Weekend Open Forum: What are your favorite techy TV shows?

midian182

Staff member

Now that we live in what’s considered to be a golden age of technology, TV shows that feature the subject have become a lot better. Today, there are a number of series that deal with real issues such as AI, shady corporations, hacking, privacy, and what the future might hold. For this Weekend Open Forum, we want to know what your favorites are.

While it might be closer to sci-fi than tech, I’m a big fan of Netflix’s recent Altered Carbon series. But my personal favorites remain the excellent Mr. Robot and Silicon Valley, which, even though it’s a comedy, was once described as “basically a documentary” by Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel.

The excellent Black Mirror is another brilliant show for tech fans, as is Halt and Catch Fire, which came to an end last year. Edging back into sci-fi territory are Westworld and The Expanse. And there’s also the excellent UK comedy show The IT Crowd.

Whatever tech-related TV shows you love, whether they’re still on today or finished years ago, do let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Shows currently being shown that I am keeping up with are:
The 100
Arrow
Blindspot
Colony
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
The Expanse
Flash
The Last Ship
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD
Shadowhunters
Supergirl​

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD .... oh yeah, and those all day Startrek showings on USTVNOW .... love cutting that cord!

Green Acres....I just love it when Oliver climbs the pole to use the phone
Father Knows Best...Ya know they have a ham radio

The Expanse
Star Trek Discovery
Altered Carbon
Orphan Black
The 100
The Last Ship
Earlier: Stargate SG1, Battlestar Galactica, V., and of course the various Star Trek series.

Current TV shows: Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Mr. Robot, The Gifted, and all DC shows on CWTV.
Previous shows: Orphan Black and my all time favorite, Person of Interest.

Black Mirror is awesome, but Altered Carbon is good to, actually better than I thought it was going to be.

Black Mirror. I need to see Electric Sheep that a friend who likes Black Mirror suggested to me, tho

oh, and Mr Robot started out okay, but eh...

I keep trying to watch black mirror but every episode so far seems to be about social media or cell phone apps of the future... no thx

Altered Carbon is watchable, it has some nice eye candy and I love the cyber punk theme.

Another good show that is not really a tech show... is Happy.

Many, many years ago I was still a subscriber to homecable Philippines, I watched bbc's click tv show. when I went back to my province, my satellite tv provide did not carry bbc so I was no longer aware if the show is still available nowadays.

current 'techy show' that I like is Vikings... I never knew before that floki is the inventor of some 'techs' use by Ragnar and the other vikings. ;)

on a serious note, I like star trek discovery. while there are lapses in the storyline, I love the new look of the bridge of both federation and klingon starships...

Outlander
Supernatural
Star Trek Discovery
The Orville
Supergirl
The Gifted
Legends of tomorrow
Z-Nation
My Life is Techie Enough to make into a Tv Show LOL...
I think I am missing a show or two well that's about it for now.. If I remember it I'll post it...
I must note anything Time Travel in it is a bonus for me.

I'm working through 'Altered Carbon'. I am well familiar with the story having listened to the audiobook several times. Brutal story, brutal world. I understand many parts of the show because I know the background from the book. Must be very different if you never heard/read the story.
almost finished 'Babylon Berlin', it's set in Berlin in the 1920's, despite the reputation of Berlin in this period it's actually a detective/drama.

That's what people want. Fake violence. I say show them the real thing and there would be less
I quite agree. I think the aftermath of violent crime, war, vehicle accidents should be shown in their entire bloody 4k mess complete with screaming, blood and body parts with charcoal corpses.

I quite agree. I think the aftermath of violent crime, war, vehicle accidents should be shown in their entire bloody 4k mess complete with screaming, blood and body parts with charcoal corpses.
Sounds radical but it is not. Imagine kids seeing real gore...It would alter their reality. Just like fights on TV...get slugged in the face 20 times and your lip bleeds when in reality you would have no face left

Sounds radical but it is not. Imagine kids seeing real gore...It would alter their reality. Just like fights on TV...get slugged in the face 20 times and your lip bleeds when in reality you would have no face left
there are a list of possible good outcomes. People drive more carefully, walk more carefully, people will ensure their governments don't get into useless wars. People might even demand action against crime when you see the bloody aftermath of crime scenes.

Back