Weekend tech reading: EA sneaks SecuROM in Dragon Age II

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

EA fails to disclose SecuROM in Dragon Age II Those of you who know me, know that I love Dragon Age: Origins and the Dragon Age universe. You also know that I loathe DRM, especially SecuRom. You can imagine how dismayed I was when I read a Reclaim Your Game report today revealing that despite not disclosing the fact anywhere on the game packing or even in the 28-page EULA, disc-based copies of Dragon Age II contain the destructive, intrusive DRM known as SecuRom. Vivid Gamer

Japan scrambles to avert meltdowns as nuclear crisis builds Japanese officials were struggling Sunday with a growing nuclear crisis and the threat of multiple meltdowns, as more than 170,000 people were evacuated from the quake- and tsunami-savaged northeastern coast where police fear more than 10,000 people may have already died. A partial meltdown was already likely under way at one nuclear reactor... The Globe and Mail

Windows 8 taskbar update leaks out in another image It's not every day that a new Windows 8 image surfaces. While the image presented above does not reveal anything new, it is a second look at the upcoming improvements that Windows 8 will provide. Ever since Windows 8 hit milestone 3, more users on various forums have been reporting that they have finally been issued a version of the platform for testing purposes. Neowin

DICE: Our competitors are getting lazy. We're coming for them. Battlefield 3 developer DICE has thrown down the gauntlet in the raging battle for first-person shooter supremacy, warning its rivals: We're coming for you. Speaking in the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine - which is arriving with subscribers now - DICE GM, Karl-Magnus Troedsson was more than confident in his stunning FPS, cautioning the competition: "they had better watch out". CVG

Pwn2Own day 2: iPhone, BlackBerry beaten After successful attacks on Safari and Internet Explorer 8 on Wednesday, the second day of Pwn2Own saw the iPhone 4 and then the BlackBerry Torch 9800 successfully exploited. The annual security competition allows researchers to win any systems that they successfully compromise, and also awards them cash rewards if those security flaws are still present in the latest version of the software. Ars Technica

TSA to retest airport body scanners for radiation The Transportation Security Administration announced Friday that it would retest every full-body X-ray scanner that emits ionizing radiation — 247 machines at 38 airports — after maintenance records on some of the devices showed radiation levels 10 times higher than expected. USA Today

iPad 2 Wi-Fi teardown The iPad has come back to iFixit! And this time, it has a 2 at the end of its name, hence the iPad 2! After a much awaited debut, the iPad 2 is expected to fill in the gaps left by the first generation iPad. iFixit

Permalink to story.

DA2 seems to be off to real rocky start. First that guy who made a snarky comment on the forums who then couldn't play his game, and now SecuRom being installed without prior notification.

Wasn't it just a couple days ago that EA said it would renew its focus on the PC platform? Great head start there, guys.

Well enjoy the lawsuits EA. You were ordered to inform consumers of when a product uses securom and you failed to comply.

SecuROM made me go PIRATE. Being totally honest; the limitations of SecuROM is just too much for me (and many I know). We never copied anything, we never downloaded anything. And then SecuROM came and totally wrecked the party...

I'm ignorant about SecuRom, what is it about it that is apparently more objectionable than other DRM's? is it the five machine/install limit?
come to think of it, is this the DRM that lead to the Crysis "de-authorization" tool?

Haven't they lost enough over SecuROM to know better? Well, there's me actively refusing to buy DA2 until they strip SecuROM from it.

The best part is, a Bioware rep actively said DA2 would not use SecuROM.

There is no SecuROM in Dragon Age 2, it's a load of BS and bad journalism. Get your facts straight Matthew DeCarlo.

Guest said:
There is no SecuROM in Dragon Age 2, it's a load of BS and bad journalism. Get your facts straight Matthew DeCarlo.

It's actually coming from Vivid Gamer. This is just an article linking to other news around the web. So if the info on DAII is wrong it is Vivid Gamer's fault.

Guest said:

I love how to try and make your insult towards him personal you took the time to COPY and PASTE his name. I'm sure your insult means so much more when you didn't even know who you were supposed to be insulting.

For those too lazy to google...

According to BioWare, the SecuROM alarm bells sounded due to a another Sony-branded DRM measure, Release Control.

Because the two pieces of software use similar library files, various folders bearing the SecuROM name appeared on computers. These files can be removed without problems. Further details can be found here - .

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4921/showhome/true

Dragon age 2 is already up and playable on torrent sites so this will only hurt those who payed for it..good job! I loved dragon age 1, but read somewhere that someone beat Dragon age 2 in 1 day and was discouraged from getting it.

B00kWyrm said:
For those too lazy to google...

According to BioWare, the SecuROM alarm bells sounded due to a another Sony-branded DRM measure, Release Control.

Because the two pieces of software use similar library files, various folders bearing the SecuROM name appeared on computers. These files can be removed without problems. Further details can be found here - .

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4921/showhome/true

I still won't trust anything from sony after when I had to reformat my computer after ripping a music CD.

They could have easily changed the name of those folders, there's a reason they didn't.

@BF3
They're right, the FPS genre and their main competition has been pretty stagnant over the years. I hope they can deliver a serious next generation leap in graphics/gameplay that us PC gamers can enjoy for years to come.

@DA2
Even though this SecuROM release control isn't the same SecuROM we all know and despise, it is still shameful of them to not disclose it fully. I'm guessing they feared any mention of something related to SecuROM would anger some and decided it was best to not mention it which in my book is even worse.

I don't understand why they had to change things from DA Origins to begin with as it worked perfectly.

Guest said:

Matthew is simply posting hot trending tech topics from this weekend, he isn't actually the author of any of them. Maybe you should learn to get your facts straight.

Back