Weekend Open Forum: What do you think of the new Apple Watch?

Justin Kahn

open forum apple watch

Apple Watch has finally been officially unveiled, likely with much of the same features and functionality you would have expected. I guess one thing that surprised me was the focus on the dial (crown) along the side as a main system controller and the redesigned home screen. Beyond that, Apple unveiled more or less what I think most people were expecting in terms of the basic functionality and integration with iPhone.

Many feel Apple could be the one who really gets wearables off the ground in a major way, but its still hard to say if its iPhone tethered watch will take off like when Apple entered other major new product categories in the past. While full pricing structures have yet to be announced, one can only assume the gold model will be quite expensive, and likely be out dated in a year or so. Similar to the results of a recent pole we reported on, I am certainly interested in the functionality, but I'm still not convinced I'll buy one.

For this week's open forum we want to know your thoughts on the new Apple Watch. Will you be getting one? Or do prefer the smartwatches from other companies? If you weren't someone who already owned a wearable device, has Apple convinced you?

Permalink to story.

Honestly I'm not that impressed. It's an awesome piece of technology. But then so are the crop of Android Wear watches that are out there. Looks wise it's ok. But for my money the Moto 360 and LG G Watch R just look better. And then there's that proposed price.... No!

How long will it take before we hear news stories about people being robbed for the gold iwatch?

The iwatch is rather stupid looking when compared against some of the android offerings from other companies. Omitting a round design is a pretty massive mistake on Apple's part, or just part of their master plan to release incremental nonsense watches every year. Next year the iwatch will have a round model and will be a little bit thinner. Apple will be following the Android trends for the years to come. Everything they unveiled has all been just keeping up with the Jones. As far as I'm concerned Apple hasn't done anything innovative since they released the ipad. Bigger screen sizes, nfc payments, and a watch were Apple's biggest announcements. They literally haven't come up with anything new.

There's going to be a lot of I-morons with these stupid watches soon but hey, at least it will push the industry forward. The more people that adopt the technology the faster the technology will improve. Wearables are still in their infancy and I haven't seen any device that hits a home run yet. As stupid as Apple is they have a way of herding the morons into the new tech trends.

I think I'll wait a year and see what Android watches are available next summer / fall.

Pointless...it's a watch that has to be charged at least once a day, young people anymore typically don't wear watches, other than a novelty item for the iSheep, I don't see it.

Considering I don't plan on ever owning an iPhone, no I won't be owning a iWatch. But I think we should at least wait until there are some reviews before saying it's not worth buying. There's a chance smart watches will be the next thing that we can't live without once we have one, just like the smartphone or microwave.

If I were betting though, I'd say it'll be more like the tablet. Some people love them, but many others don't see the point of them.

I expected apple to do something that would make the smartwatch a more appealing product but it still feels like a niche thing to me.

Not that I'll be buying but:

Moto360 still has the best design though reviews said the battery is atrocious.
LG G watch is ok, good battery life but plain looking.
Samsung gears have 4-5 models (Gear, Gear 2, Gear 2 neo, Gear fit, Gear live) with some with a camera and others with different display, most reviews say that the main issue is the lack of apps.
iwatch looks like any of the LG or Samsung Gear offerings in its rectangular shape, though through the preview, it seems like they have plenty of apps ready when they launch in 2015. No indication on battery life, as usual apple brings in a new power connector to make a bunch of $$$.

All the offerings still suck.

Without cam, wasted product ever from Apple.
This never happens if Steve alive.

I haven't ever bought an Apple anything, for me personally, not a big deal.

But I think as a society we're getting into social media overload. If people with their smart phones can do everything the watch can, they'll do it with the smart phone. Why double up on the same task?

I remember an IT guy had mounted an iPod Nano touch on to a watch strap around 3 years ago. A bit cheaper than the product being offered today!

Frankly I would prefer to buy a decent watch that keeps good time and does not require charging up everyday. Ironically I use my smart phone to tell the time as I don't currently have a working watch. My wife on the other hand has quite a few watches but I would never use on of those as they don't suit me.

Clever but pointless. I haven't worn a watch in about 15 years and these days the phone does the job, though I am considering an automatic analogue because of the simplicity/slightly 'off-the-grid' nature of one.

Disappointed - I expected it to look awesome. It's no better than Android Wear + it's dearer...

Ya it might be cool but for the price no way. The only way it will take off I think is #1 drop the price or #2 make it work without a cell phone.

Honestly I'm not that impressed. It's an awesome piece of technology. But then so are the crop of Android Wear watches that are out there. Looks wise it's ok. But for my money the Moto 360 and LG G Watch R just look better. And then there's that proposed price.... No!

Don't you think the Moto 360 has seriously weak internals? I think the 360 is going to flop compared to other wearables. Besides I'm waiting to see what Microsoft proposes :)

The design, from a jewelry perspective, is boring and unimaginative. Though, I wasn't expecting a Rolex out of Apple (okay, maybe a Rolex price). Apple et al. also need to justify why you would wear such a thing when you've got a smartphone in your pocket/on your hip.

Needless to say, I won't be getting one (from any company). If someone comes out with a smartwatch that doesn't look like it was designed on the set of a 1970s sci-fi film, they still have to convince me that the redundancy is somehow not an issues. Both of these things are unlikely, so I'll be sticking with mechanical watches for the foreseeable futures.

Back