Was under siege, now have no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

HijoDeDios

My desktop became infected, had fake anti-virus pop-ups, and other pop-ups that were disguised as Windows messages. Could not open any programs including task manager unless I started them right when Windows booted. Also I lost internet connectivity, but my laptop can still connect wirelessly (desktop has wired connection). I ran through the 8 steps and cleaned some things out, the pop-ups have stopped, but still have no internet connection. The connection shows packets sent and received, but explorer can't bring up a site and none of the programs can access the internet to update. Can anyone help? I am running through the Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware a second time and will attach both logs along with HJT.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-01-18 (18-07-08).txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 2
  • mbam-log-2010-01-18 (19-13-40).txt
    875 bytes · Views: 2
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-18-2010 - 18-27-46.log
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-18-2010 - 19-35-38.log
    465 bytes · Views: 1
  • hijackthis.log
    5.9 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure about what connectivity you actually have.

For this:
pop-ups that were disguised as Windows messages
Go to start> Run> type in services.msc> double click on Messenger> Change the Startup type to Disabled. Stop the Service. Close Services.

Then open Windows Explorer: Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Local Drive (C)> Programs> scroll down to Messenger and do a right click> rename> change the name to read:
messengerold. Close

You have processes running for multiple antivirus programs:
Avira
McAfee>
AVG v7 which is no longer supported

You should decide which you want to keep and remove the others for the following reasons:
  • Multiple antivirus programs can cause conflicts that may leave the system more vulnerable.
  • Multiple antivirus programs can also slow down the system.

If you are using a paid program, Consider removing the free programs. If you are using a Trial of a paid program, please decide which programs you would like to keep and remove the others. You will find the following removal tools helpful:
  • McAfee Removal
  • AVG Removal: Note: You may have to reinstall AVG to uninstall it fully
  • For Avira:
  • Start> Settings> Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs (Windows 2000/ XP) or Start - Control Panel - Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / 7)
  • Wait for the list of installed programs to load, then click the name of the Avira program.
  • Click Remove next to the program's name (Windows 2000 / XP) or in the menu above the list (Windows Vista / 7).
  • Press Yes, to confirm the removal and then OK.
  • . Click Next until Finish. The software is removed.
[/LIST]
Please reboot the system when you have made the change. .

After you have handled the above, please rescan with Hijackthis and attach anew log to next reply.
Do an online scan and include log:
Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back