Weekend tech reading: AMD vs. Nvidia - Are they even playing the same game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD vs. Nvidia - Are they even playing the same game? In the GPU world there are many flavors, despite the perception that you either get AMD or Nvidia. There is Matrox, WildCat/3D Labs, S3, VIA and a few more. But in the end what you hear the most about are NVIDIA and AMD. These two companies are compared back and forth in a game of favorites that would make a selfish 4 year old proud. Still, can you really compare them in equal terms? TweakTown

Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls The forthcoming Project Natal motion control technology could replace the television remote control in the future, automatically scheduling content according to the people in a room, according to comments made by Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten. GamesIndustry

Google Chrome OS available for Dell Mini 10V If you've got a Dell Mini 10V netbook, you could be rocking Chrome OS before the evening comes. Liliputing reports that Doug Anson of Dell has cobbled together a workable copy of Chrome OS for the Mini 10V using the source code released earlier this month. He and his team have hacked in all the needed hardware support, and they've put it up on the Internet for free. I4U

Activision says "Call of Duty" series tops $3 billion Activision Blizzard Inc said on Friday its "Call of Duty" video game franchise pushed past the $3 billion mark in global retail sales. Overall, the "Call of Duty" series has sold more than 55 million units since its launch in 2003, Activision said, citing data compiled by NPD Group, Charttrack, GfK and internal company estimates. Reuters

Spot on: 15 years of Warcraft Blizzard game design chief Rob Pardo and lead designer Jeff Kaplan discuss acclaimed fantasy franchise's long history, from Orcs and Humans to the World of Warcraft phenomenon. GameSpot

Permalink to story.

Good read on the AMD vs nVidia. The rest were not exactly that interesting to put it mildly.

the nvidia article is scary
what if they succeed in becoming a total monopoly
will every generation on "new" card just be what they are doing with
8800 9800gtx 250 and that stuff from now on?
and everything optimized to cripple amd gpus.....
this is horrible!!

wow, that's eye-opening back there abt Nvidia and AMD. perhaps i can make better decision when i go for my next GPU buy. but hey, it's still a though choice, is it not?

@AMDvsNvidia - Parts of the article are vague and some not accurate, read the comments below and see what I mean, but overall there is one point there that I have also noticed, about Nvidia helping out developers to develop games that perform better on nvidia hardware, just because they more money to do so.

@WOW 15 years - truly, WOW, so silly of me that I didn't realize they were making so much money EACH MONTH off the game... it makes me think... that they should invest more in improving the game haha

@Activision - $3 Billion dollars... seriously stop whining about piracy, I mean really...

@Google Chrome OS - this thing is !!8GB!! to download.... this is more than any commercial OS I know (XP, Vista, 7, OS X, etc...). I can't find an explanation on why the hell this is so huge.

Interesting read even if not totally accurate. I agree that ATI is going to have to start working with developers more on game titles that are optimized for their cards and they really need to create a working physics solution to counter PhysX.

@AMD vs Nvidia

Don't believe everything you read, kids. Do some research and ask why the author is the "expert" on the subject. What made THAT guy the person to ask about GPU structures and how it all functions? He made it an oversimplification? How the heck do we even know he really understands what he's talking about? Another B.S. article published to mislead readers. It wasn't even about what I thought it would be about.

Everyone is talking about Project Natal and how awesome it will be but noone talks about how much it will cost, if it requires you to have an xbox 360 (it does as it seems) and will it recognise other languages than english?

I hope ATI partner up with more game developers and studios to make their games perform better on ATI hardware..to compete with Nvidia's almost monopoly

I have alot of doubts about project natal, tho I hoped this kind of tech would be coming after seeing them preview it I was horrified at all the lies and fake stuff they showed us before. A lot of jittering and 2 second delay times are just not good enough my friends fix it. Why do I see subscription fees along with this device ? Console is about 1 thing taking as much money from you as they can, DLC is all there fault now we can never get a full game anymore.

I was expecting a more interesting article about amd vs nvidia but i just got a vague article which compares 2 gpu's.
On the other hand the other articles where a good read. ^_^ Call of Duty is one of my favorites series of all time!

Dunno guys, I checkout out the Nvidia/ATI article and it seems pretty ok - I never really read much about shader processors, and this really explained things.

Though in the end, benchmarks are the determining factor, not who has a more "right" direction in the development of their technology.

@WOW 15 years - truly, WOW, so silly of me that I didn't realize they were making so much money EACH MONTH off the game... it makes me think... that they should invest more in improving the game haha

15 years of Warcraft, not World of War craft. The two are very different.

I personally enjoyed the ATI/Nvidia article. Its interesting to know what the companies mean when they brag about their GPU's stream processor count.

Yah, as many have said here, that ATi vs nVidia article is biased trash. It talks up the philosophy that nVidia uses, yet completely glosses over the arguments for ATi's methods, as if they don't even matter. The kicker for me was when he started talking about ATi not being able to run PhysX in their cards. Well, DUH, nVidia won't allow that... EVER. So why even worry about it? And why not mention AMD/ATi's push for an open physics processor initiative?

Biased, inaccurate drivel supporting the author's opinions, yet being pushed off as factual researched fact. Gotta love the internet! :)

The AMD vs nVidia article seemed like it was just an opinion without any factual information to back it up, having some previous knowledge about how things work says otehrwise.

I haven't liked Warcraft since the Warcraft 2 Expansion.

the AMD vs Nvidia was a good read. the standard answer whenever I ask someone about the best graphic card seems to be Nvidia, while processor is Intel. Whether or not they're actually superior, they definitely seem to be more popular even though AMD tends to be cheaper. As for some of the other brands, I've never even heard of them lol

oh yea and who actually looks at the no. of shaders when buying a graphics card...i really dont lol. Usually just pick my fav games, than look at the benchmarks like blackIrish said.

1. I don't care about those other companies :)
2. Am I the only one not looking forward to to this?
3. I'm happy with Win 7
4. And now they want to give PC users the boot
5. I used to like WArcraft but WoW ruined it for me

this is just my personal opinion but i think nvidia is becoming the next microsoft / apple with the way they do there business of trying to utterly make it unfair to all other companies that sell the same products.

Kind of sucks how NVIDIA manages to invest so much money into game developing, and AMD is ... well, not =P wouldn't it be better in general for the consumer if everything were standardized and not optimized for one type of card or the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back