangerous. I am only looking to overclock my video card it is an XFX GeForce 8600gt xxx edition. I don't want to overclock it dangerously high but i would like to get as high as i can safely so that i can run games with amazing graphics now and ones in the future on higher settings and last a while. What would be the best thing i could get at a price below $50.00?

my card currently runs at 50 C in a room that is about 23 C with no use and a max of 75 C while playing crysis in the editor at max settings with lots of vehicles and ai everywhere on a relatively empty map according to ntune. I had read in one of the posts that a video card can run at 90 C so what temperature should i try to keep when overclocking?

encase you need to know more about the card here is the item number on newegg N82E16814150229

Thanks a lot! i would like to know should i get the fans they make for it too? or are there other better fans for it?

See if you can just cable tie a cheap 92mm, or 120mm fan to it.

Might not look all that great, but if you've got the space to do that, and don't mind looking at it (you can try to spruce it up or something), it will work, and probably work better than the small dual fans they market to attach directly to it.

Bear in mind that the space thing is the biggest worry, since it'll probably take up an extra slot.

edit: Btw, the figures for graphics card overclocking isn't as great as CPU overclocking. What I mean is that you shouldn't expect insane 50% overclocks or something like that.

Also, overclocking, although giving you better performance, doesn't necessarily equate to higher settings, or ability to play newer games you couldn't before. Its usefull in bumping up the framerates to slightly more playable (so that its less choppy). However, feel free to give it a go, I just wanted to dispell any unrealistic expectations.

Ok thanks and so you know i have lower expectations like i would be very happy to get a 25% increase. By the way if it helps at all i can go to verry high settings in crysis without it crashing or anything it just runs at an average frame rate of 7to10 depending on the area but it acts choppy like you say or if its on all high it runs at 12 to 13 depending on the area and still acts kinda choppy. and i am alright with frame rates of 15 or above as long as its smooth but the usuol settings for me are mostly medium with high textures and very high sound, physics, and model quality at an average of 22 frames per second.

As far as it taking up another slot i think if i use a 120mm fan it will take up the other pcie x16 slot by only 5 or 6 millimeters.

I have been planing on getting a second card i would have to wait a while before i could so I'm not sure if i should even overclock.

I had seen this but i doesn't seem to have very great reviews but its a cheap water cooler for 2 cards but I'm not sure if i should get it. would it be worth it to get it now and a second card later and overclock two cards or just get two cards in a while and work on overclocking later down the line?

here is the item number because i cant do links yet

newegg Item#:N82E16835103028

thanks for all the help!

Okay.

I'm not a really big fan of suggesting watercooling solutions to anyone, but since you brought it up...

Cheap watercooling solutions are generally crap. You're better off with a really good aircooling solution, as you might only see 1-2C lower temps. I think this is true for CPUs, might have to dig up something to see if its the same for GPUs...

Specifically for the Coolermaster product: realise the fan on the radiator. Its only 75mm. Yes, it does use 2, but these are really small fans, meaning is a pretty small radiator. Its not going to do the job much better than a good aircooler IMO. Thats assuming only 1 GPU is connected of course. In the end, its all about the cooling surface available.

Hoever, you will notice that it'll take longer to heat up. For most people, this would be a moot point, but if you game in 15-20 minute sessions, might be a good thing.

Also, do realise that with watercooling, you're going to have to take on more risks (leaks being the most worrisome, followed by blockages). Which is why I don't just recommend them casually.

If you might be using the other PCIE slot, and will not have any other add on cards (sound card?), you might be interested in the Thermalright HR-03GT (I'm using an older version of this thing). When adding a fan to it, it'll take an extra 2 slots (3 in total), but you can install it in either side of the card (top side or bottom side) so you might be able to fit this monster somewhere. Its designed with a 92mm fan in mind tho. Would love to see a review comparing this and watercooling systems.

Of course, downside is the size and cost (since it doesn't come with its own fan).

About the SLI.

To me, SLI is overrated. Bear in mind that you will not see a 100% boost in performance, 50% is more likely. You will do better if you spent that money on a better first card. Lower power consumption, CPU usage, space issues (?), cost, motherboard cost, etc makes it not a really good thing to do. Raises your e-ego up a notch tho...

OK from looking around and comparing the Accelero S1 rev. 2 and the Thermalright HR-03 GT a lot more people had recommended the accelero than the thermalright and there is a test I had seen I cant show you the link tho because I need more posts but if you search this in google images (Accelero S1 rev. 2 120mm fan) and choose the image with the graph they tested a few of the best vga air coolers and the accelero didn't do as good as the thermalright but it was only off by a few degrees and seeing as how its cheaper I think it looks like a better deal.

I looked at how big it is and I did more detailed measurements of my case and I will be able to fit a 120mm fan on it but it will just barley take up the other pcie x16 slot and it will leave around an inch from my sound card. thanks for telling me that sli is overrated and doesn't double performance that helps a lot so i will get a better card much later on when I really need to. I have been thinking I might be able to put 2 120mm fans on it so would that be worth it or is it better to just have one. My sound card is small so I would think the card would still be able to get good air flow. When I buy the fan or fans how many cmf should I settle for?

Thanks again for all your help!

For cooler this size, you don't need a high CFM fan. It all depends on how low you want your temps to be, but beware of diminishing returns. Doubling your fan speed (or CFM) does not halve your temps, and can be more than double the noise.

My recommendation is to get a fan that isn't too loud. Thank god 120mm fans aren't loud to start with (I do have a pretty loud 120mm fan, which I removed for psychological reasons :D). I doubt you can go wrong with it, but if you want to be ready for anything, get a high CFM fan, and then use a fan controller (or a 12 to 5V converter, although those do come with some problems) to reduce the speed. Buying a fan that works at the speed you want already would be best, but if you got no idea what you want, thats the best alternative.

Thanks a lot you have been incredibly helpful this is the best forum ever!!! I'm just getting a 2 pack of 120mm fans that are very quiet i would think they could keep more surface area cool than just one so thanks for all the help!

Item#:N82E16835103022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back