Western Digital begins sampling 28 TB UltraSMR hard drives

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In context: Shingled magnetic recording (SMR) can increase storage density on hard drives by partly overlapping data tracks, but it also brings slower performance in writing operations compared to traditional, PMR-based drives. Yet, Western Digital is still evolving the technology to provide new density levels to its enterprise clients.

In its most recent earnings call concerning the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2023, Western Digital (WD) confirmed its plans to start selling a new HDD model for "hyperscaler" clients. The 28TB hard disk will use the company's ePMR 2 recording heads with an UltraSMR track layout, which according to WD are already familiar in the enterprise business.

WD CEO David Goeckeler said that product sampling for the new 28TB HDD models will begin soon, providing a new "cutting-edge" product built upon ePMR and UltraSMR technologies for qualification in production environments. Likewise, the company is seemingly ready to ramp up production as soon as the "quick qualification" phase is completed.

Right now, WD is shipping 26TB hard drives, which already use UltraSMR overlapping data tracks, that were introduced a year ago to a select bunch of large cloud and data center customers. Hyperscalers have tested and qualified these drives, getting to know how they behave and perform, so WD is confident that a new 28TB UltraSMR model will be adopted and deployed quickly and smoothly.

As explained by WD's official documentation, ePMR heads increase areal density of written bits thanks to an additional electric current applied to the main pole of the write head. Meanwhile, UltraSMR increases the number of "shingled bands" (I.e., overlapping tracks), providing around 20% of additional storage capacity compared to conventional magnetic recording-based (CMR) platters.

To bring UltraSMR and 28TB SMR drives to the enterprise market, WD seemingly had to use a bunch of additional ancillary technologies next to UltraSMR and ePMR 2. These advanced solutions include triple stage actuators with two-dimensional (TDMR) heads, OptiNAND, Distributed Sector (DSEC) and a proprietary error correcting code (ECC) algorithm designed to avoid data corruption between increasingly adjacent SMR tracks.

While WD is increasing reliance on shingled magnetic recording, Seagate is going all-in with its proprietary Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR) tech coupled with traditional Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) solutions. WD's 28TB SMR hard drives are expected to compete in the enterprise market with Seagate's 32TB HAMR PMR drives, which offer higher storage capacities and more consistent and predictable performance levels.

Permalink to story.

It's no surprise that until the digital disk drives can match and size and cost of these older drives, very little will change ...

Seagate just announced a 50TB HAMR drive, be nice to have 4 of those in raid 6. SSDs just can't compete where capacity is more important than speed. I think it'll be a very long time before we see an end to HDDs if we see that at all. I have 4 drives in my main rig, 2 512GB SSD boot drives, a 2TB NVME for games and a 2TB HHD for local storage I use for local storage of music and movies.

Where?

They said they are testing 5tb platters which will lead to 50tb drives around 2026.
Bethesda announced TES6 and that doesn't have a release date. But, yes, they're working on 5TB platers that will be used in their 10 platter HAMR drives. I don't know if I have to explain this, but 5x10=50

I don't know if I have to explain this, but 5x10=50
So they have NOT announced a 50 tb drive. They have stated they are researching the technology that will one-day produce a 50 tb drive.

I clearly know, that I have to explain there is no announcement of a 50 tb drive. It does not exist. It may in the future.

So they have NOT announced a 50 tb drive. They have stated they are researching the technology that will one-day produce a 50 tb drive.

I clearly know, that I have to explain there is no announcement of a 50 tb drive. It does not exist. It may in the future.
Okay, they announced their "path to" 50TB drives. If you are so well informed, you'd have known that am corrected me appropriately

Thank you. I was hoping they were announced as I need some to replace smaller drives. Alas we will all have to wait until sometime in 2024.

Back