Watch the replay: Nvidia's CES 2021 event, RTX 3000 mobile GPUs incoming

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: In just a few hours, CES 2021 will host one of the event's most anticipated conferences: Nvidia's. Starting at 9am PT / 12pm ET, the GeForce RTX 'Game On' keynote is expected to focus on laptop GPUs and the company's take on AMD's 'Smart Address Memory.' We could also see a few new entries in the RTX 3000 desktop series, including the RTX 3080 Ti.

Nvidia tweeted out a teaser for today's event over the weekend, giving a brief glimpse of what's in store.

The first image to appear at around four seconds is an open laptop. We've already heard that Nvidia is set to unveil its mobile range of RTX 3000 cards at CES 2021, and this appears to confirm the rumors.

According to previous reports, Nvidia is prepping mobile incarnations of the RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 in Max-P and Max-Q configurations, while the RTX 3060 will come in a standard version only. We've also seen retailers reveal these cards paired with next-gen Ryzen mobile CPUs.

Another image suggests Nvidia will lift the lid on its version of resizable BAR tech as a rival to AMD's SAM (Smart Access Memory), which requires the latest AMD CPU, GPU, and mobo. The feature doesn't always benefit games, as you can see in Hardware Unboxed's video below.

There's also an image from the Outriders game in the tweet. The third-person shooter RPG comes from the maker of Bulletstorm and Gears of War: Judgment and is expected to be packed with RTX technology.

The announcement most people are eager to hear is for the new desktop cards. Asus appeared to confirm an RTX 3080 Ti with 20GB of memory last month, and we've long heard that two non-Ti versions of the RTX 3060 are incoming, featuring both 6GB and 12GB of VRAM. We might also see an RTX 3050 Ti and RTX 3050. Tune in later today to find out.

Permalink to story.

Btw. I don't quite understand why they launched the 3060 Ti before the bare 3060.

Also, we could really use a successor to the aging GT 1030 now.

Btw. I don't quite understand why they launched the 3060 Ti before the bare 3060.
The 3060 Ti uses a GA104 chip with 10 out of the 48 SMs disabled - effectively over a full GPC gone. So it's very much at the bottom end of the bin distribution for that processor, and thus an ideal product to mop up those dies. The RTX 3060 is rumoured to be using a different GPU (the GA106) and although it's expected to be using near-complete dies, so Nvidia might be holding off launching it (unless they announced it today) until they enough chip inventory.

Also, we could really use a successor to the aging GT 1030 now.
We really could but I don't see it happening any time soon: it's a tiny GPU at just 74 square millimetres and 1.8b transistors. The last time they made anything that small (not including SoCs) was the GK208, I think, and that's from 2013.

Because that will be basically paper launch, nVidia can just show stacks of toilet paper.

I'm so dying to get 3090 or 3080Super-Ti-whatever to put it to work. When I see how much uplift I can get in CUDA and basically render in 30 minutes on one card what right now takes 5 hours... on 3 1080tis, I'm dying inside 5 times a day. Totally gutted.

Few 3090 available nearby are at totally scalping retail prices. After conversion to USD+VAT that's ~2500-2600$. Up yours scalping scum.

3080 Ti = too little, too late, LITERALLY! RTX 3090 already rocking it out in my rig. Originally, the 3080 Ti was what I wanted, but 3090 kinda stole that thunder, and rightfully so. Best GPU I've ever owned.

Also, PNY RTX 3090 still available at MSRP through PNY direct, only wait is a one week wait on the waiting list, then they call you and take your order. Contact Lisette at PNY and ask her to put you on the list. She is the reason I got my 3090 ordered on launch day, and 2 friends got their 3060 Ti's on launch day.

Even if they do, unless they launch with massive supply (which they won’t) it will be a non event.

It's an event whether you get one or not me personally I am looking very much forward to them announcing it (and for it to be releasing BEFORE March hopefully)

I've got my 3rd 3080 since launch and it's an evga still within step up til March.

So for you (someone salty about not getting a product that EVERYONE wants) it might seem like it don't matter but it absolutely does!

3080 Ti = too little, too late, LITERALLY! RTX 3090 already rocking it out in my rig. Originally, the 3080 Ti was what I wanted, but 3090 kinda stole that thunder, and rightfully so. Best GPU I've ever owned.

Also, PNY RTX 3090 still available at MSRP through PNY direct, only wait is a one week wait on the waiting list, then they call you and take your order. Contact Lisette at PNY and ask her to put you on the list. She is the reason I got my 3090 ordered on launch day, and 2 friends got their 3060 Ti's on launch day.

I've got 12 total 3080/3090 since launch (3 for myself the rest were for friends and some family members who game).

The 3090 is nice but it's value proposition isn't so good. I had my choice of cards and had a 3090 for a couple days back in October but the difference in fps between it and the 1st 3080 I had made little since for spending over 225% the money.

I passed it on to a friend in Atlanta who said he'd "take whatever I could get him" and I kept my card that's about 90% of the performance but less than 40% of the cost.

Now the 3080ti is that $sweet spot "I've been looking for if rumors hold true.

A 95% card for only 60% the card sounds perfect especially when it doubles the ram (not something I'm TOO worried about but it's nice to have)

The fact that I'm on my 3rd 3080 (an evga ftw3 ultra picked up in December) im super excited about the 3080ti. If it launches by March I'll easily be able to pay the difference of maybe a couple hundred bucks and get an upgrade essentially guaranteed without any problem trying to hunt down inventory.

The 3090 has only started to look so appealing to so many because of the fact that they were looking at 3080's that were going to cost them $1500 anyways and then the difference in available stock of 3090 at around the same price or paying a scalper roughly the same for less makes it seem pretty easy decision.

But not all of us were forced to make such a terrible decision.

Me personally in that position I would have went without all together but I knew this was coming and I planned accordingly and haven't had a problem getting product even on day 1 (took me 8 hours after launch but I secured a xc3 3080 from Newegg).

I'm glad real customers are getting the 3090s now there early on when a 3080 was $1500 plus a 3090 would be over $3000 (saw plenty going for over $3500) but their "value" is only a thing because of the scalpers instead of inspite of them.

Even if they do, unless they launch with massive supply (which they won’t) it will be a non event.

Yea again I don't think see my above reply to the same guy.

To each his own everyone's allowed have their own "feels" but it's absolutely something many are looking forward to and again for those of us who have prepared for this stock won't be a huge problem.

Quite unlikely, Ethereum is killing GPU mining as we speak (look up Ethereum 2.0), they're moving from PoW to PoS finally. More and more mining rigs are popping up on eBay. They're in damage control mode now, like back in the BTC crash of 2018.
They've been moving fron PoW to PoS since like 3 years now, will 2021 finally be the year?

Yea again I don't think see my above reply to the same guy.

To each his own everyone's allowed have their own "feels" but it's absolutely something many are looking forward to and again for those of us who have prepared for this stock won't be a huge problem.

I did manage to get a 3080 fortunately. Just don’t see the need to flex about it for whatever reason people choose to do so.

So Nvidia thinks that the bus speeds of the VRAM are enough to make up the difference in the amount of VRAM apparently. The RTX 3060 coming with 12 GB at 192bit, while the Ti has only 8GB of 256bit, the 3080 of course having 10GB of 384 bit. So far, the 10GB of VRAM in the 3080 hasn't really hurt it against the RX 6800 XT with 16 GB with 256bit. So we'll see how much it matters later I guess.

Also, I just checked and my motherboard doesn't support resizable BAR, he really didn't mention that the support for that would be beyond the laptop market either, though I'm sure it will be. I guess you'll have to have the latest and greatest MBs to take advantage of that feature.

Last edited:
I'd happily bet an entire pack of double cream Oreos that Nvidia originally planned for the RTX 3060 to just have 6 GB of GDDR6 (with having 6 memory controllers in the GPU, the options are 3, 6, or 12 GB) but they're probably expecting AMD's budget/mid-range 6000 series cards to have 8 GB. So an easy doubling gives them a marketing flag to wave at people.

So Nvidia thinks that the bus speeds of the VRAM are enough to make up the difference in the amount of VRAM apparently. The RTX 3060 coming with 12 GB at 192bit, while the Ti has only 8GB of 256bit
You have to consider the speed of the RAM too: the 3060 is using 15 Gbps GDDR6, whereas the Ti uses 14 Gbps. So the former has 360 GB/s of peak bandwidth to the latter's 448 GB/s - the amount of RAM only really matters when you run out of it, whereas bandwidth is always important.

What does moving to PoW to PoS mean?Im a noob when it comes to this.I am just hoping for a normal price on a gpu.Will this mean mining(which I also dont know what it means) will be done on something other than GPU?So miners wont be interested?

But not all of us were forced to make such a terrible decision.
I guess from YOUR limited needs, there isn't much value. I'm a game modder and 1000 dollars less than the previous generation RTX Titan with the vram to allow me to create custom textures is outside of your understanding, I get that. I have not been delayed waiting on this nice, but less impressive 3080 Ti, I'm already working on a Watchdogs Legion retexture mod and have had some good hours of progress into it.

The fact that it's the fastest gaming GPU on the planet and will remain so even after 3080 Ti's launch is the cherry on top of the sunday as I do love the fact that it's the fastest Cyberpunk 2077 GPU you can play with, pure gaming bliss. But I've been able to do stuff that I only could have managed on a Titan RTX or more expensive Quadro before, for 1500 bucks flat. Literally, 1499.99. I didn't even get hit for tax (yeah, still trying to figure that one out, everybody else I sent to PNY paid tax, so why they didn't charge me tax, I dunno...).

The savings for me is factual, not perceived. I literally could not afford a RTX Titan, but I could scrape together 1499.99 just fine. $1000 dollars saved is $1000 dollars saved, you cannot escape that logic :p

I guess from YOUR limited needs, there isn't much value. I'm a game modder and 1000 dollars less than the previous generation RTX Titan with the vram to allow me to create custom textures is outside of your understanding, I get that. I have not been delayed waiting on this nice, but less impressive 3080 Ti, I'm already working on a Watchdogs Legion retexture mod and have had some good hours of progress into it.

The fact that it's the fastest gaming GPU on the planet and will remain so even after 3080 Ti's launch is the cherry on top of the sunday as I do love the fact that it's the fastest Cyberpunk 2077 GPU you can play with, pure gaming bliss. But I've been able to do stuff that I only could have managed on a Titan RTX or more expensive Quadro before, for 1500 bucks flat. Literally, 1499.99. I didn't even get hit for tax (yeah, still trying to figure that one out, everybody else I sent to PNY paid tax, so why they didn't charge me tax, I dunno...).

The savings for me is factual, not perceived. I literally could not afford a RTX Titan, but I could scrape together 1499.99 just fine. $1000 dollars saved is $1000 dollars saved, you cannot escape that logic :p
You literally said you couldn't spend the money before so it's not really a "savings" at all.

You weren't doing these things before either so what you've done is come up with a use for the part you spent more than double to its 90% sibling.

I'm glad that you've come up with ways as to not waste what little benefit the card has over the other options but it in no way is a "value" unless you were someone already spending the huge money on the previous titan cards for tasks you HAD to do.

I only need a gaming gpu and though I easily could have had a msrp 3090 (I in fact had 4 along with 8 3080's throughout the launch period) but spending all that extra money for a few higher fps I CANNOT see the difference in when gaming on my 4k/120hz vrr enabled oled just made zero sense.

I took that 3090 out of my system and mailed it to a friend in Atlanta who was more than happy to have it (as he wasnt getting anything else if he didn't) and I pocketed that extra 1000 bucks to put towards whatever next top tier gpu comes about.

My experience is effectively the same as yours and outside of some excessive texture nodding can replicate everything you're getting without issue.

If a 3080ti comes I'll take a look but if it's value still doesn't make sense I'll keep that 100) bucks for the 4080 or whatever is next.

Back