Weird wifi situation

learninmypc

Got home yesterday afternoon & saw my XP monitor black, yet I saw the power button an amber color. Messed with the mouse & keyboard a bit but still nothing from monitor. I could hear the towr/desktop humming away so to make a looong story short, I grabbed my XP disk & started over. Got everything done & online with my ethernet cord but my wifi is strange.
Yes, I did alot of googling for hours to no avail,
I even used the Belkin CD & was finally able to get on the MAIN wifi router here but not the one at my end of the bldg which has a different SSID/password. My W10 & XP are about 4' from the router which my W10 is using the wifi from. I want to get my XP back on the router it was on at first. TIA Please use english, I'm confessing to ignorance on this.

Hi The first thing I would do is look in devise manager and see if there are any yellow marks. Uninstall the network adapter and let windows find a driver. Let us know how things go.(y)

Ok, let me clarify this. From the first time I reset it, I had NO problems connecting with either wifi or ethernet. That was around Oct 27, 2017. I will go thru the links you posted & hope:)

Ok, let me clarify this. From the first time I reset it, I had NO problems connecting with either wifi or ethernet. That was around Oct 27, 2017. I will go thru the links you posted & hope:)
OK! I'm sure you will get it solved! Thanks for your reply! I know you know XP is not supported. You may want to stay off the internet, but hay you have the installation media, so no worries.

Hi remember a little about my XP days. Every time I reinstalled XP, I would lose the internet connection. I just don't remember what I done to fix the problem. I do remember it was a driver problem. Sorry. I'm sure you will figure it out.

Well, possibly Saturday I will reinstall it again in hopes all goes well. If not, no bid deal, XP is safer offline.

able to get on the MAIN wifi router here but not the one at my end of the bldg which has a different SSID/password.
so how is the remote router connected to the main? Can you confirm or correct this diagram:

• Main(lan slot)---wired---(wan slot)Remote wifi

AN update. I just now reinstalled XP Pro so I'm hoping that will fix the problem.
To answer your question, The remote router is plugged into the ethernet outlet at my end but the SSID/password is default I guess is the word. I had the remote router put in because I clean friends pc's & sometimes it don't have wifi. My W10 pc I'm on right now is using the remote router. Will update this thread once I "hopefully" get it online wirelessly. Your help is sincerely appreciated. :)

The critical part of (lan slot)---wired---(wan slot) is the use of the WAN SLOT on the remote and this creates routing issues for DHCP.

My XP was using wifi from the start which is why I'm now confused. Hopefully it'll get taken care of this time, thank you.

@jobeard , my ipad & iphone both are on the remote router with excellent connection, just my XP desktop refuses to connect to remote router. I found & used the correct CD for my USB wifi but still nothing.It does connect to main router. Have never had this problem before so I'm content as is. Thank you :)

Open Networking & Sharing
on left panel, click Manage Wireless

for the SSID of the remote, right-click and Remove Network

If Network & Sharing is in the Control panel, I don't see it. Network Setup, Network Connection & wireless connection yes.And of course, Internet Options.

Look in the system tray; my Network icon is to the left of the speaker. Right-click the Network and open Network & Sharing Center

Ok, doing exactly that on my XP Pro it still don't show Network & Sharing. It just shows
Disable
Status
Repair
View Available Wireless Networks
Change Windows Firewall settings
Open Network Connections

Hi! You amaze me. You post you don't know any thing about making a new connection. I post two links and less in a minute later, you post that you already tried that.:D

That video shows how to do a dial up connection which I know how to do from years ago. Is a person posting for help in here supposed to remember & post EVERYthing they have tried? Hope not.:)

Back