Weekend Open Forum: Is the iPad for You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

With an unbelievable amount of hype behind it, Apple's rumored tablet launched this week with mixed reactions, but an overall positive reception considering the crazy expectations set over the past few months.

If anything, the iPad announcement has opened the door to discuss once again the future of personal computing and whether the Tablet form factor will finally reach the masses. Sitting between the iPhone and a full-fledged laptop according to Apple, from the looks of it and the software environment it is based on, the iPad is a giant iPod Touch/iPhone with some enhanced functionality that take advantage of the larger screen and added processing power.

Apple wants to challenge the netbook which in spite of its obvious shortcomings -- many of which have continuously been addressed -- has been selling incredibly well and remains a trend of innovation and growth in the PC market.

Fueled by the popularity and success of the iPhone, the iPad doesn't reinvent the wheel like the smartphone did a few years ago, but it builds upon its strengths while inheriting some of its biggest flaws like the lack of multi-tasking and the closed environment that seemed more forgivable on a cell phone than it could ever be on a real computer.

However, given Apple’s impressive track of success, I wouldn’t dare to call off the iPad this early in the game. The company has showed an amazing ability at marrying the proper software with its own hardware, a feat almost impossible to duplicate in the PC world. The iPad pricing ($499-$829) caught more than one by surprise, but that’s not to say it’s cheap. In comparison, a last-gen netbook like the HP Mini 311 that sells for $400 carries an 11.6-inch display, Atom/Ion combo, 160GB HDD, USB/HDMI connectivity and will run any kind of Windows software you throw at it.

Ultimately it’s you, the early adopters and consumers, who decide to pay or not for such a device and what use you make of it.

Is the iPad for you, why or why not? Discuss.

Permalink to story.

Tiny hard drive, no external ports of any kind, no flash support like they promised, no multi-tasking, no real OS, crappy name...it's an oversized iPod with about as much functionality. It's not even close to what I call a tablet. I don't care if it has a fancy touch screen. That thing is a gigantic hunk of crap that costs you 500 dollars. Just buy an expensive iPod, and an HP Slate. Screw this noise. Apple has been ticking me off for a long time, and this is the last straw. I've lost all my faith in them after this disappointment. MP3 players and phones were pretty much the only things they did moderately well.

If anyone fancies buying this thing, feel free to waste your money. I'd rather spend my money on something that panders to my actual needs and takes things a little step further rather than something that bases itself off of what is popular at the moment and gives me practically nothing else.

I have a Mac-Mini and MacBook, and Dell desktop for serious computer. For entertainment, I have an iPod Classic music and iPod Touch for displaying photos. Everytime I use my iPod Touch I wished it were a larger screen. Voila, the iPad would fulfill that need. Presented as is, I'm ready to buy an iPad.

@ Guest -- It's pretty clear you have no issues with Apple's overbearing, completely profit oriented control over it's products. They go out of their way to disallow certain things so that they can charge you to buy things that are otherwise free/included in virtually EVERY other device out there.

I'm sorry, but their removal of flash from Safari is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard of such an intelligent company doing. They know how to make you pay for things that are free to everyone else. And for some reason, people have been proven to be willing to do that. Yeah, 2 dollars for a game seems cheap, but when that game is free on a flash game site--why do people continue to sit and pay for it? I don't think I will ever understand it.

No thanks.
I had an iPad when I was a kid....except they called it etch-a-sketch

Haha, that is signature worthy.

Eh, I'm among those who think the iPad is a bit short on features. The general premise is understandable, and the price point is mostly right, but the device simply fails on more levels than one -- all of which have been thoroughly outlined.

No multitasking, no Flash, a (mostly) gimped OS, poor connectivity options (HDMI especially), and no camera are unforgivable. I can look past some other things, like the 4:3 aspect ratio and lack of an OLED SKU. It's amusing because when you step back and look at the collective response, people are overwhelmingly shocked by two things: the iPad's lack of functionality, and its surprisingly low starting price.

Maybe Apple thinks it can sell ice to an Eskimo -- and to some extent that's true -- but I imagine they consciously skimped on features to launch the device at a very aggressive price. The company is notorious for pricey hardware, and even various notebook vendors expected the iPad to be $1k. So why isn't it starting at $999?

I believe at least part of Apple's game plan is to get an affordable tablet on the shelves before the competition, and the way things are looking, they will succeed. They'll beat MSI, Asus, Dell, HP(?) and others. Granted, the tech savvy are bashing the iPad, but it will probably still sell okay.

For many, Apple is synonymous with premium quality, and if they're the first to market with a nifty looking device that's priced seemingly low and backed with trendy ad campaign, people will eat it up. Apple is great when it comes to marketing and generating hype, and people are too quick to whip out their AmEx cards.

Hardware aside, the tablet will open the door for more app sales, and Apple gets what, 30% of those? Not to mention the native implementation of other store(s) for music, videos, books and so on.

Is the iPad the greatest thing since sliced bread? No. Will Apple happily report healthy earnings come spring? You betcha.

Yeah I know, no Flash and no camera...I still think it's a great product that will only get better. Price will come down, memory will go up within a year or two.

Something I didn't mention in the WOF story above due to lack of space is that even if the iPad fails miserably on the sales department, it comes from a company that survived for years by selling computers with a big markup to a niche audience, and that audience has expanded dramatically in the last half decade.

On a different note, I agree with most of the negative comments about the iPad missing features, especially the shut environment for third party software. That is typical Apple, and the reason I'd never even consider buying an Apple TV. However I'm not discarding it after ignoring the iPhone for months for similar reasons until I actually gave it a fair chance, bought one and still happen to love my first generation iPhone.

IMO the device success will depend more on the form factor feasibility and usability (usually an Apple strength) rather than USB ports, features or connectivity, in other words, don't see the iPad as a definitive laptop replacement just like netbooks never intended to be that, but rather partial alternatives for specific usage scenarios.

...Price will come down...

It's Apple.
No it won't.

Even if the Tegra based competition runs rings around the AiiiiiiiiiPad, the People who Adore New Devices from Apple* will just become more entrenched in their underdog status. The iWhatevah's will still sell to the Panda's at a premium price and everyone else will still smile at them indulgently as if they were that guy from down the block whose never been the same since he dived head first into the empty swimming pool

*people who are easily distracted by shiny objects,who agonize over how to match their wardrobe to their iPhone and care who Paris Hilton and Hayden Panettiere are

The iPad is for suckers that will buy anything new and shiny. It's total crap in my opinion. Save a few hundred and buy an Ipod touch (it's the exact same thing but fits in your pocket). I'll stick to my zune hd and hold out for the MSI tablet.

This smells of a typical Apple strategy which they implemented with the iPhone: missing off features which are in the 3GS but weren't in the 2G or 3G, which should have been there in the first place - 3G support, videocam, compass (for mapping), etc. This way they can milk the most out of their loyal fanboys by making them pony up for a more expensive newer generation model they release each year. I would be very fond of this strategy if I were an AAPL shareholder, but not as a consumer.

The whole idea behind the Tablet PC is mobile internet and entertainment in a form-factor smaller than the netbook, but larger than the smartphone.

However, I feel that there is no "PC" in the iPad:
- not an open platform where you could install whatever you wish;
- no multitasking;
- no memory expansion options (read: microSD);
- a GPS option would have been nice.

Also, an x86 CPU would be preferable, but it might take a while to get there due to heat concerns and power consumption. IMO, it should be possible with 32nm technology.

While this concept looks interesting, I would recommend waiting for the ASUS and MSI responses, both based on nVidia's Tegra 2 platform, which should offer quite a bit more kick than what the iPad offers and should also end up a bit cheaper.

And to ending this post, I don't see the $500 price point justifiable at all with this hardware. Besides the Apple logo mark-up, this shouldn't be more than $450 WITH 3G included (it's $629 with 3G?!).
IF it had an x86 CPU and proper connectivity options, then this price point would be justifiable.

If I walk down the street with a newspaper under my arm, I'll be fairly safe.

If I walk down the street with an ipad under my arm, I've a fair chance of being mugged.

These shouldn't even be compared to netbooks.

This is another one of Apple's flashy, gimmicky little pocket vacuum plots. Of course profit is the name of the game, but I'm not supposed to KNOW I'm getting ripped off.

You could pick up a high end netbook for $50 less than the 16GB iPad with...an iPod touch OS, plus a few bells and whistles? One thing I can bet you it'll be fast and snappy about is its iTunes music store. Oh boy.

I would go nuts over a tablet running Android though. Or GOOGLE OS :D
But that's if I was prone to going nuts over tablets. But I'm more of a netbook guy, really.

I DO like the month to month 3G support from AT&T.

iPad, no way.

-Got multi touchscreen, but still no multitasking??
-No flash (dont you need that for youtube? and for mopst sites today)
-no expansion possibility,
-only apple software.
- no standard sim slot

And we all know how well an iphone handles a drop, (aka cracked screen)
With this giant iphone clone with no functions, will that handle a drop better...or worse?
...hmm not so hard to imagine what will happen.

all the fanboys and girls will buy it, but thay will buy anything with an apple logo.
but for the rest of us? ...totally useless.

I'd rather get this iPad http://linkcut.net/94b62af7ca

For me its just another fad from apple, but for some people who drink breath and live apple there may not be a better way to waste their money.

spikester48661 said:
go get a netbook for $500. and not a useless,no expansion,no slots and etc. the ipad apples way to get $$$ from sucks.

You can get a full sized laptop for $500 if you buy it at the right time of year. I think the worst thing about the iPad is the fact that they'll release an upgraded version next year. It will have a few more of the features and will render this model obsolete.

IMO,

[Good] Price is fine
[Bad] Low resolution (1024x768, must be at least 1280x1024)
[Good] Good design
[Good] Large frame for easy holding
[Bad] No flash support
[Don't care] No multitasking
[Bad] Headphone jack?
[Bad] It's Apple, won't do anything without iTunes or Apple Store

IMO,

[Good] Price is fine
[Bad] Low resolution (1024x768, must be at least 1280x1024)
Dude, the screen is less than 10 inches. Not to mention it's an LED backlit IPS panel. So, that's actually the very best part of it
[Good] Good design
[Good] Large frame for easy holding
[Bad] No flash support
[Don't care] No multitasking
[Bad] Headphone jack?
[Bad] It's Apple, won't do anything without iTunes or Apple Store
OK, you've listed more bad features than good. Also, the "bad" features you've mentioned are way more important than the good ones.

Now, here's my question, with all the bad features stated, how can "good design" be listed in the first place? That is unless you're speaking to the look of the case. We're all aware the Apple products come in pretty cases.

Since you've presented quite a few objections to its performance, how can the price be "good"? It is logical to assume that if something doesn't do almost everything you might like it to, then the price must be too high for what you're getting.

As i said earlier another way to waste your money.
I say nay, not a waste of time, but rather an .opportunity. I think Steve Jobs should hold "iPod rodeos", by shutting down various interstate highways and allowing iPod owners to competitively d*** around with their touchpads while driving at high speed. For the rest of us "jealous" non Apple owners, this would "thin out the herd". A great public service indeed!

captaincranky says.....
Now, here's my question, with all the bad features stated, how can "good design" be listed in the first place?

Thats like marrying a beautiful woman with extremely unkind heart.:dead:

No multitasking, no ipad for me.

Sometimes you need to cross reference a pdf or word document, a website article you read, and then type an email to someone providing them with information.

Seriously I had a palm pre for 3 weeks and hated the battery, but the cards idea was awesome! Hopefully some android devices will get multitasking.

I still dont see how this can be better than a $300 netbook that has a card reader, wifi, webcam, full keyboard, can use a printer, ANY web browser I want, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back