Weekend Open Forum: What is your current screensaver?

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Some people change their screensaver more often than they change their socks. Others just set it and forget it. I fall into the later category. I will go for years without changing my screensaver.

For example, my current laptop screensaver is a homemade version of Dexter Morgan’s from the Showtime series Dexter. I just looked on the internet for the blood spatter images that they used on the show, put them in a folder, selected it, and set the screensaver to Ken Burns. It’s exactly like it was on Dexter's lab computer. It has been that way since 2012 when I was binge watching the series on Netflix.

My desktop is another story. I mean, I tend to set it and forget about it on the desktop, too. However, I share that computer with the rest of the family. The screensaver gets changed often, mostly by the kids, but I will change it once in a while. I usually set it to dadisms like, bouncing text that says, “Clean your room,” or “You better have done your homework.” Although I have been known to prank them with a BSOD screensaver. Right now I think its set to a slideshow of pictures of our cat (that would be the daughter's doing).

What is your screensaver right now? How long has it been that way? Perhaps you don't even use a screensaver. If so, why not?

Permalink to story.

I haven't used a screensaver in years. All it does is gum up the works when you get back on the computer. Uses up valuable resources too.

Now if you want to know what my Desktop is, it's a screenshot of one of my adventures in Fallout 4. :)

Um, what's a screen saver??

But in all seriousness, try "Wallpaper Engine". Much better than any screen saver. Live wallpaper! Like a screen saver but much better. Just be aware, it's a system resource hog. Don't use it while gaming.

Not a snob about it, but I haven't used a screensaver since I installed Windows 10. Now I just set my monitor to go to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.

The last screensaver I did use though was a slideshow of my "pictures" folder in Windows 7.

I'll join with the rest of the snobs because I haven't used one since windows 98. I prefer the screen to just turn off, given that I only use a laptop now saves power

Screensaver was developed for CRTs. Our CRTs are on the dumpsite now. They were huge heater. Don't need screensaver anymore. One of my coworker uses screensaver to show her family pictures.

No screensaver. My screen turns off after 15 minutes of inactivity. (Laptop 5 minutes when on battery power)

Screensavers are a relic from the CRT monitor days when images could be burnt in on the monitor. Today they only gunk up the computer.

Why at all have an image on the monitor when you're not using it. That's equivalent to having your tv turned on but not watching anyting..

Imho thats just a waste of energy.

No screensaver. I don't even have my monitor or HDD set to sleep. If I want my computer off, I'll turn it off. At least that is one form of control, MS hasn't taken away from us.

I also haven't used a screensaver in years. Last one was a slideshow of our picture folders but that was with Windows XP (before I upgraded to Windows XP 64bit) and that was like 5 operating systems ago.

I just have mine turn off after about 20 mins or so, The monitor turns itself off after a time without an input signal.

Generally speaking if the computer is on I'm using it and if I'm not using it I put it to sleep.

Black screen of nothingness.

Years ago was using Seti or WCG but sometimes they just completely made machine unresponsive so plain good old black has the last laugh.

Back