Watch out for these day-one bugs in Elden Ring

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
PSA: Elden Ring just launched alongside a warning from Bandai Namco that it has some potentially troublesome glitches it is trying to iron out. As long as you are aware of them in advance, none will ruin your experience, hence the announcement from the publisher.

In the PC version of Elden Ring, there are three known bugs. The first is that the mouse is too sensitive "under some conditions." The second involves Easy Anti-Cheat not launching if the player's Steam account name uses 2-byte characters (ex. ÐÆÇØÑ). FromSoftware developers are aware of these issues and will issue a patch for them "in the near future."

The third PC bug concerns frame rate and performance. Under some hardware configurations, the game can slow down and stutter at various times. Bandai Namco assures us that the development team will constantly monitor and improve optimization across different hardware setups. In the meantime, it recommends players be sure they are running the latest graphics card drivers to ensure the best possible performance.

One other problem has been identified, but it is specifically tied to the PlayStation 5 version. This bug is potentially game-breaking if you don't know about it, so the developers wanted to get out ahead of this one.

It seems that if the PS5 is turned off or put into standby mode while a game session is active, data may not save correctly. Turning the system off with a game running is not generally harmful but could cause problems in some games. Standby, on the contrary, is supposed to save your game state so you can pick up precisely where you left off as if the game were on pause.

Bandai Namco says developers have pinpointed what is causing this "phenomenon" and are working on a patch. In the meantime, players can avoid the bug by exiting the game, which automatically saves progress. The publisher recommends doing this frequently, especially when planning to power down or enter standby. FromSoftware should have a patch for this issue soon.

Permalink to story.

RTX 3080's dipping down to 20fps as per Steam mixed reviews, crashes, 250ms frame stutters and recommendations to wait for patch before buying are pretty game breaking imo. It was enough to stop me from buying anyway. Seems DX12 could be a culprit on PC. It's still not always stable.

Yes I am aware not everyone will experience these issues, but not everyone should feel comfortable paying $60+ for a game that may not work as intended with such reports being made.

Last edited:
RTX 3080's dipping down to 20fps as per Steam mixed reviews, crashes, 250ms frame stutters and recommendations to wait for patch before buying are pretty game breaking imo. It was enough to stop me from buying anyway. Seems DX12 could be a culprit on PC. It's still not always stable.

Yes I am aware not everyone will experience these issues, but not everyone should feel comfortable paying $60+ for a game that may not work as intended with such reports being made.
Luckily Steam's refund policy is pretty reliable. Could buy and check if your system can run it. If it can't, guaranteed refund under the 2hr mark (over 2hrs it starts getting less likely, but they are pretty good with refunding if the game does not run well).

It's the DRM. Pirated runs smooth.

It's the DRM. Pirated runs smooth.
It's maddening that the only lessons the gaming world took away from Steam was digital distribution, and not the notion that you need to provide a service that is better than what pirates can, and that the latter is what makes Steam actually work.

Bought it. I5-12600k OC'ed, RTX 3070ti, 32GB ram, pcie gen 4 M.2. Runs like butter WHEN it wants to run. I played maybe two hours of it and then uninstalled and went for the refund. Maybe in a couple months, but this day 1 buggy shite needs to stop especially if it is DRM based. Back to Deedlit and Grim Dawn for me.

RTX 3080's dipping down to 20fps as per Steam mixed reviews, crashes, 250ms frame stutters and recommendations to wait for patch before buying are pretty game breaking imo.
Well, I was only reporting on Bandai's press release and the bugs that they have acknowledged.

Unfortunately, it seems more and more studios are overhyping their games and then shipping crap, which is not worth the price at release. I mean we are even seeing releases with huge day-one patches. WTF? I'm sure a one-day delay won't kill fans, and more likely than not that day-one patch usually doesn't fix half the problems.

Anymore, I just wait. I hate that I have to, but nothing is more frustrating than trying to get into a game that should be good except for the bugs. I don't know if testing has just gone downhill, producers are too hurried to get content out, or if it's just the fact that they can put it out and fix it later unlike the days of the cartridge games. Probably a combination of all of the above. But the day-one quality of games has degenerated considerably.

Well, I was only reporting on Bandai's press release and the bugs that they have acknowledged.

Unfortunately, it seems more and more studios are overhyping their games and then shipping crap, which is not worth the price at release. I mean we are even seeing releases with huge day-one patches. WTF? I'm sure a one-day delay won't kill fans, and more likely than not that day-one patch usually doesn't fix half the problems.

Anymore, I just wait. I hate that I have to, but nothing is more frustrating than trying to get into a game that should be good except for the bugs. I don't know if testing has just gone downhill, producers are too hurried to get content out, or if it's just the fact that they can put it out and fix it later unlike the days of the cartridge games. Probably a combination of all of the above. But the day-one quality of games has degenerated considerably.
It's cool! I agree. The internet makes it possible to update games after release and some studios have continued to run with it. Even DICE admitted they thought there was an "acceptable amount of bugs to be patched post release." They're dug in.

It will be worth the wait though. I don't even like RPG's, but this one seems different. I like everything I've seen about it.

It's cool! I agree. The internet makes it possible to update games after release and some studios have continued to run with it. Even DICE admitted they thought there was an "acceptable amount of bugs to be patched post release." They're dug in.

It will be worth the wait though. I don't even like RPG's, but this one seems different. I like everything I've seen about it.

I don't know how people define RPG these days, but Dark Souls and Elden Ring are rather light on the RPG part, where you basically decide only how you fight. There are practically no dialogue options, or if there are, they are not that meaningful - all you do is fight and explore. I thought something like Fallouts are honest RPGs, but these days the RPG sticker is on any possible video game if it even somewhat resembles the genre, just saying. Character building is a definitive part of RPGs yes, but From Software's games have mostly been about the combat, so they are action games foremost. Also if the setting is fantasy that doesn't make a game RPG.

I personally think that affecting the game world in some way and having different approaches to problems, accompanied with impactful character building, makes an actual RPG, but that's just me, definitons live by the day.
I personally like RPGs, but also 'the character building only' approach of Dark Souls. In fact, I like many video game styles and genres.

Back