Weekend Open Forum: What is the most amount of time you have spent on a single-player...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

If it's engrossing enough, you can find yourself lost in gameplay for hours and wonder where all the time went.

A few of the games I have spent a considerable amount of time playing include anything in the Grand Theft Auto franchise (particularly GTA 5) Borderlands 2, Fallout 4, Diablo 3 and Skyrim.

Even though Skyrim is almost six years old, I always find myself coming back to it. Most of my time playing the game has been on the PS3 version although I have logged a fair amount on PS4 since the remaster came out.

All totaled between both versions and spread across seven different characters, I have played Skyrim for 938 hours (and have the save files to prove it). What I don't have are the save files of all the characters that I played for a while but deleted (if included, they would put me over the 1,000-hour mark).

What is the one single-player game that you have spent the most time on? Multiplayer games don't count because we all know someone who has played WoW for a gazillion hours.

Top Image by Karasin Group

Permalink to story.

I won't even start a session unless I can pee out the window....Not really, but I did read that once and just had to share it. I have never played for more then a couple hours at a time. I get bored

No measurements, but back in the day I played Diablo 2 every afternoon for like a month or two. I'd take turns with fellow TS editor @Erik so we both progressed, beat the game and kept playing for a while longer until it got boring.

I come from way back gaming wise, so probably Super Mario SNES. Unlocking every level in the pre internet era and no money for a guide book at age 12 takes some time. I never managed 100% some little **** my mom baby sat erased my data.

Last edited:
Fallout: New Vegas - >1000 hours.

Looking forward to Project Brazil (https://www.facebook.com/FalloutProjectBrazil/) and Frontier (http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/).

1337 Dangerous... 'bout 350-400 hours. Skyrim, 150 hours (25% completion only... LuL), Just Cause 2, 130 hours (90% completion), The Division, 'bout 100 hours, Wildlands, 'bout 100 hours.

Day Of The Tentacle and SimCity 2000. Those are probably the games I've spent most time on.

And, oh hell yeah, the original Full Throttle. I had serious trouble completing it - spent numerous hours/nights in frustration... until I found a walkthrough guide on a BBS. My mother was not happy about me printing all those pages just to complete a game, ink was (is) expensive.. ;-)

Just completed Zelda BOTW on my PC via the CEMU emulator and according to the save file, I clocked up 140hrs!

...pretty much unheard of for me to put so much time into any game.

WOW!!! All those wasted hours just playing video games, but if they were enjoyable hours then it's hours well spent. That said, I'm still playing GTA 5 and still haven't finished it yet (single player only, I don't do online/multiplayer stuff) but if I were to estimate the amount of time I've spent on it so far... It's probably close to 200 hours if not more, it's not a game in my Steam library so it's a general estimation. According to my Steam library, I've spent 276 hours playing my Batman games and over 400 hours playing Assassins Creed games. Damn man, I'm embarrassed, you'd think I haven't got more important and better things to do.

It's hard to pick just one as many Golden Oldies have had huge playtime over the years but came out long before Steam's data tracking so there are no hard numbers to compare old vs new games. From memory I'd have to say:-

- Including games with community mods, Doom 2, Neverwinter Nights and Thief 1-2. If you've only ever been playing the "base" game of these three and ignored the plethora of quality community WAD's / modules from the respective huge modding communities, then you've been doing it wrong. I must have easily broken through the 1,000hr playtime each over the years.

- For RTS's, it's Age of Empires 1-2. Praise be to whomever invented "random map skirmishes".

- For open world games, it's joint first for Skyrim and Morrowind.

-
For linear unmodded single-player "base only" games, Deus Ex 1 is probably at the top. Typically 30hrs length (that's 4x Crysis 3's back to back) and at least one playthrough per year since 2001 release, it just never gets old. Bioshock 1, Dragon Age Origins and No One Lives Forever 1-2 have had a fair few replays over the years too but either haven't been out as long or are shorter.

- For really "old school" games, I remember Elite Plus and Frontier: Elite 2 being a massive time-sink grind pursuing that "Elite" status and trying to trigger that damn mythical 1 in +1,000,000 "Thargoid" random jump encounter...

I've put at least hundreds of hours (depending on a title) into Morrowind, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Borderlands 2, Baldur's Gate I and Gothic I. And the longest one-time streak would be 24 hours straight playing Gothic 2 about two years ago, after winter exams session, and about the same with KotOR 2 a year later. Good times.

Now I'm playing Breath of the Wild on my Switch (<3) and I suppose it'll take over a 100 hours, but that isn't actually so much compared to the titles above.

Here's a different one for you: State of Decay (700+ hours)

I dread to think how much time I've spent on games in total. I'm particularly partial to the open world games such as Fallout 4, GTA IV and V, FarCry, Skyrim etc... I love being absorbed in experiencing and exploring a different world.

No idea how many hours, but from nr1 to the latest, Gran Turismo and Command & Conquer.
We would rent a ps1 for the weekend and not switch it of or sleep, just to get as far as possible and now I get to teach my son’s lol

Multiplayer - wow have played vanilla and every expansion but not continuously.

Single player - Skyrim with somewhere around 250 g 300 hours.

Back