Western Digital to Launch 10,000 RPM Desktop HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
Western Digital to Launch 10,000 RPM SATA Desktop HDD

I saw this on X-Bit labs, I'm just so eager to get my hands on one of these (For testing purposes of course.:D

Western Digital company was the first to unveil a 7200rpm desktop HDD. WD was the first to offer 8MB buffer on desktop intended hard disk drives. Apparently, WD will be the first company to produce the first ever 10 000rpm HDD for desktop computers on the 11th of February this year. With the announcement next Tuesday WD will strengthen its market positions by continuing to bring technologies previously found in servers destined products to consumers data storage market.

Furthermore I saw this quote on The Inquirer which makes me even more eager:

According to a Japanese web-site, WD plans to offer a 5 year limited warranty on the HDD with MTBF of 1.2 million hours. The expected cost was not stated. µ

:dead: Man that's gonna be loud and very hot!

Serial ATA...yum...:D

I wonder how 2 of these beasts will perform in RAID0. Or RAID1.

Any word on sizes? I'd like to see them above 200GB.

the first 10,000 RPM HDDs were SCSI not IDE.
so WD is NOT the first to make a 10K RPM HDD.
they have been made for years and they actually make 15,000 RPM SCSI drives too.

Technically, you're right. There have been 10,000 RPM drives for some time. The key phrase is "the first ever 10 000rpm HDD for desktop computers " I'm translating this as "SCSI isn't for desktop computers because the average home user doesn't have it or even know it exists, therefore SCSI drives don't count, only IDE drives do"

Yes, they should have said the first 10,000 RPM IDE drive, but they're assuming we're all stupid, apparently.

Originally posted by Unregistered
the first 10,000 RPM HDDs were SCSI not IDE.
so WD is NOT the first to make a 10K RPM HDD.
they have been made for years and they actually make 15,000 RPM SCSI drives too.

Yeah, I know. 15k RPM SCSI are out today, it's just that desktop users don't use them.

Any word on performance? I'd like to know what those seek times are.

Originally posted by Unregistered
Technically, you're right. There have been 10,000 RPM drives for some time. The key phrase is "the first ever 10 000rpm HDD for desktop computers " I'm translating this as "SCSI isn't for desktop computers because the average home user doesn't have it or even know it exists, therefore SCSI drives don't count, only IDE drives do"
Guess older Macintosh users weren't desktop users ;) , yeh I know those are pretty obsolete technology compared to now, but they weren't then.

Oh, good point! Apple used to use SCSI as standard. So this IS kind of a lie. :) They would have definitely been better off saying IDE.

Loud? Nah... I realize higher seeks times will raise the dBa of the drive, but it probably won't be enough that is noticable over typical system noise or even to the average user.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Yeah, I know. 15k RPM SCSI are out today, it's just that desktop users don't use them.

Any word on performance? I'd like to know what those seek times are.

5.2ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back