Watch Live: Apple's iPhone 11 keynote

mongeese

Staff
Recap: Apple has shown the world once again they have the advertising genius of no other company and that Steve Jobs' reality distortion field is very much alive. The event announcements included Apple's Arcade and Apple TV+ showcase, both subscriptions set at $4.99 each. A new slightly larger $329 iPad, a new Apple Watch Series 5 with an always-on display (Series 3 is down to $199). All new iPhones sporting the new A13 Bionic SoC, the iPhone 11 will replace the Xr at a lower $699 price point, and the new iPhone 11 Pro models replace the XS with a triple-camera system. Our full coverage of the launches will follow on TechSpot's homepage soon.

In the Steve Jobs Theatre at Apple HQ in Cupertino, California, Apple employees are busily preparing for the launch of this year’s iPhones, which rumors indicate will be called the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11R. As the most significant update since the iPhone X itself, Apple has finally relented and will be livestreaming their keynote on YouTube, in addition to the the usual streams via Apple's website and tvOS app.

Following past trends, the new iPhones will release on September 20, ten days after their announcement. A variety of leaks (which we’ve covered in full) gives us a good description of what the series is going to look like. What isn’t changing is the prices, storage configurations, ports or the displays. In essence, we’ll get an 11R for $750 with a 6.1” LCD, and the 11 and 11 Pro will cost $1,000 and $1,100, respectively, with 5.8” and 6.5” screens.

The most significant change is the cameras. All the models will get one extra lens, with the 11R adding zoom, and the big models taking advantage of a new wide-angle model from Sony, in addition to their normal and zoom options. Apple’s sticking with 12 MP for every camera on the back, but they’re finally upgrading the front-facing model from 7 MP to 12 MP and adding 120 fps slow-motion capture.

Rounding out the exciting upgrades are a new A13 chipset potentially offering 20% superior performance, and iOS 13, which has already been demonstrated to be great for battery life.

The iPhones will also copy Samsung and Huawei’s new wireless power share features which enable them to wirelessly charge other devices; it's expected this will cooperate with the new Airpod wireless charging case. Speaking of charging, the devices might also ship with the significantly faster 18W USB brick that is currently sold separately. As a bonus there’s also a new Taptic Engine, replacing 3D Touch.

When and how to watch

You’ll be able to watch the livestream here on TechSpot on September 10 (see times below) and we’ll be covering every product and detail the minute they’re revealed. For the first time Apple has opened up the keynote livestream to YouTube, so sharing it and watching live will be easier than before.

Time Zone Time
Pacific Time (North America) 10:00 AM
Mountain Time (North America) 11:00 AM
Central Time (North America) 12:00 PM
Eastern Time (North America) 1:00 PM
UTC/GMT (Europe) 5:00 PM
Western European Daylight 6:00 PM
Central European Daylight 7:00 PM
Eastern European Daylight 8:00 PM
Australian Eastern Standard Time (included so we can laugh at them) 3:00 AM

Permalink to story.

This will go in history as the day when Apple discovered YouTube. According to rumors, during the event, Apple will reveal another groundbreaking thing - scissors-switch keyboard, after years of tormenting its customers with somewhat drawn/flat keys that didn't work. Be ready to spend big though on Apple's cutting edge tech.

Last edited:
It's amazing how much rumor and conjecture Apple conjures up among Youtubbers all year long between releases.

I certainly hope iPhone 11 will be more exciting than the leaks and Youtubbers have made it out to be.

My XS MAX 512GB has been a perfect device and allowed me to make 6 hour long travel videos for my Youtube in Thailand, Bali, Philippines and South Korea since last year.

All I really want is 1TB of storage - all things being equal, but I am happy that we'll get a faster CPU, better battery life and better memory management/more memory while the 4K recording and gorgeous photo taking ability won't really be significantly changed.

Social Media downgrades our photos. I don't need photos with file sizes so large I can't upload them.

I don't print photos and haven't needed a photo printed in more than 5 years.

I'm all about video taking and editing on my phone and I'm thoroughly satisfied with that.

Last edited:
This will go in history as the day when Apple discovered YouTube. According to rumors, during the event, Apple will reveal another groundbreaking thing - scissors-switch keyboard, after years of tormenting its customers with somewhat drawn/flat keys that didn't work. Be ready to spend big though on Apple's cutting edge tech.
If Apple can cram a scissor-switch KB into an iPhone, I may just need to buy one.

I'm surprised they only pushed the price $1100 for the top end model. I have a feeling these predictions might be wrong and the top one will cost more than that.

Hey Canada is part of North America too. Your time chart needs to include:
Atlantic Time (North America) 2:00 PM

And Canadians like to laugh about time zones too.
We always hear the following phrase on CBC: "And a half hour later in Newfoundland".
Newfoundland Time (North America) 2:30 PM

Man, the iPhone has indeed become costly (for some reason), but you gotta give it to Apple for releasing 4–5 years of iOS software updates, which should entice consumers to buy their devices. I've been using the 6S Plus since it launched in 2016 and it has had four iOS updates already (with the iOS 13 on its way real soon), and it's pretty rad. I'll just wait for a second-hand version of these new iPhones to get my money's worth though, lol.

Ok ok laughs aside, there is only one way Apple product announcements can be tolerated live-ish if you're so inclined, and that's from Engadget's liveblog or whatever they call it. I usually tune in about 45 minutes after the event starts and read up from the bottom (beginning). You can skip all the rah-rah dreck and linger over the new tech in a quasi-live manner.

These pirate patch camera bumps are seriously ugly. Can't believe someone in Apple looked at it and said "I like it, let's go with it".

24 hours on the iPhone 11 Pro, yawn.

Galaxy Note 10+ I get 1day 11hours on battery with normal usage, streaming, fb, instagram, etc.

Back