Weekend tech reading: EA to launch PC gaming campaign?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Why has EA bought the domain CampaignforPCGaming.com? Electronic Arts has a somewhat mixed record when it comes to PC gaming. On the one hand it has released a number of well known exclusive PC game titles such as The Sims, Spore, and others. It's also releasing C free-to-play games like Battlefield Heroes and the upcoming Battlefield Play4Free game. On the other hand it tends to treat the PC like a second class game platform... Big Download

60% of AOL's profits come from misinformed customers Ken Auletta's big New Yorker piece on AOL (subscription only) this week revealed an interesting detail about the company's inner workings. According to Auletta, 80% of AOL's profits come from subscribers, and 75% of those subscribers are paying for something they don't actually need. The Huffington Post

What happens when the CD factory closes? PITMAN, N.J.-- In this corner of the music universe, you won't find many limousines, groupies, or people lighting guitars on fire. While the public often associates the music business with jet-setting rock stars and lavish living, this place is marked by minivans, Phillies and Eagles fans, and, very soon, people without work. CNET

Ballmer to Hu: 90% of Microsoft customers in China using pirated software While Chinese President Hu Jintao knew he'd face some tough questions when he came to the United States this week, he probably figured most of them would come from Barack Obama and members of Congress. But you can add Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to that list. Network World

Graphene won't replace silicon in CPUs, says IBM It appears that silicon will see another day. In an about-face move, IBM has revealed that graphene can’t fully replace silicon inside CPUs reports Bit-tech, a UK-based hardware enthusiast site. The reason? A graphene transistor can't actually be completely switched off. ZDNet

Firing Points: Rage Quitting I love me some Left 4 Dead 2, but it can be hard to get a good game going because people give up so easily. If your whole team makes it to the end of Dead Center as Survivors, and then you Charge somebody out a window as Infected, they're probably going to rage quit. Firing Squad

Permalink to story.

Amazing. This is the first time I've read most of the articles in Weekend Tech Reading. I love it!

lol, like Hu really cares about anything that Obama says... Much less Ballmer. The Chinese are laughing at us right now, and have been for a very long time.

EA to launch PC gaming campaign? Right, and then I hear things like Crysis 2 Xbox 360-only demo (published by EA).

Julio said:
EA to launch PC gaming campaign? Right, and then I hear things like Crysis 2 Xbox 360-only demo (published by EA).

I completely agree with you, but the main appeal of crysis 2 is the graphics. You can't show off graphics on the 360 so It's like they aren't releasing a demo at all. I bet they know they've already created a fan base that will buy the game regardless. They want to extend that fan base to the console market.

yRaz said:
Julio said:

I completely agree with you, but the main appeal of crysis 2 is the graphics. You can't show off graphics on the 360 so It's like they aren't releasing a demo at all. I bet they know they've already created a fan base that will buy the game regardless. They want to extend that fan base to the console market.

I don't know what's worse, you defending EA or EA not release demos (yeah, it's not only Crysis 2) for PC.

A terrific collection of techno-nerd articles - you guys do a great job of putting these together each Sunday. The EA article definitely lends itself to doubt. EA has played both sides of the swing for 4-5 years now. Let's see what they really end up doing (which as far as PC gamers are concerned basically amounts to "how much will you pay me?").

Lawfer said:
yRaz said:
Julio said:

I don't know what's worse, you defending EA or EA not release demos (yeah, it's not only Crysis 2) for PC.

I'm not defending them, that's just what/why I think is happening.

It's best to judge EA by the company's actions from this point going forward. If they really are committed to PC gaming, then we'll find out in next 11 months.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
It's best to judge EA by the company's actions from this point going forward. If they really are committed to PC gaming, then we'll find out in next 11 months.

I agree, EA has been slowly doing good by us PC gamers and I am definitely interested to see what they have up their sleeve. But it's still hard to forget all the dumb stuff they've done, especially when they continue with things like exclusive console demo's like Julio points out.

Oh you mean like how great of a job they've done with NFS Hot Pursuit on the PC....that people with serious gaming rigs are getting console like framerates, at launch Quad core systems crashed when loading a race, etc, etc,. And nevermind the fact that they just released a patch for retail boxed games...without sending one to Steam last week that has effectively halved the online gaming community due to version incompatabilities and it's not an autopatch so the compatability issue is even worsened.

Back